C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding an X-Pipe - tell me about the sound, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 10:50 AM
Weedo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adding an X-Pipe - tell me about the sound, etc?

I recently purchased my 5th Corvette (an '08 C6). I'm installing my usual exhaust (Borla) and wondering about what differences you gain by adding an X-Pipe as well. I've done one in the past with the X-Pipe & Borla, but honestly it's been so many years I don't recall the benefit.

Sound: does it sound that much "better" by adding the X-Pipe?
Power: is there any gain in power, say, 4-5hp?
Brand: I found a local GM X-pipe someone is selling but i'm unsure whether there's a big need to go with the $500 Borla X or just go with the GM ($150?).
Old 10-16-2016, 03:27 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

The x-pipe is used to help the exhaust pulses escape and I think some balance for the system. My 11 had a sort of x-pipe that came stock. It may add a couple hp. If you had full length headers then more of course. I don't think the exhaust note would change anything noticeable.
Remember if you do a new mid pipe to check and make sure it is the same diameter.
Robin
Old 10-17-2016, 04:56 PM
Weedo
Drifting

Originally Posted by zrracer
The x-pipe is used to help the exhaust pulses escape and I think some balance for the system. My 11 had a sort of x-pipe that came stock. It may add a couple hp. If you had full length headers then more of course. I don't think the exhaust note would change anything noticeable.
Remember if you do a new mid pipe to check and make sure it is the same diameter.
Robin
Thank you! So, thinking it may be worth my time to install one as the cost is minimal (used, mint). It looks like a relatively easy driveway job, although i'm not sure i'd fit under there close to the front with the rears on ramps!
Old 10-18-2016, 06:13 AM
Detroit1
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Default X pipe experience

Originally Posted by Weedo
I recently purchased my 5th Corvette (an '08 C6). I'm installing my usual exhaust (Borla) and wondering about what differences you gain by adding an X-Pipe as well. I've done one in the past with the X-Pipe & Borla, but honestly it's been so many years I don't recall the benefit.

Brand: I found a local GM X-pipe someone is selling but i'm unsure whether there's a big need to go with the $500 Borla X or just go with the GM ($150?).
I had a C5Z06 with stock H pipe back to Corsa Sports. Picked up an X pipe to get it installed. First make sure that the X pipe will fit into your system without any welding.
I found that the X pipe actually made the sound a bit quitter and removed most of the popping. However, in my case it was a waste of money and you certainly don't gain any noticeable performance.
As already stated adding headers will add more sound and some performance with a tune.

Good luck.
JB
Old 10-18-2016, 09:34 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 289 Likes on 270 Posts

2008 vettes came with a X-pipe, at least my did. Did you check yours?
Old 10-18-2016, 09:57 AM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
2008 vettes came with a X-pipe, at least my did. Did you check yours?
Actually, I don't think that is correct. Mine has an H-pipe. From the research I've done, there are a couple of aspects that people care about that are the why behind straight compared to H compared to X.

For performance, X is most advantageous for exhaust scavenging - in essence creating more vacuum to pull exhaust from one side from the power of the push of the other. H is better in this regard than straight. As already stated, performance gain will be more from LT headers than X from H.

For sound, H tends to give a bit deeper note, while X tends to a higher "european exotic" tone.

This post can be taken FWIW. I have done a bunch of research on some of this, as I sought answers for options I was considering, but I'm not an expert. I think the most informative stuff I found on the subject were YouTube videos from engineers at MagnaFlow, or other known exhaust system companies. They were explaining the different parts in the chain and how they influence overall function and the pros/cons of the different variables in an exhaust system, which technically starts with air intake. No point in making things on the back end really efficient to move air out, if you are sucking through a straw to begin with.

RE OP query on brand - I would look at both and evaluate quality of materials and shape. One maybe stamped while the other more welded and shaped. That said, I suspect the differences won't be that significant regarding power, so I might well lean toward the GM part, if it is a GM part.

Last edited by Midnight08; 10-18-2016 at 10:02 AM. Reason: add
Old 10-18-2016, 10:27 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Midnight08
Actually, I don't think that is correct. Mine has an H-pipe. From the research I've done, there are a couple of aspects that people care about that are the why behind straight compared to H compared to X.

For performance, X is most advantageous for exhaust scavenging - in essence creating more vacuum to pull exhaust from one side from the power of the push of the other. H is better in this regard than straight. As already stated, performance gain will be more from LT headers than X from H.

For sound, H tends to give a bit deeper note, while X tends to a higher "european exotic" tone.

This post can be taken FWIW. I have done a bunch of research on some of this, as I sought answers for options I was considering, but I'm not an expert. I think the most informative stuff I found on the subject were YouTube videos from engineers at MagnaFlow, or other known exhaust system companies. They were explaining the different parts in the chain and how they influence overall function and the pros/cons of the different variables in an exhaust system, which technically starts with air intake. No point in making things on the back end really efficient to move air out, if you are sucking through a straw to begin with.

RE OP query on brand - I would look at both and evaluate quality of materials and shape. One maybe stamped while the other more welded and shaped. That said, I suspect the differences won't be that significant regarding power, so I might well lean toward the GM part, if it is a GM part.
My 07 had a H-Pipe and I know for sure my 08/Z51 had a X-Pipe because when I had headers put on it it was taking off and I wanted to keep it but it would not fit in my vette for the 150 mile back home....And I do know the different between a H and X pipe!
Old 10-18-2016, 03:10 PM
Midnight08
Racer

My 07 had a H-Pipe and I know for sure my 08/Z51 had a X-Pipe because when I had headers put on it it was taking off and I wanted to keep it but it would not fit in my vette for the 150 mile back home....And I do know the different between a H and X pipe!
Apparently, it depends on what options/specs the car was initially built to. Mine didn't have Z51 in the list, but NPP, and other bits. It's actually pretty amazing how customized the cars can be, at the price point.

Just re-read the first post, and it sounds like you currently have an H-pipe - which is why you were asking about switching to an X-pipe. Maybe the factory just used whatever they had on hand in the moment - since just that won't change much either way. Not likely, just typing out loud in an attempt to understand the differences in models of the same year.

Last edited by Midnight08; 10-18-2016 at 03:15 PM. Reason: reread OP
Old 10-18-2016, 05:29 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Apparently, it depends on what options/specs the car was initially built to. Mine didn't have Z51 in the list, but NPP, and other bits. It's actually pretty amazing how customized the cars can be, at the price point.

Just re-read the first post, and it sounds like you currently have an H-pipe - which is why you were asking about switching to an X-pipe. Maybe the factory just used whatever they had on hand in the moment - since just that won't change much either way. Not likely, just typing out loud in an attempt to understand the differences in models of the same year.
I have a X-Pipe that came with the headers. I was there when they put the headers on and the Mid-pipe that they took off was for sure not a H-Pipe. I confused also on what year did GM add the X-Pipe?
Old 10-18-2016, 06:08 PM
Weedo
Drifting

So here is a shot of what's on my car:

And here is one from a 2008 NPP:

Old 10-18-2016, 06:17 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Is the one in the 2nd photo called an X-Pipe? Because that looks the same that came off my 08.BTW: I got the 08 with '0' miles on it.Note: Neither of those are H-pipes.

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 10-18-2016 at 06:21 PM. Reason: add
Old 10-18-2016, 06:23 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Well - I'm an idiot. I started up my 2008 base coupe - (love that sound!!), backed up on the Race Ramps. Grabbed my flashlight, and clearly I have an X-pipe, too. No idea why, for sure, I thought I had an H-pipe, but that was my opinion before looking again just now. Even with the Race Ramps, there still wasn't much room to really get a good look, or take a picture without getting the puck and jack out to raise the front. Silly me - sorry for the confusion I added to the discussion with my my assertion of an H-pipe on a non Z51, but NPP car. Still not sure how I got that in my head.

Last edited by Midnight08; 10-18-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:28 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Is the one in the 2nd photo called an X-Pipe? Because that looks the same that came off my 08.BTW: I got the 08 with '0' miles on it.Note: Neither of those are H-pipes.
Yeah - both X-pipes - I was the one sowing confusion. My bad.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:30 PM
Weedo
Drifting

Both the one on my car and the one I have in the garage look the same to me. Well, a bit different, but both look like x-pipes. Not sure why the one on my car is different than the 08 NPP x-pipe though.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:54 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Both the one on my car and the one I have in the garage look the same to me. Well, a bit different, but both look like x-pipes. Not sure why the one on my car is different than the 08 NPP x-pipe though.
Maybe just from different sources. I'm sure GM orders a pile of these for a few different vehicles over a variety of years. As a matter of business, one always aims to reduce cost of parts where possible, without compromising function/performance.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:18 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

08 LS3 has a X pipe. The 08 Z06 has a H.....go figure.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:25 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by lebvette
That's interesting. I wonder if I saw that someplace and just assumed the base model would have the same - without checking my own car.

Get notified of new replies

To Adding an X-Pipe - tell me about the sound, etc?

Old 10-18-2016, 07:36 PM
Weedo
Drifting

Originally Posted by lebvette
Wow, that is odd... So, I guess I won't be installing the "other" x-pipe! Time to toss it in the For Sale section...
Old 10-18-2016, 07:48 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

That's interesting. I wonder if I saw that someplace and just assumed the base model would have the same - without checking my own car.
My 08 Z had a H. This forum advised me of the X's and H's.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:13 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Well - I'm an idiot. I started up my 2008 base coupe - (love that sound!!), backed up on the Race Ramps. Grabbed my flashlight, and clearly I have an X-pipe, too. No idea why, for sure, I thought I had an H-pipe, but that was my opinion before looking again just now. Even with the Race Ramps, there still wasn't much room to really get a good look, or take a picture without getting the puck and jack out to raise the front. Silly me - sorry for the confusion I added to the discussion with my my assertion of an H-pipe on a non Z51, but NPP car. Still not sure how I got that in my head.
No, Midnight you are OK....The X-Pipe was introduced on all 08 base vettes Z51 option or the npp did not mean you got an X-Pipe.My 08 was made in December 2007.

Quick Reply: Adding an X-Pipe - tell me about the sound, etc?