C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Instrument Cluster

Old 05-24-2016, 01:53 PM
RKvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 Instrument Cluster

Hello,

I have a line out on my DIC and apparently need to replace my cluster. I see there are some advertised as HUD. Is there actually a difference? If so, what is it?

I do have a 2005 Z51 MN6 car with most all options, including HUD.

Thanks!
Rich
Old 05-24-2016, 02:08 PM
jallen355
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You have a "Line" out? Do you mean a "light"...as in a bulb? They can be easily replaced, if so.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:13 PM
RKvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by jallen355
You have a "Line" out? Do you mean a "light"...as in a bulb? They can be easily replaced, if so.
One of the vertical lines on the LCD for the DIC is out. I'm all ears for easy.

Last edited by RKvette; 05-24-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:11 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I would be first checking all the tiny connections on the display itself but if nothing comes up there, I think someone like Corvette recyclers would be the place to go. I've never heard of this issue here on the forum so it certainly is not common.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:52 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RKvette
One of the vertical lines on the LCD for the DIC is out. I'm all ears for easy.
If you could post a pic it would be great. However, I think I know what you are talking about. If its on the DIC, then it would be an issue with the actual cluster itself. The HUD (Heads Up Display) is a completely different part. If you look above the steering wheel on the top of the dash, you should either see a cut out or something that looks like it can be cut out. Thats where the HUD goes. Do a search and you will find lots of post on installation.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:57 PM
cclive
Team Owner

The cluster for the HUD is a different part because it has the HUD button set on the left side. You could probably just move your buttons over from your old one but I have no way of knowing if that will work for sure...
Old 05-25-2016, 03:54 PM
RKvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by schizcat
If you could post a pic it would be great. However, I think I know what you are talking about. If its on the DIC, then it would be an issue with the actual cluster itself. The HUD (Heads Up Display) is a completely different part. If you look above the steering wheel on the top of the dash, you should either see a cut out or something that looks like it can be cut out. Thats where the HUD goes. Do a search and you will find lots of post on installation.

Thank you.

It's on the DIC. The reason I'm asking about the HUD, which I have, is I want to be aware of any compatibility issues with a used cluster.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:06 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The HUD has wires to activate it that come from the cluster. Non HUD cars don't have those wires so that is why they make a special harness for people that want to add HUD to a non HUD car.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:46 PM
RKvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by timd38
The HUD has wires to activate it that come from the cluster. Non HUD cars don't have those wires so that is why they make a special harness for people that want to add HUD to a non HUD car.
So if I understand correctly, the difference between a hud car and non hud car is in the harness and button, and not the clusters.

Agreed?
Old 05-25-2016, 09:11 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by RKvette
So if I understand correctly, the difference between a hud car and non hud car is in the harness and button, and not the clusters.

Agreed?
That is my understanding as well. I added a HUD this past winter and had to tap into the harness to make it all work.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:41 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,004 Likes on 2,168 Posts

The DIC is in the Dash gauge cluster, and the Heads up display is a whole different unit.

So on the DIC, if you have a entire line out on the display, then easy enough to just pull the gauge cluster apart to find the display line trace that has the problem to resolve it. Hence if the entire DIC was out, then it gets a little more complex since it could be back in the inverter, but with only a single line out on the DIC, bank that it just a bad connection between the board and the display for the single line instead. If such is a little beyond your skill level, then pull the gauge cluster and send it in to someone to have it repairs

If you change the entire gauge cluster instead, then you need to have the replacement cluster programmed to get it to read the correct mileage of the car. So not only are you into the price of a replacement gauge cluster, but GM to reprogram it to read the correct mileage as well.

P.S, If you list your location, might be someone local to you on the board that will repair it for free for you, and even give you a hand pulling it out of the dash if you need help with that as well.

Last edited by Dano523; 05-26-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:53 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,004 Likes on 2,168 Posts

The DIC is in the Dash gauge cluster, and the Heads up display is a whole different unit.

So on the DIC, if you have a entire line out on the display, then easy enough to just pull the gauge cluster apart to find the display line trace that has the problem to resolve it. Hence if the entire DIC was out, then it gets a little more complex since it could be back in the inverter, but with only a single line out on the DIC, bank that it just a bad connection between the board and the display for the single line instead. If such it little beyond your skill level, then pull the gauge cluster and send it in to someone to have it repairs

If you change the entire gauge cluster instead, then you need to have the replacement cluster programmed to get it to read the correct mileage of the car. So not only are you into the price of a replacement gauge cluster, but GM to reprogram it to read the correct mileage as well. Hence you can find used gauge cluster on the cheap, but GM/dealer is going to gouge you when they have to reprogram it to read the correct mileage instead.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:47 PM
RKvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dano523

So on the DIC, if you have a entire line out on the display, then easy enough to just pull the gauge cluster apart to find the display line trace that has the problem to resolve it. Hence if the entire DIC was out, then it gets a little more complex since it could be back in the inverter, but with only a single line out on the DIC, bank that it just a bad connection between the board and the display for the single line instead. If such is a little beyond your skill level, then pull the gauge cluster and send it in to someone to have it repairs

If you change the entire gauge cluster instead, then you need to have the replacement cluster programmed to get it to read the correct mileage of the car. So not only are you into the price of a replacement gauge cluster, but GM to reprogram it to read the correct mileage as well.

P.S, If you list your location, might be someone local to you on the board that will repair it for free for you, and even give you a hand pulling it out of the dash if you need help with that as well.
https://youtu.be/umBo8Q3PF6A
I can certainly check the connections. It is a single line on the DIC. I'm in Southern California.

Thanks!

Last edited by RKvette; 05-26-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:56 AM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

It may or may not be possible to repair the display. The display is a LCD dot matrix which has a driver chip behind it. This driver is most likely the issue.

I am in So Cal also, North Orange county. I have removed the entire dash from my C6 to do a HUD install along with stereo upgrade. Let me know if you want a 2nd set of eyes on this or help with the replacement of the IPC.

Gary
The following users liked this post:
RKvette (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 09:40 AM
RKvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
It may or may not be possible to repair the display. The display is a LCD dot matrix which has a driver chip behind it. This driver is most likely the issue.

I am in So Cal also, North Orange county. I have removed the entire dash from my C6 to do a HUD install along with stereo upgrade. Let me know if you want a 2nd set of eyes on this or help with the replacement of the IPC.

Gary
Thanks. Unfortunately I've taught myself pretty well to remove the cluster and to get to other connectors under the dash (door lock module) due to the steering column lock hunt. Since my last go at it the car has been perfect. My HUD has now recently dropped so I will need to do the dash lift. Not too excited about that, but I've done a lot of homework for the job.

I was kind of thinking it would be a chip. Maybe Dan could offer up where to look or pics?

I'll take a picture of the missing line today. It's right in the center. It's been like that for quite some time, and it's time to fix it. The car is a babied 2005, and I'm the original owner. It has less that 55K, and for a car in California, that's low miles.

Thanks!
Rich
Old 05-27-2016, 06:33 PM
RKvette
Instructor

Here's a photo with the single line out on tbe DIC.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:37 PM
cclive
Team Owner

My bet would be a bad solder joint or loose connection...worth taking it out and at least checking into it. Or you could pretend that you are russian..."BATTERY WOLTAGE"

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Instrument Cluster