C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Service vehicle soon" diagnosis advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 04:53 PM
Wampa
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default "Service vehicle soon" variable effort steering inop diagnosis advice

Over 6 months, I've occasionally experienced "service vehicle soon" message at startup and variable effort steering inoperable. Usually, simply restarting the car fixes light and returns steering to normal function for another month. It's beginning to occur more frequently, and this morning the restart didn't fix... I'm relieved actually because now maybe its to a point where I stand a chance of locating the cause. I tried searching it here....but that resulted in 1.46 million threads not related at all... Anyone with experience on this or some knowledge on the system that could help with pinpointing the issue? 2010 base car. Thanks!

Last edited by Wampa; 10-12-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:39 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Can't really help but the VES (magnasteer) is a bit of a strange duck. There have been only a few issues discussed here over the years and most seemed to involve a new rack. So my only suggestion is get it to a dealer or independent tech with a Tech II and scan the VES codes and hope there is a trouble code indicated.

Please let us know what you find out. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:52 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

SERVICE VEHICLE SOON should set a code or codes, those need to be read, not ignored when the car is re-started. If you want to take it to a dealer for diagnosis, then you should wait for the issue to happen and then drive it to the dealer and let him see it while the DIC warning is there.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:19 PM
Wampa
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks cclive, it is my intention to take to dealer next week if I can not find something simple (connection, etc) this weekend. Unfortunately, my scan tool shows no codes. I am relieved it doesn't reset upon every restart currently because I knew that would mean lots of wasted trips to the dealer. I've read up a bit on the system, and seems it probably needs a new rack but i'll check connections/voltages this weekend and reply when its finally diagnosed and fixed.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:03 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Wampa
Thanks cclive, it is my intention to take to dealer next week if I can not find something simple (connection, etc) this weekend. Unfortunately, my scan tool shows no codes. I am relieved it doesn't reset upon every restart currently because I knew that would mean lots of wasted trips to the dealer. I've read up a bit on the system, and seems it probably needs a new rack but i'll check connections/voltages this weekend and reply when its finally diagnosed and fixed.
There are other codes that a consumer scanner will not see, so make sure the DIC is posting and then don't turn off the engine at the dealer. Good luck!
Old 10-17-2016, 11:10 PM
John La Bella
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default service vehicle soon

Hi, I got the "service Vehicle soon " message on the DIC on a recent trip. I noticed that the steering effort increased randomly. Took it to the dealer and a stored code indicated the steering box was bad. My OBD2 tester could not read out the code. The steering box was changed and all is well. I had an extended warranty so it only cost me $50. My car is a 2008 with about 40K miles. Can't believe a steering box can go bad on such a low milage car!

Get notified of new replies

To "Service vehicle soon" diagnosis advice

Quick Reply: "Service vehicle soon" diagnosis advice