C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

finally made a better oil filter socket

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 12:14 AM
PatientZero
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default finally made a better oil filter socket

so I just had to change the oil (base model C6, LS3), and once again had to deal with the crummy stamped steel oil filter socket I got at autozone or wherever. Its not deep enough to allow a 3/8 ratchet to actually fit and lock into place without preventing the oil filter from seating far enough to be gripped by the walls. Plus its either stuck on the filter, or it falls off at exactly the wrong moment.

So I'm pretty sure someone must already make one of these somewhere but I needed a distraction from what I was actually supposed to be doing so I made this today. For all I know they sell these for $20 on summit.com or something lol

It only grips the filter tangentially when turned, its not a press fit. So it wont stick when you dont want it to.

It has a magnet inside that prevents it from falling off and keeps it bonded to the filter until you pull it straight off.

It actually allows a ratchet to fit into it and the filter still seats (imagine that).

Plus a few other things I haven't added to it yet..I'm going to put marks on it every 90 degrees on the side walls so you can tell how far you've turned it. And I'll also add some thick ridges to the outside so its easy to turn by hand, and also remove as much material as possible to reduce weight to its easier to handle.

Any other ideas for it?

The ironic part is I did the oil change before I made this. So now I wont even really get to try this out or need it for months or who knows how long....

Last edited by PatientZero; 07-28-2016 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:44 AM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Talent and great looking tool you have there. But I just use the filter, with nut on the end.

Gotta have ratchet anyway...... HK
Old 07-28-2016, 09:57 AM
PatientZero
Instructor

Originally Posted by HK770
Talent and great looking tool you have there. But I just use the filter, with nut on the end.

Gotta have ratchet anyway...... HK
thanks, yeah I figured there was some other option besides a big socket. I do like using the PF48 stock style filters though.

This makes me want to make something else I can use right away thats not oil change related since I wont be doing that for a long time now....hmmmmmm
Old 07-28-2016, 10:03 AM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

What a work of art! I want one and I don't even change my own oil. :
Old 07-28-2016, 10:23 AM
PatientZero
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Myers
What a work of art! I want one and I don't even change my own oil. :
thanks Ill probably end up selling this one so I can buy more aluminum to make something else out of
Old 07-28-2016, 03:22 PM
long_tall_texan
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice! If you were willing to share the CAD file, I'd print one off on my 3D printer and see how it holds up.

What CAD did you use to design it?
Old 07-28-2016, 04:11 PM
PatientZero
Instructor

Originally Posted by long_tall_texan
Nice! If you were willing to share the CAD file, I'd print one off on my 3D printer and see how it holds up.

What CAD did you use to design it?
I'd like to see that too. But I think I should modify the geometry somewhat to make it more appropriate for 3D printing, specifically where the ratchet 3/8" drive connects. Maybe instead of a square hole, a male hex boss, much bigger, like say 18mm, would be better. Then you'd use a ratchet with a socket. Sound good?

I'll also update the model with some other features I mentioned like hand grips and markings on the edge etc..

Would it be easier to print with the bottom solid as is, or hollowed out sort of like spokes? In aluminum I was thinking of hollowing it out to reduce weight. Not sure whats better in 3D printing.

For modelling I use Solidworks and for toolpath design I use Camworks.
The following users liked this post:
long_tall_texan (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 04:16 PM
long_tall_texan
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

No need to hollow it out. Would want to have the strength of solid plastic there. I use SWX too, and Creo, and Rhino, and AutoCAD.... The list goes on. So you could just send me the native SLDPRT file. Then I can tweak for shrinkage if needed. I'll PM you me email address.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:48 PM
PatientZero
Instructor

Originally Posted by long_tall_texan
No need to hollow it out. Would want to have the strength of solid plastic there. I use SWX too, and Creo, and Rhino, and AutoCAD.... The list goes on. So you could just send me the native SLDPRT file. Then I can tweak for shrinkage if needed. I'll PM you me email address.
Okay I exported as an .STL that way more people can easily print it if they like. Its in millimeters.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...93496703641348

I made two changes, I converted the ratchet hole to a male 18mm (approx) boss, and I added the cutouts for better hand grip. I'm assuming most 3d printers now adays can handle making supports so it will print right..otherwise might need to rethink the boss.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:37 PM
PatientZero
Instructor

added a couple features...cutouts to act as a grip for hand turning and big pockets to remove excess material and make this more lightweight..feels really nice now, the weight it should..

guess I'm going kind of overboard lol... I wont even need this for months and Id like to make something else so I'm gonna put it up for sale so I can buy another block of 6061 to make something out of

Last edited by PatientZero; 08-02-2016 at 08:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To finally made a better oil filter socket

Quick Reply: finally made a better oil filter socket