C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with a Hammerhead Ram Air SS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 10:49 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I seem that video years ago. I wonder why they are using the stock coupler, that is what I don't like about it.
"stock coupler"? Are you talking about the rubber sleeve to the throttle body? Just trying to understand.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:08 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight08
"stock coupler"? Are you talking about the rubber sleeve to the throttle body? Just trying to understand.
Yes,The accordion type that connects from the air tube to the TB.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:16 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Yes,The accordion type that connects from the air tube to the TB.
Yeah - that's worth looking at. I should do some investigation, as tracking down high quality silicone large diameter hose and really good clamps is something I did on a SAAB 9000 turbo I had some years back.

I would think that would smooth things out, allowing smoother air flow. I should query the Ram Air SS people and see if they have considered this. The parts are pretty reasonable to get.

All that said, the silicone tubing can be more challenging to wrangle with when you have a tight fit scenario, as that stuff has no flex to it, while the stock stuff has a lot of flex. Silicone hose there would look a lot cleaner, too. More homework to do.

Just took a quick look under the hood and some rough measurements. There is a sensor that is fitted into that, and it's not a straight shot at all, I don't recall seeing silicone hose with really radical dimension differences one side to the other. The intake options I have seen using silicone for that connection kept it skinny, the diameter of the TB, where as the opening on the stock air bridge is easily between five and six inches in diameter, though oval shaped, not round - I don't recall the really good clamps working as ovals, and using cheap band clamps isn't that great for a good seal with silicone. That said, this is far less demanding than turbo application.

Did some quick searches and I'm not seeing silicone reducing sleeves, nor rubber reducers that are near big enough - and not many size options at these large diameters. That plus whatever the sensor/connection is going into that coupler maybe why many stick with using that stock coupler.

Last edited by Midnight08; 10-18-2016 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:04 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

FWIW, this thread includes a video that was one of the things that got me looking at the Ram Air SS solution:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-results.html
This is the original thread when it was first introduced a little over 3 years ago. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oductions.html
The last post a couple weeks ago, is identical to the first one. I don't believe there was any further documentation to support the dyno sheets.

In regards to the video, there are reasons for the dyno results which aren't readily apparent to the casual observer. Although, the product itself appears to be well constructed and looks good under the hood, the misleading advertising leaves a bad taste for those knowledgeable enough to understand what is presented.
Here's a bit I posted in response to the video. You can draw your own conclusions.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1584465863

One more piece of information about filters in general, is how effective they are in removing dirt. Of the current crop of filter styles, the oiled pleated mesh is at the bottom of the list, while nano-fiber paper is at the top.
Here's a visual that offers stark evidence. If you can see a path for direct light, so can the dirt.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:27 AM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
This is the original thread when it was first introduced a little over 3 years ago. . . .
Thanks for the post. I take marketing stuff with a grain of salt - from any of the vendors.

I got looking at the Ram Air SS from articles/installs that had nothing to gain one way or the other and their numbers were no where near what that video suggests. That said, the video does provide an overview of fit and finish and basic install. The rest of it is up to a person to be smart enough to not trust any one source. As a scientist at heart (and I have degrees in chemistry and graphic design), I research from as many varied sources as I can to pick up on trends. Far too much forum/review verbiage reflects the biases/preferences, and sometimes blatant fan-boy ignorance of the variables at work. I consider all of that when investigating stuff like this.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:30 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Yeah - that's worth looking at. I should do some investigation, as tracking down high quality silicone large diameter hose and really good clamps is something I did on a SAAB 9000 turbo I had some years back.

I would think that would smooth things out, allowing smoother air flow. I should query the Ram Air SS people and see if they have considered this. The parts are pretty reasonable to get.

All that said, the silicone tubing can be more challenging to wrangle with when you have a tight fit scenario, as that stuff has no flex to it, while the stock stuff has a lot of flex. Silicone hose there would look a lot cleaner, too. More homework to do.

Just took a quick look under the hood and some rough measurements. There is a sensor that is fitted into that, and it's not a straight shot at all, I don't recall seeing silicone hose with really radical dimension differences one side to the other. The intake options I have seen using silicone for that connection kept it skinny, the diameter of the TB, where as the opening on the stock air bridge is easily between five and six inches in diameter, though oval shaped, not round - I don't recall the really good clamps working as ovals, and using cheap band clamps isn't that great for a good seal with silicone. That said, this is far less demanding than turbo application.

Did some quick searches and I'm not seeing silicone reducing sleeves, nor rubber reducers that are near big enough - and not many size options at these large diameters. That plus whatever the sensor/connection is going into that coupler maybe why many stick with using that stock coupler.
Yep.With that intake looks like you are going to have to use the stock thing in which should work fine.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:40 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

This is the original thread when it was first introduced a little over 3 years ago. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oductions.html
The last post a couple weeks ago, is identical to the first one. I don't believe there was any further documentation to support the dyno sheets.

In regards to the video, there are reasons for the dyno results which aren't readily apparent to the casual observer. Although, the product itself appears to be well constructed and looks good under the hood, the misleading advertising leaves a bad taste for those knowledgeable enough to understand what is presented.
Here's a bit I posted in response to the video. You can draw your own conclusions.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1584465863

One more piece of information about filters in general, is how effective they are in removing dirt. Of the current crop of filter styles, the oiled pleated mesh is at the bottom of the list, while nano-fiber paper is at the top.
Here's a visual that offers stark evidence. If you can see a path for direct light, so can the dirt.

Maybe a little dirt will do harm 200000 miles down the road. I use a K&N and so does a lot of the off road racing circuit's, like Baja and the Military at one time used K&N filters. I take off my MAF about every 4 months just for the hell of it and it is always clean as my teeth.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:16 AM
Midnight08
Racer

This wasn't your best move, at least not to a pro photog. I have three times invested in cameras, lenses and gear, than in my black beauty 'vette.

Short version regarding the picture - the sun is about the greatest light source you can deal with. Light bends and passes through spaces far smaller than the the dust we are trying to keep out of our engines. Seeing light in a shot like this says little about the filters ability to trap the dust, etc. it was designed to trap. It's just a demonstration of the character of light from a strong source, along with a snake oil interpretation. No disrespect intended, but best to stick with what we know to be true, which is to say a filter designed to keep an engine protected from dust and small particles in the air is not designed to trap/stop light. Shot the right way, with the right papers (that one would never use to filter air), I could produce a similar image. It comes from understanding light and how to capture it.

Cheers!
Old 10-19-2016, 02:29 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

This wasn't your best move, at least not to a pro photog. I have three times invested in cameras, lenses and gear, than in my black beauty 'vette.

Short version regarding the picture - the sun is about the greatest light source you can deal with. Light bends and passes through spaces far smaller than the the dust we are trying to keep out of our engines. Seeing light in a shot like this says little about the filters ability to trap the dust, etc. it was designed to trap. It's just a demonstration of the character of light from a strong source, along with a snake oil interpretation. No disrespect intended, but best to stick with what we know to be true, which is to say a filter designed to keep an engine protected from dust and small particles in the air is not designed to trap/stop light. Shot the right way, with the right papers (that one would never use to filter air), I could produce a similar image. It comes from understanding light and how to capture it.

Cheers!
I'm not even a crappy amateur picture taker, but here's a comparison to a better than average paper filter of the same dimensions. Taken the same direction a couple minutes later.

Here's another where the dirt captured by the paper filter for less than 5K miles was dropped onto the mesh filter and this is what got through. Pretty clear evidence that mesh filters suck for filtration. Fortunately, the Vararam filter size is nearly identical to an easily available paper filter that also seals better. You might think about researching paper filters that fit the Ram Air housing.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 10-19-2016 at 02:30 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:47 AM
Midnight08
Racer

I'm not even a crappy amateur picture taker, but here's a comparison to a better than average paper filter of the same dimensions. . . .
I get the general point, I just think we are going to excessive means to make a point. And, mixing light filtration with particle filtration is, IMHO practically irrelevent.

No question that different media and approaches to media in a filter system will filter different things to varying degrees. It's physics and chemistry. It's not in the interests of customers long term for any maker of daily-driver automotive air filters, or oil filters, etc. to produce a product that puts the vehicle at risk. That said, many of us have learned over time that some brands tend to use better materials, or are built with higher quality standards (fewer lemons see the skin of consumers hands), etc. so we develop preferences. Fair enough.

So, it's my opinion that using a filter from any of the main sources and regular maintenance, relative to the driving conditions is going to be just fine for your vehicle. One can choose the "best" filter for their purposes/priorities and not properly install/replace/maintain it and that will be the point of compromise, not the filter itself.

Bottom line - I'm thankful we live in a world with many options. It is sad that sometimes people push the real truth edges to promote a product - but that lack of character is on people. The benefit of a forum like this is we can share our experiences and what we think we have learned from them, and occasionally prevent a headache or two, or some scraped knuckles and the dark words that can accompany that loss of skin.

One of the things that is sometimes lost on people is the range of conditions a vehicle produced for the general public has to be designed to handle. Many people only ever live/visit in one small area of their country of origin, so dynamics that may be common to other areas, they may have no clue about, nor experience with. For example, one of the tests GM does is to run the car through a trough of water that runs from two to twelve inches deep, at various speeds.* Depending on where you live, such a test may seem way over the top, and I'm pretty sure a number of the after market CAI solutions, including the one I'm interested in, wouldn't pass that test. But, having travelled as much as I have, I know there are many states that deal with flash flood conditions as a part of their yearly cycle of weather. I've had to get out of a car, and wade to the center of the water going across the road, to evaluate the depth, to make sure my rental car would make it through. Corvettes are sold in all these states, so they have to design for such conditions. Way to go, GM, looking out for the customer. That said, if we want to make changes to that setup, we should aim to do so as informed as possible - but practically informed. Sometimes people get into discussions at such an esoteric level that they have gone way beyond practical application.

I love to learn, but I aim to keep things reasonably practical.

*I learned about this test, and so much more, from a sticky thread, from a Corvette engineer, in another part of the forum, found here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ir-intake.html
Old 10-19-2016, 05:03 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

*I learned about this test, and so much more, from a sticky thread, from a Corvette engineer, in another part of the forum, found here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ir-intake.html
I'm glad you learned something there. More people should read that, since many like you will have a chance to see GM's side of the story and how much of what they do must meet gov't requirements.

I've spent 50+ years in engineering and dealing with topics like airflow for several industries including aerospace, electronics, and energy. My automotive interests preceded that by a decade, which additionally provided a broad spectrum of experience to draw from vs the narrow line that Tadge must toe as a GM spokesman.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:43 PM
domd
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 2008 (LS3) base that I'm considering replacing the stock air intake with the Ram Air SS cold air intake system. If you have done so, what did you learn?

While the stock air intake seems lame, I think the main weakness is the filter - and on a base coupe - no real cold air access. Most of the intake options seem to replace the lame filter, but stick with a similar air bridge. So, I'm hard pressed to pay $$ for a non-GM air bridge that basically mimics the original. I'm considering the Ram Air SS solution, as it deals with the lame filter issue AND provides a big hole to access cool air coming from the front of the car - as what goes to cool the radiator.

If you have installed one of these, I would love to hear from you - good or bad.

TIA.
i too have been wanting to install one of these after i watched their youtube video but would like to talk to someone else who has installed it. From video after install and tune the car gained over 60 horsepower on the dyno?????? WOW ,,,, if that's true!!!
Old 05-03-2020, 01:46 PM
domd
Heel & Toe

i too have been wanting to install one of these, after watching video on youtube the Z06 gained over 60 hp after install and tune!!! WOW, if that's true!!!
Old 05-03-2020, 03:58 PM
Midnight08
Racer

I started this thread nearly four years ago.

In the end I went with the Hammerhead Ram Air SS, and it's worked fine for me since then. I did make some other changes, including the addition of long tube headers and tuning for octane 93 gas. Note the best I can get is 91 locally, but use an octane booster, getting me to 94 with each tank of gas, so it's worked well for me. When we dynoed the car, the results blew everyone away, based on the "modest" changes made - and we did have a baseline dyno from the same shop before the changes were made. To be VERY clear - what air filter system was installed would have NO impact on dyno results.

The one real world weakness for this air intake is greater water intake potential. I only drive the car on dry days, so is not a concern for me. And, really it's only an issue if one is going through enough water to cause spashing up into the engine area.

I never had any of the surging issues some have sited for some systems, nor does this system leak - in time, as other systems have.

Bottom line - this system has served my priorities. The other big endorsement, in my mind, was the fact that Callaway used the exact same approach - just charged more for it. They have a lot more reputation on the line and more to loose than I do, if this approach risks problems.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:06 PM
domd
Heel & Toe

Thank you for the great feedback!!
Old 05-04-2020, 01:39 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by domd

i too have been wanting to install one of these, after watching video on youtube the Z06 gained over 60 hp after install and tune!!! WOW, if that's true!!!
There is not an aftermarket air intake / filter that has ever been made that will get you an extra 60 HP.

As a matter of fact, in most cases, they will get you a big ZERO HP gain .... Fact !
Old 05-04-2020, 01:57 PM
Midnight08
Racer

I stated as much, but want to underline this. The GM supplied air intake solution is not restrictive, so thinking an aftermarket air intake will yield different results on a dyno is ridiculous.

Where it can come into practical benefit is on the road and the difference in air temp one is getting into the engine. This was my primary interest - and clearly that of Callaway also. Cooler air means more oxygen for the same volume of air, which means with accurate measures, you can pump a bit more fuel in, which leads to a bit more power. The tuning done on my car was based on a few driving runs and tweaking based on what numbers we were getting. In the end we got a lot more hp and torque - mostly due to the long tube headers, and access to that power quicker and with a flatter torque curve - so more power longer - and it sounds great - with the original stock mufflers - which were the upgrade with baffles. That is normally straight through, but can activate the baffles to quiet things down on longer trips, or late at night, so I don't needlessly disturb the neighborhood.

Get notified of new replies

To Experience with a Hammerhead Ram Air SS?

Old 05-04-2020, 02:43 PM
Jlang1
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Callaway CAI

I wanted to by the Ram Air SS system for my 2008 C6M, just tried to buy it a week ago but it is no longer available.... so I bought the Callaway CAI system which is very similar. I plan on installation soon and getting a dyno tune form Norris Motorsports which is 15 minutes from home.... can't wait! I spoke with a tech over there and he said with a tune, the CAI, and my Corsa Sport exhaust I should see a total of 40 RWHP gain easily over stock. Let's hope so!!! I'll post before and after dyno results when I get them...
- Before being WITH Corsa Sport exhaust & CAI installed.
- After being WITH a tune.

Unfortunately I won't have stock dyno numbers since I installed the exhaust already and will install the CAI before the dyno tune.... however if we use the factory number (430 HP, minus 15% loss with manual trans, equals about 365 RWHP) we can estimate what will be gained from the exhaust and CAI only.

So... whatever the before dyno run indicates should be a rough estimate of the increase with the exhaust and CAI, and the after dyno run will show the actual gains from a good street tune.

Should be done sometime in June....

Last edited by Jlang1; 05-04-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:09 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Yeah that baseline HP number at the wheels seems about what we saw, as I recall. I made a number of changes that most say will have little or no impact, but they are changes race teams make. And, in the end, I think the results speak for themselves (540hp, 485 torque on base C6 with Z51). That said, I think the greatest two factors with my car were the long tube headers (from a team that races Corvettes for three decades) and the tuning for 93 octane fuel. The headers also came with hi-flow cats, so improving flow from engine to exhaust. That said, I don't think the stock air intake would have been restrictive, in terms of air flow. My primary interest was cooler air, not more air.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:34 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Jlang1

can't wait! I spoke with a tech over there and he said with a tune, the CAI, and my Corsa Sport exhaust I should see a total of 40 RWHP gain easily over stock. Let's hope so!!! I'll post before and after dyno results when I get them...
I wish you the best ... but it ain't going to happen

No extra power from an aftermarket axle-back set of mufflers and little to no gain with an aftermarket air intake / filter.

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 05-04-2020 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Experience with a Hammerhead Ram Air SS?