C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with a Hammerhead Ram Air SS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 01:32 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Experience with a Hammerhead Ram Air SS?

I've got a 2008 (LS3) base that I'm considering replacing the stock air intake with the Ram Air SS cold air intake system. If you have done so, what did you learn?

While the stock air intake seems lame, I think the main weakness is the filter - and on a base coupe - no real cold air access. Most of the intake options seem to replace the lame filter, but stick with a similar air bridge. So, I'm hard pressed to pay $$ for a non-GM air bridge that basically mimics the original. I'm considering the Ram Air SS solution, as it deals with the lame filter issue AND provides a big hole to access cool air coming from the front of the car - as what goes to cool the radiator.

If you have installed one of these, I would love to hear from you - good or bad.

TIA.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:25 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Midnight08
I've got a 2008 (LS3) base that I'm considering replacing the stock air intake with the Ram Air SS cold air intake system. If you have done so, what did you learn?

While the stock air intake seems lame, I think the main weakness is the filter - and on a base coupe - no real cold air access. Most of the intake options seem to replace the lame filter, but stick with a similar air bridge. So, I'm hard pressed to pay $$ for a non-GM air bridge that basically mimics the original. I'm considering the Ram Air SS solution, as it deals with the lame filter issue AND provides a big hole to access cool air coming from the front of the car - as what goes to cool the radiator.

If you have installed one of these, I would love to hear from you - good or bad.

TIA.
Actually that "lame" stock air filter is one of the best in the industry. The $2 shroud prop will get you about 2/3 the cold air as most any CAI.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:04 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Same filter the C6 427 Z06 runs. It breaths just fine.

Now cooler air is another issue, it is not a filter issue. And granted cooler air is a good thing for making power.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:14 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Well, to be sure I'm not an expert on air filter design. That said, I've never seen a filter like the stock air filter on any of the many different levels of club and professional race cars I've seen. But, if it is a good filter, for the sake of my ignorance, I'll allow for that.

Many parts fit in the realm of "good enough" and clearly that is the case for the stock air filter. It does what it is designed to do - filter air and apparently with less restriction than I would think given it's design. So be it.

Lack of cold air for the stock design is a completely separate issue. I've wandered through the dozen or so more common intake options and most of them do nothing to address this weakness. Of those that do, for this inquiring mind (scientist at heart and in education), the Ram Air SS is the design that to me seems to have the best approach, reducing the chance of some of the problems I have read from other designs aiming to actually bring in cooler air.

All that said - the thread was intended as a question for those having tried the Hammerhead Ram Air SS system, to get some real world, less biased, feedback. The thread wasn't intended to become a general discussion of CAI in general, and rehash stuff that's been repeated in numerous other threads here. Many seem to have preferences for different systems, but seem mostly based on what they chose - and once they chose, the quest was done. I can respect that, but don't think or function that way. Every option has pros and cons and I've spent many hours trying to weed through all manner of stuff on this. Here, I was just trying to seek some feedback from actual users of this system. It seems much less known and less talked about, but that doesn't mean it's less (or more) effective. It may just come down to poorer marketing. Bottom line - I just started the thread to see if any that are active in this forum have tried this system, and if so, with what results.

Last edited by Midnight08; 10-16-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:57 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

I have one (LS7) it is a good filter set up. The filter is quite large at like 17 x 8 inches. Seems to work well with the cold air set up the intake temps are only a few degrees above out door ones once car is moving like 10 mph. You do need to cut the shroud and bolt the adapter thing on it but they give you instructions on this part of the install.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:02 AM
Weedo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Actually that "lame" stock air filter is one of the best in the industry. The $2 shroud prop will get you about 2/3 the cold air as most any CAI.
I need to read up on the "$2 shroud prop"!
Old 10-17-2016, 10:03 AM
Midnight08
Racer

double06 - thanks for the reply and comments. I haven't tried to do the math, but the surface area for this air filter seemed much greater, thus less restrictive compared to most options I have seen - which was another plus. Interesting to hear about the air temps, as that was the real draw for this system to me.

At first I was a little concerned about having to cut the shroud, but they are easily available, should I need a stock uncut one, later on.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:27 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

double06 - thanks for the reply and comments. I haven't tried to do the math, but the surface area for this air filter seemed much greater, thus less restrictive compared to most options I have seen - which was another plus. Interesting to hear about the air temps, as that was the real draw for this system to me.

At first I was a little concerned about having to cut the shroud, but they are easily available, should I need a stock uncut one, later on.
Midnight08: Where do you get that intake at? I heard about it years ago.BTW: The part that you have to cut is called the Baffle'..It's only around $48.00..Thanks
Old 10-17-2016, 01:34 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

I have the K&N Air Charger on my 08 and I popped the baffle about 3" but it caused surging super bad, plus my engine bay gets very dirty. I closed it up after a week. I would think the surging would be caused because I also have a cam,headers and a Dyno custom tune.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:45 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Midnight08: Where do you get that intake at? I heard about it years ago.BTW: The part that you have to cut is called the Baffle'..It's only around $48.00..Thanks
You can order them from the company that makes them. Also, if you do a Google search for "Corvette Ram Air SS" You'll find online options from Amazon to Southern Car Parts. In my research, I found that adding a cheap item to kick the total over $500, with Southern Car Parts, allowed one to use their $50 off coupon, with free shipping. It was the least expensive way I found to get this system.

Thanks for correcting my wrong term. Baffle is the term GM uses. None of three online sources I've uncovered, showed its price that low - I'd love to know about that source - might have other parts I'm interested in, at a better price, too, as long as shipping is free to reasonable. Sometimes cheaper product prices come with expensive shipping.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:06 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Well, to be sure I'm not an expert on air filter design. That said, I've never seen a filter like the stock air filter on any of the many different levels of club and professional race cars I've seen. But, if it is a good filter, for the sake of my ignorance, I'll allow for that.

Many parts fit in the realm of "good enough" and clearly that is the case for the stock air filter. It does what it is designed to do - filter air and apparently with less restriction than I would think given it's design. So be it.

Lack of cold air for the stock design is a completely separate issue. I've wandered through the dozen or so more common intake options and most of them do nothing to address this weakness. Of those that do, for this inquiring mind (scientist at heart and in education), the Ram Air SS is the design that to me seems to have the best approach, reducing the chance of some of the problems I have read from other designs aiming to actually bring in cooler air.

All that said - the thread was intended as a question for those having tried the Hammerhead Ram Air SS system, to get some real world, less biased, feedback. The thread wasn't intended to become a general discussion of CAI in general, and rehash stuff that's been repeated in numerous other threads here. Many seem to have preferences for different systems, but seem mostly based on what they chose - and once they chose, the quest was done. I can respect that, but don't think or function that way. Every option has pros and cons and I've spent many hours trying to weed through all manner of stuff on this. Here, I was just trying to seek some feedback from actual users of this system. It seems much less known and less talked about, but that doesn't mean it's less (or more) effective. It may just come down to poorer marketing. Bottom line - I just started the thread to see if any that are active in this forum have tried this system, and if so, with what results.
Filter info for you. It's far better than "good enough".
http://www.donaldsonoemfiltration.co...dfs/059806.pdf

The reason you won't get much feedback on the CAI you are researching, is that the people who are looking for something fall into two groups. One group wants whatever provides the most power and the other group wants something for the aesthetic value. That unit doesn't fit well for either group, so sales are low.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:29 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Filter info for you. It's far better than "good enough".
http://www.donaldsonoemfiltration.co...dfs/059806.pdf

The reason you won't get much feedback on the CAI you are researching, is that the people who are looking for something fall into two groups. One group wants whatever provides the most power and the other group wants something for the aesthetic value. That unit doesn't fit well for either group, so sales are low.
Thanks for the PDF. It was interesting reading, though it would seem their primary focus, based on the applications they chose to show on their Proven History page are large industrial and commercial vehicles. I think one of the sixteen application images may have reflected a street car. Clearly they are designing for dusty and/or crazy whether conditions, as the Corvette design team considers, too. I don't run my car in those kind of conditions, so my priorities may be a different.

The reading that I found the most useful/interesting/balanced was the sticky thread in the Ask Tadge on Cold Air Intake (Tadge Juechter being a/the Corvette Chief Engineer). He provided great info on what goes into the stock solutions, recognizing that EVERY solution has pros/cons relative to the variables being considered.

Your comments about the Ram Air SS not fitting into aesthetics/most power may be, but that's not what I found. I definitely lean toward the power camp, but those I found claiming more also included reviews from people that were excited about the install, until they weren't - discovering issues that were problematic. The explanations from Tadge were things I took into consideration as I read reviews on various CAI options.

All this said - nothing is set in concrete for me, I'm still reading and weighing options, but do have a strong leaning at this point.

Last edited by Midnight08; 10-17-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:02 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

You can order them from the company that makes them. Also, if you do a Google search for "Corvette Ram Air SS" You'll find online options from Amazon to Southern Car Parts. In my research, I found that adding a cheap item to kick the total over $500, with Southern Car Parts, allowed one to use their $50 off coupon, with free shipping. It was the least expensive way I found to get this system.

Thanks for correcting my wrong term. Baffle is the term GM uses. None of three online sources I've uncovered, showed its price that low - I'd love to know about that source - might have other parts I'm interested in, at a better price, too, as long as shipping is free to reasonable. Sometimes cheaper product prices come with expensive shipping.
GM Parts Direct has them now for $53.95.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:06 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

GM Parts Direct has them now for $53.95.
I did not check Amazon, because I do not buy from them.....Good Luck
Old 10-17-2016, 04:14 PM
Midnight08
Racer

I did not check Amazon, because I do not buy from them.....Good Luck
I didn't check Amazon for the baffle, but the first source I use for GM parts, GM Parts House, is currently selling it for $50.21.

FYI, while GM uses the term baffle, I found a number of the third party companies use the term shroud for the same part - likely why I was terming it that way since I've been reading more third-party content than GM based content.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:29 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

True, but a large pita to remove and replace.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:47 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by John Harry
True, but a large pita to remove and replace.
From the videos I've seen of this install, it's not too bad. That said - people that have done an install a few times, have the learning scars to make it look easier than it will be the first time.

IMHO, all the best CAI options require cutting the baffle, else you don't really get access to cold air. I read very mixed experiences with one of the "best" CAI options, while the one this thread is about didn't have that, and it mirrors the approach one of the top named tuners took in their CAI system. Feels like a winning solution for my priorities and use.

Get notified of new replies

To Experience with a Hammerhead Ram Air SS?

Old 10-17-2016, 05:16 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Thanks for the PDF. It was interesting reading, though it would seem their primary focus, based on the applications they chose to show on their Proven History page are large industrial and commercial vehicles. I think one of the sixteen application images may have reflected a street car. Clearly they are designing for dusty and/or crazy whether conditions, as the Corvette design team considers, too. I don't run my car in those kind of conditions, so my priorities may be a different.

The reading that I found the most useful/interesting/balanced was the sticky thread in the Ask Tadge on Cold Air Intake (Tadge Juechter being a/the Corvette Chief Engineer). He provided great info on what goes into the stock solutions, recognizing that EVERY solution has pros/cons relative to the variables being considered.

Your comments about the Ram Air SS not fitting into aesthetics/most power may be, but that's not what I found. I definitely lean toward the power camp, but those I found claiming more also included reviews from people that were excited about the install, until they weren't - discovering issues that were problematic. The explanations from Tadge were things I took into consideration as I read reviews on various CAI options.

All this said - nothing is set in concrete for me, I'm still reading and weighing options, but do have a strong leaning at this point.
Regarding the filter: The technology to create high filtration in layered depth, not only means it doesn't require a large surface area, but also extends the longevity of it's half-life. Clearly, a filter that can handle severe conditions, also works even better when the conditions aren't so severe.

Regarding the CAI: If your criteria for power is dyno results, then most any will fit that category. If you want meaningful results that directly relate to actually using the car, then timeslips are the only things worth investigating.

How you intend to use your car should lead you to opinions from like minded people with similar cars. Racers opinions have little value to people who show cars and vice versa.
The following users liked this post:
Red Ryder (04-06-2022)
Old 10-17-2016, 05:38 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Regarding the filter: The technology to create high filtration in layered depth, not only means it doesn't require a large surface area, but also extends the longevity of it's half-life. Clearly, a filter that can handle severe conditions, also works even better when the conditions aren't so severe.

Regarding the CAI: If your criteria for power is dyno results, then most any will fit that category. If you want meaningful results that directly relate to actually using the car, then timeslips are the only things worth investigating.

How you intend to use your car should lead you to opinions from like minded people with similar cars. Racers opinions have little value to people who show cars and vice versa.

Filter design follows priorities/purposes. If longevity is a key priority, as it is with the stock filter, then that leans one direction. I drive the car so little, though daily when I can, longevity in the air filter isn't a priority for me. The larger issue - the desire for cold air. No CAI option on the market providing actual cold air utilizes the stock filter. I suppose I could reroute my AC system tubing to feed the area for the stock filter, so get much cooler air to run through it - but at the loss of driver/passenger comfort.

Timeslips definitely tell you something about the performance of a system. But the durability of a system, repeatability over time, etc. also come into play since most don't invest in a system to have to keep working on it, fixing it, or yanking it to move to a solution that they can count on, without having to check it regularly, due to poor design.

Your last point is spot on. That said, I've always been about performance that looks good, too. I don't aim for a show beauty under the hood - but I aim to invest in options that don't compromise reliability in normal, or track use. Some of the stuff that boasts 1/4 mile performance doesn't keep doing that over time, since apparently the materials used in the product just don't last very well, as a myriad of posts/threads here underline. And, I'm a road coarse guy - not a straight 1320 feet. I only work on a track that short in a kart, and thats with turns and straights.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:02 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

I didn't check Amazon for the baffle, but the first source I use for GM parts, GM Parts House, is currently selling it for $50.21.

FYI, while GM uses the term baffle, I found a number of the third party companies use the term shroud for the same part - likely why I was terming it that way since I've been reading more third-party content than GM based content.
GM is correct. A baffle means just as it says. It baffles "Sound'...A shroud is the part that has been used on cars for decades, it covers the fan blade to control the air to the front of your engine to help with cooling. I'm 73 years old and I've had many used cars from the forty's and up and some had hugh shroud's around the fan blade and I'm grateful for that or I would be missing a few fingers'. If you run without the 'Baffle' on a C6 I'm sure you will hear some wind noise at freeway speeds.

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 10-17-2016 at 06:03 PM. Reason: add

Quick Reply: Experience with a Hammerhead Ram Air SS?