C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Making Weird Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Evn86
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2006 Making Weird Noise

Ok so my car has been making a really weird noise/vibration lately. It just started a few days ago and started right after I had tightened some clamps on the exhaust and installed z51 rotors/brackets. I think it is just a coincidence that it started happening right after the install/tightening because I've gone back and re checked the rotors and brakes to make sure they are all good and the sound is still there even when not moving so it not the wheels or bearings. I made sure the exhaust wasn't touching anything on the car such as heat shields so its not that. I do have LG headers installed but I never had this weird noise after the I installed the headers.

Ok so for the sound....it only happens when the car is warmed up and I start driving. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side foot well area/engine bay. I really notice it around 1500 and 3000 RPMS at first then after that I can just hear it whenever. While driving and hitting the gas it almost sounds like a droning type noise. Once I come to a stop though I can still hear it and it almost sounds like a rattle, then when starting from first again you can really notice it.

Again I don't think it is the exhaust, wheels, rotors, or wheel bearings. I think it might be flywheel or something with the clutch?

The video link is after I had been driving, the car is completely warmed up, and I pulled into a parking lot. I sat there idle for a while and the rattle/noise went away after a few minutes. I also tried reving the engine a bit and it didn't have any effect on the loudness of the noise. That is where the video begins. You can hear it when I first take off in first gear then at 25-26 seconds you can hear that droning type noise that I was talking about and throughout the rest of the video.

Anyone know what it could be or had this issue?

Last edited by Evn86; 12-06-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:24 PM
bassman50
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

From what you describe, it sounds as though something is coming into contact with the frame or bottom of the floorboard on the passenger side. This noise could also be carried from somewhere else by the frame/floorboard, etc. You said the noise didn't appear until after you did the work on the car, and then only when the engine is warmed up.

I'd be willing to bet that something in the exhaust system (a clamp or something of the like) is making contact with another component and the sound is getting carried into the car. Just my thoughts . . . . best of luck tracking it down.

Steve
Old 12-06-2016, 03:54 PM
Evn86
Intermediate

That's what I initially thought too but I checked again to make sure nothing was touching and made sure nothing was even close to touching any part of the frame or floorboard even if warmed up. The weird part is if I sit idle for a few minutes the sound goes away until I put it in gear again and start driving.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:35 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

You'd be surprised how much exhaust moves after it's warmed up. It really sounds like the exhaust hitting to me. Hope you find out what it is.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:58 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Sounds like possibly a torque tube assembly/bearing starting to go. There's also 2 couplers that will make noises and cause the pilot bearing in the flywheel to go bad.

Last edited by extrapilot; 12-06-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:11 PM
Evn86
Intermediate

Originally Posted by extrapilot
Sounds like possibly a torque tube assembly/bearing starting to go. There's also 2 couplers that will make noises and cause the pilot bearing in the flywheel to go bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_3DQSng0PM&t=73s
Could it possibly be the torque tube bearing even if I don't hear it at idle when first starting the car and if the sound goes away after sitting idle for a little while at a stop light after driving? Is there different stages of the torque tube bearing going out or is it just one and done? Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:43 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Evn86
Could it possibly be the torque tube bearing even if I don't hear it at idle when first starting the car and if the sound goes away after sitting idle for a little while at a stop light after driving? Is there different stages of the torque tube bearing going out or is it just one and done? Thanks for the reply.
Notice in the video I posted the operator had to "play" with the throttle to get it to sound off. When you said the noise was present while waiting at a light, this was the clue to the noise, as both your video and this one sounded similar. Bearings are funny how they can make noise and not, but realizing that this could be characteristic of the start of a bad bearing or coupler issue.
Keep in mind also while stopped at a light, the driveshaft will stop turning when in gear clutch depressed; put it in neutral, release the clutch, it will start turning. Also keep in mind with no load on the bearings, it could be quiet in that condition.
If the bearings are allowing the driveshaft inside the tube to become loose while rotating, that would present a harmonic like noise that I heard in your video. See if you can "feel" the noise the next time thru the shifter, as it's mounted on the tube, although I think it's insulated in the design, you may feel it.
This is my observation and I could be way off base here, using only the videos for a diagnostic tool so use this info as something to consider.
Good Luck.

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 Making Weird Noise

Quick Reply: 2006 Making Weird Noise