C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with a Hammerhead Ram Air SS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 06:16 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
GM is correct. A baffle means just as it says. It baffles "Sound'...A shroud is the part that has been used on cars for decades, it covers the fan blade to control the air to the front of your engine to help with cooling. I'm 73 years old and I've had many used cars from the forty's and up and some had hugh shroud's around the fan blade and I'm grateful for that or I would be missing a few fingers'. If you run without the 'Baffle' on a C6 I'm sure you will hear some wind noise at freeway speeds.
Yeah - I'm not a spring chicken either. That said, some of the third party people were using shroud, so I think that stuck with me, as I, too, have been thankful for those finger savers, working on a bunch of different vehicles over the years. And used some bad words a few times when the shroud was in the way for draining radiators, or other tasks working on that area of the vehicle.

Great to learn about a fun car from those with more understanding and knowledge!
Old 10-17-2016, 06:45 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight08
Yeah - I'm not a spring chicken either. That said, some of the third party people were using shroud, so I think that stuck with me, as I, too, have been thankful for those finger savers, working on a bunch of different vehicles over the years. And used some bad words a few times when the shroud was in the way for draining radiators, or other tasks working on that area of the vehicle.

Great to learn about a fun car from those with more understanding and knowledge!
You got that right!.BTW: Did you ever get your shirt tail caught in the fan while bending over while adjusting the carburetor. Been there done that.

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 10-17-2016 at 06:48 PM. Reason: add
Old 10-17-2016, 07:35 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Filter design follows priorities/purposes. If longevity is a key priority, as it is with the stock filter, then that leans one direction. I drive the car so little, though daily when I can, longevity in the air filter isn't a priority for me. The larger issue - the desire for cold air. No CAI option on the market providing actual cold air utilizes the stock filter. I suppose I could reroute my AC system tubing to feed the area for the stock filter, so get much cooler air to run through it - but at the loss of driver/passenger comfort.

Timeslips definitely tell you something about the performance of a system. But the durability of a system, repeatability over time, etc. also come into play since most don't invest in a system to have to keep working on it, fixing it, or yanking it to move to a solution that they can count on, without having to check it regularly, due to poor design.

Your last point is spot on. That said, I've always been about performance that looks good, too. I don't aim for a show beauty under the hood - but I aim to invest in options that don't compromise reliability in normal, or track use. Some of the stuff that boasts 1/4 mile performance doesn't keep doing that over time, since apparently the materials used in the product just don't last very well, as a myriad of posts/threads here underline. And, I'm a road coarse guy - not a straight 1320 feet. I only work on a track that short in a kart, and thats with turns and straights.
I only included the extra info about the filter due to your mis-conception that the design was specifically created for severe conditions. While their main thrust is for heavy equipment that operates in less than ideal conditions, the fact that the design allows longer periods between changes, while fitting in the same physically restrained location as OEM filters, is a significant advantage. It's why GM used it due to space concerns and the difficulty necessitated by the location to do maintenance.

BTW, I've had my Vararam on for nearly 130K miles at this point and I'd guess the construction will outlast me. It's not the prettiest CAI on the market, but most certainly the most effective.

I'm not trying to sell you on anything, but merely offering education in areas where you have interest.
On the age thing: I'm older than either of you. ^^ haha

Last edited by HOXXOH; 10-17-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:50 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I only included the extra info about the filter due to your mis-conception that the design was specifically created for severe conditions. While their main thrust is for heavy equipment that operates in less than ideal conditions, the fact that the design allows longer periods between changes, while fitting in the same physically restrained location as OEM filters, is a significant advantage. It's why GM used it due to space concerns and the difficulty necessitated by the location to do maintenance.

BTW, I've had my Vararam on for nearly 130K miles at this point and I'd guess the construction will outlast me. It's not the prettiest CAI on the market, but most certainly the most effective.
That the stock filter will last a long time doesn't mean it's more effective in less demanding conditions, as your last message suggested. Personally, I don't consider the stock filter/setup all that hard to deal with. Certainly not as easy as most much older cars, with a a spin off nut, pop the lid and replace the donut shaped filter, but it's pretty easy.

Glad you're happy with the one you have. Far too many used ones for sale and far too many posts citing issues with sealing, and problematic materials not getting the job done for me to be comfortable investing in it for my car.

I don't find any of that kind of negative experiences for the Callaway CAI that seems so similar to the Ram Air SS system, except that the later uses a larger filter, which is why it's the one I'm leaning toward. A number of threads I read had people moving to another high ticket option, but I see no real difference in it over the stock solution, especially in relation to getting cooler air. That to me is the main issue that the better options address. That said, we can't be sure that any of these third party options would pass the rigors of GM testing and therefore get their blessing. So, if we choose to change something, best to make that choice with as much info as possible, and be prepared to deal with the consequences should we use our car in a scenario that a third party part wasn't designed to handle, even/especially if the stock solution would have handled it just fine.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:55 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I'm not trying to sell you on anything, but merely offering education in areas where you have interest.
On the age thing: I'm older than either of you. ^^ haha
No problem - I love hearing and learning from people that have invested time and dollars into solutions. I started the thread to learn more and it's given me the opportunity to dig far deeper than I had earlier. That helps me make a more informed choice, and for that I can be grateful.

Great forum with great people who share a love for the great American sports car!
Old 10-17-2016, 08:35 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

That the stock filter will last a long time doesn't mean it's more effective in less demanding conditions, as your last message suggested. Personally, I don't consider the stock filter/setup all that hard to deal with. Certainly not as easy as most much older cars, with a a spin off nut, pop the lid and replace the donut shaped filter, but it's pretty easy.

Glad you're happy with the one you have. Far too many used ones for sale and far too many posts citing issues with sealing, and problematic materials not getting the job done for me to be comfortable investing in it for my car.

I don't find any of that kind of negative experiences for the Callaway CAI that seems so similar to the Ram Air SS system, except that the later uses a larger filter, which is why it's the one I'm leaning toward. A number of threads I read had people moving to another high ticket option, but I see no real difference in it over the stock solution, especially in relation to getting cooler air. That to me is the main issue that the better options address. That said, we can't be sure that any of these third party options would pass the rigors of GM testing and therefore get their blessing. So, if we choose to change something, best to make that choice with as much info as possible, and be prepared to deal with the consequences should we use our car in a scenario that a third party part wasn't designed to handle, even/especially if the stock solution would have handled it just fine.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:37 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

LG has a very well built intake setup, but very expensive.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:29 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I guess effective is the word needing defined. If filtration is your goal, then it does it's job better after it's half-life, than before. If airflow is the objective, then longevity of a half-life is preferential.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:19 PM
damascus1986
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Weedo
I need to read up on the "$2 shroud prop"!
its definetly reduced the intake temps when running on the freeway even a few degrees away from ambient, at a stop they heat back up of course..

just bought the halltech beehive for my intake gonna slap it on and maybe get a tune adjustment in a few weeks
Old 10-17-2016, 11:22 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
LG has a very well built intake setup, but very expensive.
Yes - they make two options for the C6, both with high price tags. Far too little bang for the buck for my wallet.

That said, I have a lot of respect for them and will be investing in one of their long tube header systems. We used to watch them race, many years back and Anthony helped me to solve an oddity with the car I own, which three previous owners apparently had no interest in resolving. It helped that we happened to be in GA this summer and were able to make a trip to Bowling Green and I took many pictures of key cars at the NCM to reach a correct solution.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:41 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

I made over 600 rwhp NA with this Hammerhead system. As I said the intake temps were down to what the outside was and the air filter is pretty big. The snap things were pretty good making taking it on and off pretty easy.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:51 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Yes - they make two options for the C6, both with high price tags. Far too little bang for the buck for my wallet.

That said, I have a lot of respect for them and will be investing in one of their long tube header systems. We used to watch them race, many years back and Anthony helped me to solve an oddity with the car I own, which three previous owners apparently had no interest in resolving. It helped that we happened to be in GA this summer and were able to make a trip to Bowling Green and I took many pictures of key cars at the NCM to reach a correct solution.
I got my K&N Air Charger intake from them years ago and it is still working great after 60000 miles.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:07 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Just beware that with any air flow difference over the MAF sensor in the LS3 surging is more than likely.

I experienced surging that wasn't able to be tuned out. Granted in the end it was slight but nevertheless a deal breaker for me. This was with the Vararam.

There are baffles that some have used with success.

Ya I know this isn't in direct response of the OP's initial thread but the surging issue is worth mentioning as others have experienced this with other changes too concerning the filter and air flow over the MAF sensor.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:18 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Just beware that with any air flow difference over the MAF sensor in the LS3 surging is more than likely.

I experienced surging that wasn't able to be tuned out. Granted in the end it was slight but nevertheless a deal breaker for me. This was with the Vararam.

There are baffles that some have used with success.

Ya I know this isn't in direct response of the OP's initial thread but the surging issue is worth mentioning as others have experienced this with other changes too concerning the filter and air flow over the MAF sensor.
I get a little surging at times, but not that bad that I can't live with it.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:41 AM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Appreciate the addition! Any time we mess with the formula, we risk issues solved by all the testing and tweaking GM does.

From the volume of reading I've done on the subject, it seems that most moving to the more advantageous intake options benefit from a knowledgeable tuner tweaking the AF ratios. Most of the intake options will work without that, but if max benefit is desired, then that often means the time and cost of a tune. As I understand it, the system does have some ability to adapt, which is why some vendors advise people buying their solutions to expect some rough driving for some miles, while the system adapts to the new setup.

Ultimately, any time we mess with air (in or out), fuel, or fire - we are invading a delicate solution that has been refined by the factory. So, if we make changes, we should try to be as informed as possible, so we know what is at risk.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:38 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

A used Halltech seems to be the best all around product when you consider water ingestion, fitment, power, price, radiator cooling, etc... They are common here on the forum.

My tuner told me my Vararam was a pile so he actually removed his Halltech and installed it on my car and my car gained like 6 rwhp just to show me. Back to Vararam and power dropped right back. For me it was the other issues (fitment, water intrusion, and radiator cooling) that really made me switch.
The following users liked this post:
damascus1986 (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 06:05 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
A used Halltech seems to be the best all around product when you consider water ingestion, fitment, power, price, radiator cooling, etc... They are common here on the forum.

My tuner told me my Vararam was a pile so he actually removed his Halltech and installed it on my car and my car gained like 6 rwhp just to show me. Back to Vararam and power dropped right back. For me it was the other issues (fitment, water intrusion, and radiator cooling) that really made me switch.
That's interesting. The main reason I chose to pass on the Halltech options was that it seemed too much like the stock solution, with the addition of even less air movement, due to the top piece covering the whole thing. For me, it wasn't providing access to cool air.

Most of the air intake upgrades seem like that - basically mimicking the stock air bridge and using their own filter, or one from K&N - but still limited to that sealed baffle cavity to draw air from, like the stock solution. I drew the conclusion that the HP gains were therefore largely from an improved filter, since the location for getting the air didn't change, so really not any cooler - how could it be?

Having gone through the content from the Corvette engineer on their thoughts about air intake really guided me, as I weighed the different options. The fact that I don't drive my car in some of the extremes they design for allowed me the freedom to consider all the options. I leaned toward the Ram Air SS option over Callaway for one main reason, since price is very similar. In comparing the installation of both, the shape of the hole and the precision needed to really get it right is way more complex with the Callaway solution. The hole I need for the Ram Air SS is just a rectangle. And I plan on lots of practice cuts, with different tools in that area that I have to cut out, before I make the actual cuts for the mounting frame. So, when I cut out the hole itself, I'll be using the bet tool, pressure, etc. to complete it as professionally as possible. That's my nature - something worth doing, is worth doing well, or not at all.

I really appreciate the feedback so many have taken the time to provide. It has pushed me to reconsider and re-examine many options, and ultimately solidify the one I'm currently leaning toward.

Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
damascus1986 (10-18-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Experience with a Hammerhead Ram Air SS?

Old 10-18-2016, 06:12 PM
damascus1986
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

That's interesting. The main reason I chose to pass on the Halltech options was that it seemed too much like the stock solution, with the addition of even less air movement, due to the top piece covering the whole thing. For me, it wasn't providing access to cool air.

Most of the air intake upgrades seem like that - basically mimicking the stock air bridge and using their own filter, or one from K&N - but still limited to that sealed baffle cavity to draw air from, like the stock solution. I drew the conclusion that the HP gains were therefore largely from an improved filter, since the location for getting the air didn't change, so really not any cooler - how could it be?

Having gone through the content from the Corvette engineer on their thoughts about air intake really guided me, as I weighed the different options. The fact that I don't drive my car in some of the extremes they design for allowed me the freedom to consider all the options. I leaned toward the Ram Air SS option over Callaway for one main reason, since price is very similar. In comparing the installation of both, the shape of the hole and the precision needed to really get it right is way more complex with the Callaway solution. The hole I need for the Ram Air SS is just a rectangle. And I plan on lots of practice cuts, with different tools in that area that I have to cut out, before I make the actual cuts for the mounting frame. So, when I cut out the hole itself, I'll be using the bet tool, pressure, etc. to complete it as professionally as possible. That's my nature - something worth doing, is worth doing well, or not at all.

I really appreciate the feedback so many have taken the time to provide. It has pushed me to reconsider and re-examine many options, and ultimately solidify the one I'm currently leaning toward.

Cheers!

i went with halltech beacuse of the water ingestion issue that was formentioned or it would have been vararam. I liked where halltech positions the maf sensor as well beneath the beehive. i belive theres been solid gains proven with this intake. im curious about the ram ss though
Old 10-18-2016, 06:56 PM
Midnight08
Racer

FWIW, this thread includes a video that was one of the things that got me looking at the Ram Air SS solution:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-results.html
Old 10-18-2016, 09:27 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

FWIW, this thread includes a video that was one of the things that got me looking at the Ram Air SS solution:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-results.html
I seem that video years ago. I wonder why they are using the stock coupler, that is what I don't like about it.

Quick Reply: Experience with a Hammerhead Ram Air SS?