C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls7 ti rods vs boost

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 12:39 PM
n_brio
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Ls7 ti rods vs boost

A friend of mine have 7 Ls7 ti rods that he is allmoast giving me.

I have now a stock ls2 but i have a ttix kit laying arround in my garage and i was planing to buy forged piston and rods.

But how does the ls7 pistion hold up with boost?
Im going to use the stock ls2 crank so i need custom pistons if i use the ls7 rods but i assume that the prisce for custom pistons are allmoast the same.

what power do you think this can handle?
Old 12-04-2016, 05:01 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

What block???

The stock LS7 block has thin as hell liners between each cylinder and will not hold a lot of boost to begin with.

LS9 block and you can see the full cylinder liners in play to allow for the higher boost levels,

If a LSX block, that is a different story, since the cast iron block can hold more pressure for the cylinder liners instead.

If you are looking at high boost, then an after market block with full/thick cylinder liners is the way to go instead.

Bluntly, on the LS7 in the vet, it biggest hurdle is getting it to breath right with the room under the hood/correct intake manifold, so boost levels are kept low, and this solves the breathing problem instead.

Hell, Mercury racing already solved the problem with the larger engine and intake manifold problem, and there solution to come up with a NA 7.0, 775hp LS motor with dual TB's with the needed runners instead.
Note, over head cams help with the HP level as well.

So the fact that the motor is based on a LS block, may be the way to go if you are looking for around 775HP on a NA motor (read tons of torque, and don't have to play/wait for a centrifugal super charger to come on line instead).

Last edited by Dano523; 12-04-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:15 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

The LS7 is a stout engine but meant for high revs. Personally I would not try and use the LS7 rods for your build and just boost your LS2 and concentrate on a good tune.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:12 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Let me actually answer your questions.

First you asked about the LS7 pistons. They are not good for boost. There are guys that do run setups with them but not with very much psi.

Then you asked what kind of power it can handle. This is yet to be determined. It will vary depending on what block, rotating assembly, fuel, and tuner you plan on using.

For the record there has never been a documented case of LS7 rod failure where the rod was the actual cause.

Last edited by User Omega; 12-05-2016 at 04:14 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ls7 ti rods vs boost

Quick Reply: Ls7 ti rods vs boost