C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP exhaust issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 03:32 PM
Chuck624
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NPP exhaust issue

Several years ago, I purchased a factory set of NPP exhaust. I then purchased the retro-fit kit and the Lear to U kit from the now out of business Sunset Orange Creations.
Everything was perfect until someone backed into my Vette at a local grocery store.
A reputable body shop made the repair and all seemed to be well.
Unfortunately I took ill and the car was not driven by me for several months.
Very rarely did I run the Vette in quiet mode, but I had enough drone one day, and tried to put the exhaust in quiet mode....nothing.
As I backed into the garage the quiet mode went into effect as soon as I shifted in reverse and to make things stranger....with my foot on the brake (still in reverse) I pushed the homelink button and the exhaust went into loud mode.
I am not an electrician nor do I possess mechanical skills.
If there is anyone out in the forum that has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate the help. I am not to keen on having the body shop trying to fix this problem.
Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:21 PM
ringo11
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

good news is it sounds like a plug got mated incorrectly or maybe a missing ground connection. I suspect you'll have to take it to a reputable shop and let them pop the tail lights out and check the wiring located behind the rear fascia. Out of curiosity, are the back-up/tail/brake lights functioning correctly?
Old 10-16-2016, 11:12 AM
Chuck624
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ringo11
good news is it sounds like a plug got mated incorrectly or maybe a missing ground connection. I suspect you'll have to take it to a reputable shop and let them pop the tail lights out and check the wiring located behind the rear fascia. Out of curiosity, are the back-up/tail/brake lights functioning correctly?
Yes, the back-up and tail lights are function correctly. Thanks for taking the time to answer!
Old 10-17-2016, 06:38 PM
BigBlok502
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 222 Posts

Are your Homelink buttons programmed to activate/deactivate the NPP valves?
Old 10-17-2016, 06:44 PM
Chuck624
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by BigBlok502
Are your Homelink buttons programmed to activate/deactivate the NPP valves?
Yes they are, which was made achievable by the Lear to u kit. Worked for 3.5 years until I was hit and the bumper came off to be repainted.
Thanks for taking the time to read my thread.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:22 AM
BigBlok502
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Who installed the retrofit kit? Did they install it near the rear bumper? Are you able to re-create the valves opening/closing by putting your car in reverse?

I added NPP to my 2006 with a switch on the console, and I put the controlling solenoid in the passenger foot well. There is nothing in the rear to be damaged with my system.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:33 PM
Chuck624
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by BigBlok502
Who installed the retrofit kit? Did they install it near the rear bumper? Are you able to re-create the valves opening/closing by putting your car in reverse?

I added NPP to my 2006 with a switch on the console, and I put the controlling solenoid in the passenger foot well. There is nothing in the rear to be damaged with my system.
The retrofit kit was installed by a shop in Naples, Florida. This is probably the shop I will return to. As per the instructions the solenoid is reachable by removing the right inner taillight and my guess is the body shop did not pay attention to this wiring when removing the bumper and rewired incorrectly.... Probably to the back up lights. Somewhere there must be a plug or a pair of wires laying loose inside the bumper.
I don't feel qualified to to do this search and rescue mission but value this forums imput and reccomendations, which I can then pass on to the mechanic. Thank you again for your imput and the suggestion to rewire per your installation.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:26 PM
BigBlok502
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Chuck624
The retrofit kit was installed by a shop in Naples, Florida. This is probably the shop I will return to. As per the instructions the solenoid is reachable by removing the right inner taillight and my guess is the body shop did not pay attention to this wiring when removing the bumper and rewired incorrectly.... Probably to the back up lights. Somewhere there must be a plug or a pair of wires laying loose inside the bumper.
I don't feel qualified to to do this search and rescue mission but value this forums imput and reccomendations, which I can then pass on to the mechanic. Thank you again for your imput and the suggestion to rewire per your installation.
It should be an easy repair, good luck.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:12 PM
mefly2
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 198 Posts

Yes, keep us informed ... a wonderful product and missed if not operational.

Get notified of new replies

To NPP exhaust issue

Quick Reply: NPP exhaust issue