C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer out of alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 05:02 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Mark the bolt somehow so you can tell if they replace it, which they should.

Personally, I would throw the old balancer through the front window of the dealer, but that's just me

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Since I am FI now I also pinned the HB. I do mine pretty different than most others. I pin not only the HB to the crank, but pin the bolt as well after it's torqued to spec. Now nothing will spin loose. Much harder to do it this way, but I sleep better.
What happens if you need to take the balancer back off?

Last edited by NJ_phil; 11-23-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:12 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the procedure on my payed repair site says to use a harmonic balancer install tool ( not the old bolt) to pull the balancer into place.I believe the GM repair manual says the same thing...They say some have stripped out the threads in the crank using a bolt to pull the balancer on.....Also you don't just torque the stock bolt, you have to torque the bolt to a specifed number, then tighten the bolt to a certain degree past that torque spec, I believe it's something like 34 degrees past the torque spec.. The ARP bolt is the one that you just torque to their given torque spec and your done.. That's why alot of guys like the ARP bolts better then stock...WW
So, you're conflating two things. When using the NEW style GM HB bolt, with the flat head loctite coating:

Install and seat the HB using an install tool (which is just a long threaded rod).
Use the old bolt to final seat the Hb torquing to 240lbs.
Remove that bolt, install the NEW bolt, torque to 37lbs
Then torque an additional 140* using a degree wheel.

The new GM bolt with the loctite washer coating is superior IMO.

Also, there were older specs (probably in the GM manual) for dealing with the earlier bolt style. Something like
torque 111lbs first pass; loosen 360*; torque 59lbs; torque an additional 125* but don't quote me. And I think this was the bolt that commonly spun itself loose on LS2s.

EDIT on the par above. I looked up these specs and what I was calling an earlier spec actually came from the 2010 Corvette GM manual. so, not related to the LS2. I've only used the first set of specs. which I am pretty sure came with the HB bolt 12557840. Both specs are actually very close in what they are accomplishing in clamping force.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 11-23-2016 at 07:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
WW7 (11-24-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 05:50 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NJ_phil
Mark the bolt somehow so you can tell if they replace it, which they should.

Personally, I would throw the old balancer through the front window of the dealer, but that's just me

What happens if you need to take the balancer back off?
Post # 20
Old 11-23-2016, 06:07 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

So, you're conflating two things. When using the NEW style GM HB bolt, with the flat head loctite coating:

Install and seat the HB using an install tool (which is just a long threaded rod).
Then torque an additional 140* using a degree wheel.

The new GM bolt with the loctite washer coating is superior IMO.

Also, there were older specs (probably in the GM manual) for dealing with the earlier bolt style. Something like
torque 111lbs first pass; loosen 360*; torque 59lbs; torque an additional 125* but don't quote me. And I think this was the bolt that commonly spun itself loose on LS2s.
the hb bolt and torque specs for them on C6's have always been the same according to my factory service manual and the DEW washer goes on the back of the hb not on the hb bolt.the hb bolt that became loose on the earlier LS2's is the same bolt

Last edited by irok; 11-23-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:58 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

The pilot hole is drilled using a special jig I built to mount to the powerbond HB puller bolt holes. It is drilled 35mm deep. The dowel pin is 25mm long. It is pressed in flush with the bolt. If the HB needs to be removed, the dowel is simply tapped in past the bolt head using a drift punch. Then remove as normal.
Good engineering...nice job!
Old 11-24-2016, 10:09 AM
vigman
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Corrected my bad info.....
BUT
"Install and seat the HB using an install tool (which is just a long threaded rod).
Then torque an additional 140* using a degree wheel."

If you do not have a new shinny bolt in there they skipped a step...
Just saying it NEEDS to be looked at with a critical eye and not SWS
( Service Writer Spin )

Last edited by vigman; 11-24-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:06 PM
rubblerubble
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would there be a problem if they didn't replace the bolt?
Old 11-25-2016, 03:04 PM
Paratrooper307
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There could be. The bolt is torque-to-yield. Like head bolts, these actually stretch slightly when installed. Because of this stretch, they should only be used once. There is a possibility that reused bolts won't hold their torque settings and back out. Since LS engines don't use a keyway (for whatever reason) maintaining torque is very important. It's also why you have to pin them if you're using a blower.

Last edited by Paratrooper307; 11-25-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:07 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Paratrooper307
There could be. The bolt is torque-to-yield. Like head bolts, these actually stretch slightly when installed. Because of this stretch, they should only be used once. There is a possibility that reused bolts won't hold their torque settings and back out. Since LS engines don't use a keyway (for whatever reason) maintaining torque is very important. It's also why you have to pin them if you're using a blower.
And we're still trying to figure out what that other reason is for not doing a keyway...sheesh, how much could that cost when GM orders thousands and thousands of crankshafts and balancers from whatever supplier.

And I agree, bad idea to re-use a torque-to-yield bolt. By specifying a certain arc to tighten the bolt to, they are essentially specifying a proper amount of stretch or elongation of the bolt. Since the other end of the bolt is in a blind hole, a caliper can't be used to measure the stretch over the actual length of the bolt, so an arc must be specified in degrees. With something like a connecting rod bolt, both ends of the bolt can be reached for measurement, so the actual stretch can be easily measured from one end of the bolt to the other...only important with torque-to-yield fasteners.

Last edited by cclive; 11-25-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:26 PM
rubblerubble
Heel & Toe

Well, they said they couldn't get the harmonic balancer to align right with the pulley's for the belt so they're taking it to a Chevy dealership to have a corvette "expert" to see what he could do. Man, I miss driving the vette already. My firebird isn't for the 30 degrees mornings. Back in Texas I didn't see much of this cold and so I didn't work on my car's heater. lol
Thanks for the time on the answers guys, I really appreciate it!
I feel welcomed in the forum being new to a corvette.

Last edited by rubblerubble; 11-28-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:21 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rubblerubble
Well, they said they couldn't get the harmonic balancer to align right with the pulley's for the belt so they're taking it to a Chevy dealership to have a corvette "expert" to see what he could do. Man, I miss driving the vette already. My firebird isn't for the 30 degrees mornings. Back in Texas I didn't see much of this cold and so I didn't work on my car's heater. lol
Hmmm...That's suspicious...alignment comes automatically on the first torque sequence of 240 lbs with the old bolt. Can't come up with a theory here unless they somehow slipped on a new seal without removing the old one, It would have been crushed on install, but would have created an extra spacer...or they are trying to fit the wrong HB.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:53 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by rubblerubble
the hb is not seated or they used the wrong one.check the snout on the crank to see that it hasn't been damaged from improper installation preventing it from seating properly.you wouldn't think its possible but if they knocked the dew washer off the back of the balancer and folded it over it may be preventing the hb from seating properly

Last edited by irok; 11-29-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:30 AM
rubblerubble
Heel & Toe

Couldn't see the car yet. Can't tell what it looks like. It's an hour and a half away and I'm working 12 hours a day.
any advice on what I should ask or tell the mechanic?
Old 11-29-2016, 11:10 AM
cclive
Team Owner

One entire rib on the belt is quite a bit of misalignment...maybe 1/8 inch. As was said above, this implies that something simple and obvious is wrong. It's interesting that they would not be able to get the HB to seat properly so they just gave the car back to you to drive....not good.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:17 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

I think it's possible that they could have left the old friction washer behind the balancer (if they actually replaced the balancer and washer anyway).

Name:  96vuUbh.png
Views: 294
Size:  48.3 KB

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer out of alignment?