C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing sway bars and shocks(maybe) this weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 09:39 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by GFaulk
The sway bars and shocks have been installed. I had the shocks installed by a local shop. I am thrilled with the result! The shocks are slightly more firm, but not bone jarring. Combined with the sway bars, the car handles much more to my liking. Thanks to all for the suggestions and support.
Awesome. That's the way it is supposed to work. Thank you for your business!

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 07-22-2016, 04:24 PM
Gunbearer
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Awesome. That's the way it is supposed to work. Thank you for your business!

Ive got a set of Z51 bars from Cultrag sitting in my garage waiting ot be installed. just have to find the time.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:01 PM
krazy1
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to the trouble to change the bars & shocks, I would suggest you replace the stock end links with heim joints. It will make a big difference.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:02 AM
MLRS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I"ve read in the forum that when changing sway bars front or rear the car suspension has to be pre load like on wood blocks or ramps, but I"ve seen some forum members that has done it just taking the wheels off and the vette on jacks support. Asking because I'll be doing mine and want to be sure. Thanks for your info and like always proud to be member of the forum.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:10 AM
Jack Boelte
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just changed my shocks and sway bars. Bought a tool made by Lisle (LIS20400) that made working with the top nut on the front strut very easy to remove and install. The sway bars were super easy, I made sure to orient them like the old sway bars before removing the old sway bars.

I did run into a problem. The right rear lower bolt seized to the bushing. I ended up damaging the bushing and bolt getting it out. I'm having a really tough time finding a replacement bushing. I hope I don't have to buy a new control arm...
Old 07-28-2016, 03:43 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by MLRS
I"ve read in the forum that when changing sway bars front or rear the car suspension has to be pre load like on wood blocks or ramps, but I"ve seen some forum members that has done it just taking the wheels off and the vette on jacks support. Asking because I'll be doing mine and want to be sure. Thanks for your info and like always proud to be member of the forum.
Lift the car by whatever method you like, remove the wheel, and use a separate bottle jack to raise the suspension until the end link is unloaded.

If the link on the other side is disconnected, this isn't necessary of course.
The following 2 users liked this post by torquetube:
ClashBandicoot (08-11-2016), MLRS (07-28-2016)

Quick Reply: Installing sway bars and shocks(maybe) this weekend.