C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed: CD MECH ERROR/iSimple Gateway - 2007 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 04:09 PM
jfdickson
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed: CD MECH ERROR/iSimple Gateway - 2007 Convertible

I'm trying to install an iSimple Gateway on my dad's 2007 C6 convertible. Seems the factory radio was replaced at some point with a refurb that doesn't support XM (required for the iSimple Gateway to work). Current radio is 6 CD changer GM PN 25788434 (Manuf 09/2005). Cycling through bands - AM, FM1 & FM2 are all you get. XM was an option in 2007 (became std equip in 2008), and car had XM option (XM receiver is present under waterfall). My assumption at this point is that this radio doesn't support XM. So, I went to eBay and and bought a 2008 (GM PN 15866355) 6 disc changer. I'd like to have the aux input that was added to the 2008 radio. I'm getting a CD MECH ERROR after installing the 2008 radio, so the CD changer is useless, but the iSimple and XM work. On to my questions:

1. Can the refurb radio that replaced the factory unit be "programmed" to access the XM functions? If so, how? Need steps to tell dealer service how/what to do.

2. If not, is the "CD MECH ERROR" with the 2008 radio a programming issue related to VIN that can be eliminated by dealer "programming"? I've experienced this same issue with 2 different 2008 radios.

I know I could get all of this with an aftermarket unit, but I don't want to do that.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:47 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I think your right with #2? post what you find out as I have an 08 radio/cd I want to put in my 06.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:44 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

The first radio (2005 model) with the car has a XM channel, but it has to be programmed in with a Tech II tool to get that channel active to begin with.

The second radio you just installed is going to security lock out as soon as you try to start the car, and it too, will need to be remarried to the car with a Tech II tool. As for the CD MECH ERROR, that is in the radio, and has nothing to do with the programming (bad radio from the start,something is grounded out on the separate disc changer connector back in the back trunk area, or you have the I simple toggle set wrong and the system thinks that there is another disk changer in play).
Note, on the convertible, XM module goes under the waterfall cover, and there is a plug in the trunk to add another disc changer to the system as well.

As for the only difference on the radio with the "CD MECH ERROR" now with the XM band working, it had the XM channel programmed into via a tech II tool and why it did not first have to be programmed via a Tech II tool to get the XM channel active like on the 05 radio in the car.

If the problem is happening with a couple of different radios, then check the dip switchs on the I simple to make sure they are set correctly, the Cd changer plug in the trunk is not grounding out, and the I simple unit is the correct unit and flashed for the Vet.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:28 AM
jfdickson
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Dano523
The first radio (2005 model) with the car has a XM channel, but it has to be programmed in with a Tech II tool to get that channel active to begin with.

The second radio you just installed is going to security lock out as soon as you try to start the car, and it too, will need to be remarried to the car with a Tech II tool. As for the CD MECH ERROR, that is in the radio, and has nothing to do with the programming (bad radio from the start,something is grounded out on the separate disc changer connector back in the back trunk area, or you have the I simple toggle set wrong and the system thinks that there is another disk changer in play).
Note, on the convertible, XM module goes under the waterfall cover, and there is a plug in the trunk to add another disc changer to the system as well.

As for the only difference on the radio with the "CD MECH ERROR" now with the XM band working, it had the XM channel programmed into via a tech II tool and why it did not first have to be programmed via a Tech II tool to get the XM channel active like on the 05 radio in the car.

If the problem is happening with a couple of different radios, then check the dip switchs on the I simple to make sure they are set correctly, the Cd changer plug in the trunk is not grounding out, and the I simple unit is the correct unit and flashed for the Vet.
Just for further clarification, the CD MECH ERROR happens whether the isimple harness is connected or not. Also, if wiring for trunk unit was grounding out, wouldn't the 05 changer have CD MECH ERROR as well? Just trying to be sure it's just a bad unit.

Thanks for the clarification that the XM can be programmmed on the 05 radio. That will get me where I'm trying to go as that radio is already VIN matched and the CD changer works.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:57 PM
jfdickson
4th Gear

Here's the info I needed in the beginning. Posting for others who may find this thread.

http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductD...tin_080411.pdf
Old 11-27-2016, 07:29 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Originally Posted by jfdickson
Here's the info I needed in the beginning. Posting for others who may find this thread.

http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductD...tin_080411.pdf

FYI, you don't list your location, but there are enough of us with Clone Tech II's that can save you the $120 that the dealer is going to charge you to use a Tech II on the car (yes, they charge that even through is only take about a min to program the XM channel in on the radio, or even to marry a OEM radio to the car.

If you list your location, one of use should be close enough to just stop by and flash the XM channel into the radio once you have it reconnected.

As for the radio having the CD error, and the ISGM not in play, would think that that is a radio problem from the start instead.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:59 PM
jfdickson
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Dano523
FYI, you don't list your location, but there are enough of us with Clone Tech II's that can save you the $120 that the dealer is going to charge you to use a Tech II on the car (yes, they charge that even through is only take about a min to program the XM channel in on the radio, or even to marry a OEM radio to the car.

If you list your location, one of use should be close enough to just stop by and flash the XM channel into the radio once you have it reconnected.

As for the radio having the CD error, and the ISGM not in play, would think that that is a radio problem from the start instead.
I'm in Natchitoches, Louisiana.

Get notified of new replies

To Help needed: CD MECH ERROR/iSimple Gateway - 2007 Convertible

Quick Reply: Help needed: CD MECH ERROR/iSimple Gateway - 2007 Convertible