C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 06:50 PM
Hoss117
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam swap

Do you pull intake off to change cam?? I herd not and spin cam to put lifter in the tray. I just don't get it lol.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:53 PM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Its true....lol

Originally Posted by Hoss117
Do you pull intake off to change cam?? I herd not and spin cam to put lifter in the tray. I just don't get it lol.
I did my cam swap myself. There is no need to remove the intake to do this because GM placed access to the lifters . . .in the cylinder heads. In other words, you cannot access the lifters from removing the intake like the old style small block chevy. You must remove the cylinder head to remove the lifters in this generation block! The lifters sit in plastic holder, and if you remove the pushrods and rotate the cam, the lifter will actually get slightly wedged into the plastic lifter tray and not fall back down onto the cam or into the block. There are also two access holes on the front of the block where you can stick two long round dowels to absolutely prevent the lifters from falling down. I prefer using the dowel method as I cannot be sure that plastic lifter trays are in good shape. There are plenty of photos on the internet where you can see this design.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:30 PM
SlowBusa08
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JimiHendrix
I did my cam swap myself. There is no need to remove the intake to do this because GM placed access to the lifters . . .in the cylinder heads. In other words, you cannot access the lifters from removing the intake like the old style small block chevy. You must remove the cylinder head to remove the lifters in this generation block! The lifters sit in plastic holder, and if you remove the pushrods and rotate the cam, the lifter will actually get slightly wedged into the plastic lifter tray and not fall back down onto the cam or into the block. There are also two access holes on the front of the block where you can stick two long round dowels to absolutely prevent the lifters from falling down. I prefer using the dowel method as I cannot be sure that plastic lifter trays are in good shape. There are plenty of photos on the internet where you can see this design.
Absolutely recommend propping up the lifters if you aren't going to pull them out. You run the risk of the lifter falling into the engine, or dropping down as you're pulling the cam and getting the cam stuck. If the lifter falls in the engine you can imagine you're sol and the engine is coming out, and if the lifter drops while you're pulling the cam the heads are coming off. Take some time and prop the lifters up.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:32 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Just make sure you're using the right size dowel. It's not like you're sticking something under the lifters.. it's just hanging on to the smaller diameter portion of the lifter near the middle. If what you're using isn't big enough to hold on to that then putting a rod to hold the lifters isn't doing anything. Spin the cam around a few times, use push rods to push on the lifters to make sure they aren't falling back down. If all of them have a bit of resistance holding them up, pull the cam out.

I went with the pull and pray method on mine. Worked out, so I guess that means it'll work for everyone since you read it on the internet

Last edited by schpenxel; 05-24-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:29 PM
SlowBusa08
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel

I went with the pull and pray method on mine.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:24 AM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Dowel example, this is from my most recent cam swap.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:28 PM
ez2spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Steering rack is the biggest pain, everything else was smooth sailing :-)

Get notified of new replies

To Cam swap

Quick Reply: Cam swap