C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Grand Sport NPP exhaust issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 12:59 PM
C6whinnit
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Grand Sport NPP exhaust issues

Hi all,
Not sure if this question has come up before, did search but couldn't find anything.
When i start the car in the morning the exhaust sounds normal, but after sitting during the day i start up and the baffles are stuck open after about 15 minutes of driving the exhaust goes back to quiet mode.
While i love the loud exhaust it has me as to why it does this. It seems to happen after the car is sitting out in the heat all day, pressure builds up? This has just started happening.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:57 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere. Just start at the actuators on the mufflers and trace as much as you can but it may be a leak in an inaccessible area.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:48 PM
GaVette61
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

This thread has a schematic of the vacuum lines: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ed-closed.html.

The line runs from the back of the intake manifold to the solenoid in the rear bumper. Good luck. I had a problem but mine was only the solenoid valve.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:32 PM
C6whinnit
Heel & Toe

Thanks, i'll take a look this weekend.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:53 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Try triggering the baffle with a pen or your fingers when it has been sitting in the sun to see if they are Sticking -

My thoughts are that if it was indeed a vacuum leak it would stay open all the time - you can check either way and use a vacuum pump on the lines to ensure there are no leaks, plug the opposite end.

Perhaps, by sitting in the sun it is heating up the NPP module and not allowing it to function properly - if at all possible try sitting it in the shade and see if the same thing occurs at the end of the day -

Keep us posted on any findings - then we'll move onto the next step

Thanks,Matt
Old 08-25-2016, 12:57 PM
C6whinnit
Heel & Toe

Thanks Matt,
It definitely appears that it only happens when the car has been sitting all day in the sun i get this issue. I'll see if i can find a shady spot and see what happens. Will also check to see if the baffles are stuck as well.

Thanks

Kevin
Old 10-07-2016, 05:46 PM
C6whinnit
Heel & Toe

Baffles move no problem manually whether hot or cold, I have put the car in the shade later in the day and it definitely makes a difference. Out in the sun all day exhaust is loud, in the shade normal sound.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Grand Sport NPP exhaust issues

Quick Reply: C6 Grand Sport NPP exhaust issues