C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch is getting stiff when the car is hot.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 10:33 AM
84Ed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch is getting stiff when the car is hot.

Tried searching without much success...hopefully I'm not repeating topics.

It's summer now, this is my 3rd summer with my 08 w/z51 and I just recently noticed that when the car gets hot my clutch pedal gets a lot stiffer. This is most noticeable when in stop and go traffic. Engagement feels different when the pedal is stiff...it sort of studders instead of smoothly engaging. I ranger the fluid regularly and it hasn't looked overly nasty as of late. Once the car cools off the pedal pressure/engagement feels normal again.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 07-01-2016, 12:42 PM
DubsAndSubs
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has been doing this lately as well. No idea what is exactly happening, but I guess 105+ temps will do that sometimes. Once I get moving and get some airflow, it goes away.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:48 PM
84Ed
Intermediate

Today wasn't too bad. Temps were down in the 70's and no traffic, so the clutch didn't seem to get stiff. I think I'm going to try wrapping the tube from the master to slave as it sits over the exhaust. See if that helps any.

Thanks for the reply Dubs. I guess I feel slightly better that this isn't happening to me only.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:31 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Ed
Tried searching without much success...hopefully I'm not repeating topics.

It's summer now, this is my 3rd summer with my 08 w/z51 and I just recently noticed that when the car gets hot my clutch pedal gets a lot stiffer. This is most noticeable when in stop and go traffic. Engagement feels different when the pedal is stiff...it sort of studders instead of smoothly engaging. I ranger the fluid regularly and it hasn't looked overly nasty as of late. Once the car cools off the pedal pressure/engagement feels normal again.

Anyone else experiencing this?
This happens to me when the car gets hot and idling at a stop light for a minute or two. First time I push down on the clutch it feels a little firmer, then it's fine. I believe the exhaust is heating up the clutch fluid. My clutch lines are wrapped with heat tape and I use dot 4 clutch fluid. I have always notice this since the car was new and I am on my second clutch. Next week I am having the clutch master cylinder replaced, I'll ask the tech to wrap the clutch line with more heat tape. Maybe that will help.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 07-03-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:50 AM
84Ed
Intermediate

Appreciate the replies. Guess this is just another corvette thing.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:25 PM
Fighta
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I am having this exact issue with my clutch. Cold starts my clutch goes down and back smooth once the car warms up the clutch begins to feel like a resistance when I push in and release. I guess a spongy feeling? I have tried removing the clutch spring and it is doing the same thing.

The clutch fluid is clear. My 2008 base has about 55k miles on it.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:43 PM
00Hawk#140
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I notice this sometimes too...but i wonder if it causes any extra wear to the clutch etc ?
My Z has over 100k miles and only 1 new clutch so far.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:18 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Ed
......... I think I'm going to try wrapping the tube from the master to slave as it sits over the exhaust. ......
I would do this. My clutch line and remote bleeder are in one of those silver heat resistant sleeves with velcro closure. It's maybe the new LS7 clutch and slave but my clutch is always smooth and fairly light all through the summer much more than it was before.

Last edited by Dutch08; 11-03-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:07 PM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

Everyone with this issue has headers, right? Mine started doing the same thing after I installed headers. The stiffness goes away if you pump the clutch a few times in neutral.

Last edited by Ahrmike; 11-03-2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:26 AM
Z97
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I was the only one lol. My car is bone stock and it will do it after I send it a little bit.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:52 AM
Bishamon
8th Gear

Same problem here on my 08' base, with exactly the same symptoms. My car is bone stock too.

Fluid in the tank is clear and clean, but it's not an insurance that the fluid that's in the lower part of the circuit (lower line and slave) is too. I will completely bleed the clutch from under the car this weekend and see how it goes. This morning I inspected the heat insulation sleeve of the upper line (part that's close to the header) and it's not in great shape, maybe that's also a reason. I will look for a replacement insulation sleeve too.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch is getting stiff when the car is hot.

Quick Reply: Clutch is getting stiff when the car is hot.