C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheres my LS3 head guys

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 09:29 PM
arc6
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wheres my LS3 head guys

ok fellas im wanting some input on what way to go with heads . from those of you that have did it on a LS3. im wanting a little bump on compression and to get them ported ect.. What heads did you go with and would you do it again? Car does not have a cam in as of now just trying to get all of my ducks in a row before winter comes and the fun starts to happen .. thanks in advance .
Old 08-31-2016, 09:50 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Hello, getting all your ducks in a row is a good thing. First thing is what's the budget? Second thing is this a max power build? Is this a daily driver? The reason I ask is because you could literally go 25 different ways on cam shaft select, yes I understand that your asking about heads. As far as heads if you have a unlimited budget go with a set of Trick Flow heads from Tony Mamo do his magic with them. While your at it have him spec you a cam for your power/driving needs. If your limited on a budget have AI port your heads and add some thinner head gaskets and purchase an off the shelf cam and assorted parts. Back to the cam shaft, if your getting all your ducks in a row do it right from the beginning. I speak from recent experience, you will spend more money back save in the end ask me how I know. Good luck on your search.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:48 PM
arc6
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah its a DD and im looking to just looking to bump up the compression a little and get the heads cleaned up but i wasnt sure really if any one was better on these motors than the other ..
Old 09-01-2016, 08:56 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by arc6
yeah its a DD and im looking to just looking to bump up the compression a little and get the heads cleaned up but i wasnt sure really if any one was better on these motors than the other ..
arc6, a bump in compression is a simple fix just replace with a thinner head gasket. I would plan out your build so you can utilize labor and tuning cost.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:03 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

IMHO leave the heads alone, do a cam first then see how it goes, have you even tuned the car yet?
Old 09-05-2016, 12:03 AM
KW Baraka
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
IMHO leave the heads alone, do a cam first then see how it goes, have you even tuned the car yet?
Agreed! They heads are the strong link on this engine. If you want a bump in power and it's a daily driver, I would suggest a mild cam along the lines of the Lingenfelter GT11 cam.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/product/...l#.V8zuH-y42ZM

You'll need a new set of 'better than stock' valve springs and a good tune with a cam like this......should easily gain you in the 50 to 60 hp range.

KW

Get notified of new replies

To wheres my LS3 head guys

Quick Reply: wheres my LS3 head guys