C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active handling tried killing me.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 10:23 AM
Dronski47
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Active handling tried killing me.

So last night driving down the expressway my active handling came on and stayed on, hitting wheel to wheel yanking and locking up wheels all around till I was eventually stopped. I would also like to add while this was going on the DIC also would say service charging system (volt gauge still read 14 Volts) and also active handling calibrating which did not go off. I have been reading on here about how to go about fixing it, but I still have some questions if anyone can help answer them. 1) I currently have no tpms sensors on my wheels. Hasn't been an issue ( I've made several long road trips) but I read that could activate AH. Is this my issue? And if so do I have to buy different sensors for custom wheels? 2) Did the 08 model have the same issue with the steering wheel sensor? If so can I just unplug this and not have to worry about my car doing this again? 3) What are the odds of it being my MAF? (This motor is fully built, but I've had no issues)
Old 05-24-2016, 10:38 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I always disabled it when i start the car
Old 05-24-2016, 10:52 AM
Dronski47
Instructor

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
I always disabled it when i start the car
I tried turning car off and after restarting I turned it off on the console. I'm pretty sure there is a safety thing that will still activate the AH even when off position is selected, because the AH continued to do the same thing.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:57 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

active handling will turn back on if a tire pressure sensor goes dead. what it would do if you started with no sensors, I have no idea. The sensors changed around 08 or 09 so you should double check if you do decide on installing a set.

Also a loose or corroded connector from the chassis to a hub/wheelbearing speed sensor can cause the service active handling and service traction control lights - especially when driving through standing water or while its raining
The one on the left is new and the one on the right is worn. you can make the worn one work by slightly bending the connector. Its highly reccommended that you add some dielectric grease to seal the connector during reassembly

yes the TSB for the steering wheel goes through 2008

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Before you blindly go replacing things you should make sure what is wrong. Just because you see a Service Active Handling message doesn't mean anything other than you need to get it serviced. It does not point to any specific failure and there is definitely more than one failure that can cause that message to be displayed. Also when that message is displayed the Active Handling System is not operational (meaning it is turned off by the EBCM). Stop at an autoparts store that has a scanner that can read ABS codes and see what codes are shown.

Attached you will find the TSB for the Steering Sensor Connector Fix and the 10 DTCs that cause the Service Active Handling message to appear. Several of them are for the steering sensor, some are the yaw sensor and some are the brake pressure sensor.

Bill

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...es-and-tsb.doc

Last edited by el es tu; 05-24-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:31 AM
Dronski47
Instructor

Originally Posted by el es tu
active handling will turn back on if a tire pressure sensor goes dead. what it would do if you started with no sensors, I have no idea. The sensors changed around 08 or 09 so you should double check if you do decide on installing a set.

Also a loose or corroded connector from the chassis to a hub/wheelbearing speed sensor can cause the service active handling and service traction control lights - especially when driving through standing water or while its raining
The one on the left is new and the one on the right is worn. you can make the worn one work by slightly bending the connector. Its highly reccommended that you add some dielectric grease to seal the connector during reassembly

yes the TSB for the steering wheel goes through 2008
This is all very helpful. I'm going to try to make it happen again so I can get it to throw a code. I'm starting to think it has something to do with EBCM, being my DIC read "service charging system". Thank you!
Old 05-24-2016, 12:14 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Dronski47
So last night driving down the expressway my active handling came on and stayed on, hitting wheel to wheel yanking and locking up wheels all around till I was eventually stopped. I would also like to add while this was going on the DIC also would say service charging system (volt gauge still read 14 Volts) and also active handling calibrating which did not go off. I have been reading on here about how to go about fixing it, but I still have some questions if anyone can help answer them. 1) I currently have no tpms sensors on my wheels. Hasn't been an issue ( I've made several long road trips) but I read that could activate AH. Is this my issue? And if so do I have to buy different sensors for custom wheels? 2) Did the 08 model have the same issue with the steering wheel sensor? If so can I just unplug this and not have to worry about my car doing this again? 3) What are the odds of it being my MAF? (This motor is fully built, but I've had no issues)
Hello Dronski47,

We are so sorry that you experienced this Active Handling concern, and we’re glad that you are safe. Have you brought this to the attention of your dealer? We recognize that you may be seeking advice from other forum users, but if you would like to have your dealer take a look, please send us a private message so that we can help facilitate a service appointment. We look forward to your reply.

Best,
Lauren E
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-24-2016, 03:12 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

If it is going to throw a code when this happens, then it already did throw a code and that code is stored in memory. I doubt that a code was thrown though.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:00 PM
Dronski47
Instructor

Originally Posted by cclive
If it is going to throw a code when this happens, then it already did throw a code and that code is stored in memory. I doubt that a code was thrown though.
Yeah it did not throw a code unfortunately. Drove it for awhile tonight with the code reader on it hoping for something and of course it didn't act up at all.

Last edited by Dronski47; 05-24-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:18 AM
napp e roots
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I disconnected the steering position sensor this disables the AH system. Other then that there is no solution that is 100% going to fix this random braking issue
Old 05-25-2016, 01:25 PM
Dronski47
Instructor

Originally Posted by napp e roots
I disconnected the steering position sensor this disables the AH system. Other then that there is no solution that is 100% going to fix this random braking issue
That is exactly what I'm going to do this afternoon. I don't like even having the idea around that this could happen again. I was so fortunate no one was beside me when it acted up.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:37 PM
///DarkSide\\\
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

You said you have aftermarket wheels. Are your tires not stock sizes? Having the incorrect front tire to rear tire offset diameter ratio can cause AC to engage at speed. IIRC...
Old 05-29-2016, 01:29 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Default Active handling tried killing me...

Man I'm glad I found this thread something similar is happening with my car a 2011 gs when i turn slightly left the left front tire brakes go on and is very dangerous I changed the left front wheel bearing thinking the speed sensor my have gone bad and it continues to happen, I do get a service active handling control which goes way this thing is getting old.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:38 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Active handling is controlled by the EBCM, with the steering wheel sensor directly wired into the EBCM.

On the early model C6's with telescoping steering wheels, there was a problem with the steering wheel sensor wires getting stripped and grounded out, and a clip was issued as part of a TSB/recall to solve the problem.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:19 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Active handling is controlled by the EBCM, with the steering wheel sensor directly wired into the EBCM.

On the early model C6's with telescoping steering wheels, there was a problem with the steering wheel sensor wires getting stripped and grounded out, and a clip was issued as part of a TSB/recall to solve the problem.
Where can I find the steering wheel positioning sensor so I can disconnect it, I'm scared to drive my car as soon as there is a minor left turn at speeds above 30 mph left front tire starts to get the brakes applied some times so severe tire locks temporarily then pulsates.

I press t/c bottom two times to go to competitive driving and it still does it though to a lesser extent, is still dangerous.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:21 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by xBoostx
Where can I find the steering wheel positioning sensor so I can disconnect it, I'm scared to drive my car as soon as there is a minor left turn at speeds above 30 mph left front tire starts to get the brakes applied some times so severe tire locks temporarily then pulsates.

I press t/c bottom two times to go to competitive driving and it still does it though to a lesser extent, is still dangerous.
Thats because competition mode isnt the off mode - hold down the TC button until the DIC states ACTIVE HANDLING AND TRACTION CONTROL OFF - then youll be good to go.

Alternatively you can just disconnect the sensor with these directions:

This thread:https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-defeated.html

Originally Posted by mikymu
Yes, you heard that right. Thanks to tips from Germany's krisa9977 I was able to disable active handling without using dummy TPMS in a pressurized pipe - see thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-handling.html

I started a new thread because I feel strongly this is a topic most track rats need to know as not to ruin their track event if one of their TPMS goes bad. It is really simple to disable your active handling in 2 minutes. You can still select traction control ON or OFF and ABS still works. This is not for street driving and only to be used on the track and exercise caution if you chose to drive without active handling.

Here is the pain you will feel if somehow your TPMS goes bad or if you don't have TPMS in your track wheels and could not turn off active handling. Frankly it is flat out dangerous to have active handling kick in suddenly on the track when you least expect it.

First remove the plastic panel under the steering wheel column. pull down hard on the three plastic retainer screws and the cover will pop loose

Locate the steering wheel position sensor and disconnect the white sensor wire connector

When you start the car you will see the warning "service active handling". You can change the message to other engine parameters

I went out for a drive with Michelin slicks on a cold night without TPMS and make sharp turns at >0.9 G and active handling did not kick in

Will have full report on how the car handle with this setup after this weekend's track event

Last edited by el es tu; 06-01-2016 at 12:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
xBoostx (06-02-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Active handling tried killing me.

Quick Reply: Active handling tried killing me.