C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

active handling issue or need stickier tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 02:16 AM
Ratboy
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Default active handling issue or need stickier tires?

I recently put 4 new Continental DW Extremes on my 08 w/A6. The other day I was flat out at the top of 3rd going up a long steep hill and when it grabbed 4th the active handling engaged message came up and acceleration slowed. I let off and everything seems to be normal. I wonder if I actually had wheelspin or the system had a bad reading. The Conti's are 340 wear rating compared to the Pilot sports that came off it at 220. I've always liked those tires and never felt they lacked in traction until now, but then again, I've never had 436hp pulling them! The pilots seemed kinda short lived which is why I went to the DW's, but maybe now I know why the rears wore out so fast. I don't do burnouts but do let 'er out once in awhile. Anyone else have this happen? I've read about some wacky active handling issues, but this was momentary.

Last edited by Ratboy; 09-23-2016 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:06 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratboy
I recently put 4 new Continental DW Extremes on my 08 w/A6. The other day I was flat out at the top of 3rd going up a long steep hill and when it grabbed 4th the active handling engaged message came up and acceleration slowed. I let off and everything seems to be normal. I wonder if I actually had wheelspin or the system had a bad reading. The Conti's are 340 wear rating compared to the Pilot sports that came off it at 220. I've always liked those tires and never felt they lacked in traction until now, but then again, I've never had 436hp pulling them! The pilots seemed kinda short lived which is why I went to the DW's, but maybe now I know why the rears wore out so fast. I don't do burnouts but do let 'er out once in awhile. Anyone else have this happen? I've read about some wacky active handling issues, but this was momentary.
normal.I wouldn't worry about it
Old 09-26-2016, 06:55 AM
Uncle_John
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Try making the same pass in "competition mode." If it goes fine, hit that setting when you go out for play time.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:28 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Could be many things.
Incorrect tire pressure/ heat range not in spec for the Conti's.
Rear suspension got unloaded.
Oil/ antifreeze at that point on the road.
Physics, driver training.

Is this problem isolated to this one area of the course or are you experiencing in many situations.

Get sticker tires if you wish.

I wouldn't worry.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To active handling issue or need stickier tires?

Quick Reply: active handling issue or need stickier tires?