C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats it take to spin 7.5k?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 06:33 PM
stillspinnin
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Whats it take to spin 7.5k?

So I m not new to the ls game, I came from the 4th gen world. I ve done h/c before but never really liked how my car preformed and went turbo. Now that I m an adult with a real car, thought I would try it again before I go fi. I know ls1s don't like to go past 6500 rpms on stock internals but I don't know the limits of an ls3. Look to hear from you high reving cammed ls3 guys. Obviously springs, push rods and rocker arms a must
Old 10-21-2016, 12:22 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by stillspinnin
So I m not new to the ls game, I came from the 4th gen world. I ve done h/c before but never really liked how my car preformed and went turbo. Now that I m an adult with a real car, thought I would try it again before I go fi. I know ls1s don't like to go past 6500 rpms on stock internals but I don't know the limits of an ls3. Look to hear from you high reving cammed ls3 guys. Obviously springs, push rods and rocker arms a must
none of the above will make it live at 7,500.you will hurt it.try a Mazda rotary.you wont have an issue with that

Last edited by irok; 10-21-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:06 PM
0Billy@MTI
Former Vendor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

You aren't going to get there with an LS3 in 2 aspects, reliability and cost.

Stock heads won't flow up there
Stock lifters won't survive either
While a hyd cam can live up at that RPM, it won't last long which means you will need to go to solid roller.

You will need an aftermarket shaft rocker system as well as a lot of Ti items. And then when you go FI you will need to change it all again because all of that stuff won't handle the added pressure from FI.

And their is a ton more to discuss when turning that much RPM.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:35 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by irok
none of the above will make it live at 7,500.you will hurt it.try a Mazda rotary.you wont have an issue with that
I shift my LS7 all day long at the drag strip at or around 7500RPM without issue, and used to shift my LS2 at 7200RPM.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:26 PM
Steve Haefner
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

So... this is really a question of what kinda power and torque your camshaft, heads, and valve-train can pump out at 7500+ rpm. The stock LS3 corvette cam starts to fall over around 6000 rpm and even most aftermarket street/strip cams fall off around 6700. What is the application you need 7500 rpm shift points for?
Old 10-21-2016, 04:34 PM
stillspinnin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Steve Haefner
So... this is really a question of what kinda power and torque your camshaft, heads, and valve-train can pump out at 7500+ rpm. The stock LS3 corvette cam starts to fall over around 6000 rpm and even most aftermarket street/strip cams fall off around 6700. What is the application you need 7500 rpm shift points for?

I don't need it at 7500rpm, was just throwing out number. I m thinking more like running to 7K with a limit at 7200.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:38 PM
stillspinnin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lance@MTI
You aren't going to get there with an LS3 in 2 aspects, reliability and cost.

Stock heads won't flow up there
Stock lifters won't survive either
While a hyd cam can live up at that RPM, it won't last long which means you will need to go to solid roller.

You will need an aftermarket shaft rocker system as well as a lot of Ti items. And then when you go FI you will need to change it all again because all of that stuff won't handle the added pressure from FI.

And their is a ton more to discuss when turning that much RPM.
I understand how cams and head flow work with rpm, not what I was asking. I wanted to know if stock internals can take high revs plain and simple. Like rod bolts for instance, stock ls1s don't do well spinning above 6500
Old 10-21-2016, 11:19 PM
493lszosix
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

I don't need it at 7500rpm, was just throwing out number. I m thinking more like running to 7K with a limit at 7200.
I have an ls6 not an ls3 but I would think if the internals were as good or better than the ls6 7000 shouldn't be a problem

stock bottom end and still stock lifters and I shift at 7200 - 7300 limiter is set at 74 and have bounced off it a few times car had 16 thousand miles on it when I did cam and heads and now has 35 so it's held up good but realize it could go at any time the way I run it, I do have titanium retainers and hollow stem valves to lighten valve train and running stock rockers with trunion upgrade so its definitely doable
Old 10-22-2016, 01:05 AM
stillspinnin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 493lszosix
I have an ls6 not an ls3 but I would think if the internals were as good or better than the ls6 7000 shouldn't be a problem

stock bottom end and still stock lifters and I shift at 7200 - 7300 limiter is set at 74 and have bounced off it a few times car had 16 thousand miles on it when I did cam and heads and now has 35 so it's held up good but realize it could go at any time the way I run it, I do have titanium retainers and hollow stem valves to lighten valve train and running stock rockers with trunion upgrade so its definitely doable
wow that's impressive for an ls6. Are you running rodbolts? I would like to spin to 7000. I figured I would have to upgrade the valve train. I wasn't sure if the trunnion upgrade was adequate or if new rockers were needed
Old 10-22-2016, 01:49 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

An ls3 with small intake port and big flow like Trick flow 255 cc heads and a low lash solid roller will do 7.3 no question and make a lot of power can be shifted at 7.5 at the track for best times.

Above heads could be shaved enough to make 14 to 1 with stock pistons on e85 drive it on the street all day with appropriate fluids cooling, engine oil and coolant will have additional cooling needs but hey! no inter cooler or additional weight from boosters tubing clamps complexity.

Then turn around and take 230 lbs off the car for equalizer haha.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:51 AM
493lszosix
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

wow that's impressive for an ls6. Are you running rodbolts? I would like to spin to 7000. I figured I would have to upgrade the valve train. I wasn't sure if the trunnion upgrade was adequate or if new rockers were needed
Stock rod bolts, the older ls1's had the weaker rod bolts, after reading about several trunnion issues I'll probably pull mine apart this winter to check since they have about 20 thousand miles on them, I don't think you would have any problems shifting at 7000
Old 10-23-2016, 02:55 AM
C6David
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

My car is a stock cammed car but I cross the traps at 7100-7300 hitting the limiter some times and its fine. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to shift at 7000 with some good valvetrain
Old 10-27-2016, 10:00 AM
stillspinnin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C6David
My car is a stock cammed car but I cross the traps at 7100-7300 hitting the limiter some times and its fine. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to shift at 7000 with some good valvetrain
I'm thinking I might just do that. I did some more research and plenty of people spin higher than 7500 but the consensus seems if you're going to go to 7500 you might as well be spinning to 8K. I did come across some cool engines like the destroked ls3 331 hot rod did (spins to 8400) and a few flat plane crank conversions. SAM built an lsx 434 that goes to 10K. Rpm is def. Do able but I'm a turbo guy at heart lol.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:05 AM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

so what did you end up doing here? I'm going to be running tfs heads with yt rockers and and wondering how high I'd be able to spin if I added lifters into the mix. 800-1000 more rpm out of the ls3 would be wicked. Just wondering what kind of longevity issues might be there, even if you build properly.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:39 AM
Navy Blue 210
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts

Cam Motion Low Lash Solid Roller set up can
Provide 8000 RPM Stability, Stock LS3 bottom end
should be able to handle 7500 RPM for 1/4 mile
Shift points, ported oil pump to address cavitation
would help beyound ~7200 RPM along with other
Oiling mods. MMS, TFS,AFR,or MAST Heads, along
With the FAST LS3 with Mid-Length Runners.
Wouldn't take too big of a cam to get a 7000 RPM
HP Peak that carries to ~7500 RPM.
Something Like 241*/249* (hydraulic equivalent
Roughly 235*/243* adjusted for Lash) similar to
the Vengeance "Kaotic" with another .050" lift.
Roller Rockers, Good Lifters, Springs, and Push Rods.
It has been done on LS1 Tech for a while now.
At least 12-18 months.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:51 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

Forget about the valvetrain for a minute. The real issue is oil system, oil control. A stock bearing clearance isn't going to be adequate for extremely high RPM. Even showing 100psi of oil pressure the farthest bearings can starve if clearance is tight enough.

And new engines are all about tight clearance.

When you want a very high RPM you rebuild the engine with larger than factory bearing clearance, and use thicker "racing" weight oil. Typically 50 or 60W. Since the engine is used for racing purposes you ensure complete pre-warming before an event and it never cools off during that event, thus single grade oil is ideal for that competitive event.

Somewhere between 1-race day 1-grade racing 50W oils and daily driver capable 0W-20 oils is everything between a high RPM race car and a cold-start friendly minimal cold-wear maximal warm-up daily driver. And its in the 0.002" of difference at the bearing that determines this.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:59 AM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
Forget about the valvetrain for a minute. The real issue is oil system, oil control. A stock bearing clearance isn't going to be adequate for extremely high RPM. Even showing 100psi of oil pressure the farthest bearings can starve if clearance is tight enough.

And new engines are all about tight clearance.

When you want a very high RPM you rebuild the engine with larger than factory bearing clearance, and use thicker "racing" weight oil. Typically 50 or 60W. Since the engine is used for racing purposes you ensure complete pre-warming before an event and it never cools off during that event, thus single grade oil is ideal for that competitive event.

Somewhere between 1-race day 1-grade racing 50W oils and daily driver capable 0W-20 oils is everything between a high RPM race car and a cold-start friendly minimal cold-wear maximal warm-up daily driver. And its in the 0.002" of difference at the bearing that determines this.

so where do you feel oil becomes a limiting factor if the valve train is solid?

Get notified of new replies

To Whats it take to spin 7.5k?

Old 06-02-2018, 01:04 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bigwebb
so where do you feel oil becomes a limiting factor if the valve train is solid?
Did you mean oil pressure?

Last time I checked real race cars using high tech oil system containment strategy go by flow rate through the engine, not pressure. They are measuring the amount of oil that comes out of the engine per unit time, at some RPM. Then adjusting that up or down, regardless of what pressure says.

Without being able to measure flow rate coming out, all you have is the pressure number of what is going in. Auto manufacturers have been making engines tighter and tighter since the 60's, its gotten so tight now that they are using 0W oils for cold start flow. And still able to achieve a reasonable RPM range. But if everybody starts out with the same exact engine- only the person who modifies theirs to go a little harder, a little higher, can win the race. So what it really comes down to is how serious is the race. If you are not racing seriously for $$ then you don't probably need an additional 1000-2000 rpm of headroom for power. The stress on the engine past 6k becomes ridiculous quickly, and often there are 'easier' less stressful ways to increase power around 6k (more boost pressure is often 'easier' than another 1k rpm) that does not infringe on oil system capability.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:23 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
Did you mean oil pressure?

Last time I checked real race cars using high tech oil system containment strategy go by flow rate through the engine, not pressure. They are measuring the amount of oil that comes out of the engine per unit time, at some RPM. Then adjusting that up or down, regardless of what pressure says.

Without being able to measure flow rate coming out, all you have is the pressure number of what is going in. Auto manufacturers have been making engines tighter and tighter since the 60's, its gotten so tight now that they are using 0W oils for cold start flow. And still able to achieve a reasonable RPM range. But if everybody starts out with the same exact engine- only the person who modifies theirs to go a little harder, a little higher, can win the race. So what it really comes down to is how serious is the race. If you are not racing seriously for $$ then you don't probably need an additional 1000-2000 rpm of headroom for power. The stress on the engine past 6k becomes ridiculous quickly, and often there are 'easier' less stressful ways to increase power around 6k (more boost pressure is often 'easier' than another 1k rpm) that does not infringe on oil system capability.

All I'm looking for is what rpm is "safe" to spin to, before you reach that point? I don't want to spin to 8000, or even 7500 really. I just want to know where I should set the limit if I've got a very solid valve train, if you feel that oiling/oil pressure/volume etc. becomes the issue.

Seems like the answer is likely 7200-7300rpm
Old 06-02-2018, 03:03 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Two ways to predict failure

Problem: An engineer with the model can predict the odds of failure. This is undoubtedly done by the OEM engineers who originally design it etc...
solution: You could make your own models to predict failure for old/new parts/combinations

Problem: Through experimentation results, i.e. run a population of engines 10x have a 7200rpm redline, 10x have 7300, 10x have 7400, etc... with identical oil setups and then experiment and tweak to find the optimal, longest lasting champion combination. The next step is to copy it down, program it to a computer which can automatically machine and produce identical copies of this award winning engine with as little human/computer error introduced as possible technologically at the time. The OEM are largest and most capable, i.e. the closest thing to this.

Quick Reply: Whats it take to spin 7.5k?