C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone make a good diff brace for an Auto C6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:59 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by WickedVetteLT4
Looks very similar to how mine broke. Output shaft snapped, the plate between trans and diff broke and the ears on the diff itself broke off as well.
What caused your failure? This happened to me on run# 3 of a newly built car. I can't blame it on traction or wheel hop as I had neither.

BIGMAC
Old 12-21-2016, 09:20 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
Doug,

Please PM as well. Not only did I destroy the "built" A6 but I also took out the Z06 differential case as well. And this was on run #3 of a newly built 2012 GS on NT05R DR's with zero traction. See pics to witness the carnage.

BIGMAC
Holy ****, that diff housing is FUBAR. Did the trans grenade as well??
That's the same setup I have (A6/Z06 diff) so now I'm really getting worried. What would cause the ears to snap off the difference like that anyhow? I've launched my car dozens of times with the same NT05Rs (and M&Hs) on the street, and with the Nittos it's spins so violently through first that it's on the limiter the minute my foot hits the floor. I guess the only thing that saved me so far is that we don't currently have a track.
If ECS does a batch of those braces, I'm in for one too. I want to order a fuel system from them anyhow...

Last edited by CI GS; 12-21-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:36 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The ECS one is pretty robust. Like I say, I have a manual, but the support system is similar.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:01 AM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

What caused your failure? This happened to me on run# 3 of a newly built car. I can't blame it on traction or wheel hop as I had neither.

BIGMAC
Mine broke on the first pass at the track on the 15's. It dead hooked and ripped out of the hole for a split second and boom. It snapped as it was getting close to shifting to second.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:32 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by CI GS
Holy ****, that diff housing is FUBAR. Did the trans grenade as well??
That's the same setup I have (A6/Z06 diff) so now I'm really getting worried. What would cause the ears to snap off the difference like that anyhow? I've launched my car dozens of times with the same NT05Rs (and M&Hs) on the street, and with the Nittos it's spins so violently through first that it's on the limiter the minute my foot hits the floor. I guess the only thing that saved me so far is that we don't currently have a track.
If ECS does a batch of those braces, I'm in for one too. I want to order a fuel system from them anyhow...
Something out of the ordinary has to happen for these breakages. I have the stock C6 diff case (built internal), which is not as strong as the Z06 case and never anything like this. I have at various times broken an axle, an output shaft, twisted the intermediate shaft, and broken the spider gears. Never had any break or crack of the casings. Hundreds of launches on it over the past 5 or 6 years.
It would be really nice to know the actual cause of this.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:42 PM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Something out of the ordinary has to happen for these breakages. I have the stock C6 diff case (built internal), which is not as strong as the Z06 case and never anything like this. I have at various times broken an axle, an output shaft, twisted the intermediate shaft, and broken the spider gears. Never had any break or crack of the casings. Hundreds of launches on it over the past 5 or 6 years.
It would be really nice to know the actual cause of this.
Yes. It does seem I really did a number on the transaxle. Once I have the diagnosis from the transmission shop I will post the information.

BIGMAC
Old 12-22-2016, 05:10 PM
nenji01
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
We have made braces for A6's before, we just do not get a lot of calls for them. I'll see if we have brackets ready to go. I'll PM you.
i do be intrested for one aswell
Old 12-23-2016, 02:22 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

With mine, something got put in a bind. I'm not sure if the output shaft snapped first and bound up breaking the rest or the other way around. Regardless... it sucks and it's an expensive repair. Lol
Old 12-23-2016, 02:54 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by WickedVetteLT4
With mine, something got put in a bind. I'm not sure if the output shaft snapped first and bound up breaking the rest or the other way around. Regardless... it sucks and it's an expensive repair. Lol
my money is on the output shaft letting go first
Old 12-23-2016, 03:05 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Nobody makes a stronger output shaft, but its a pretty rare thing. I don't recall seeing one break before.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:43 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

Yeah I searched high and low for an upgraded output shaft but OEM was the only option. Cryo-treating may help but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have this issue again.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:52 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

We have made braces for A6's before, we just do not get a lot of calls for them. I'll see if we have brackets ready to go. I'll PM you.
Sent you a PM
Old 12-26-2016, 01:11 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

We are working on this guys, I am putting together a trans and diff now to mock up what we have. I'll PM you when completed.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:10 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

We are working on this guys, I am putting together a trans and diff now to mock up what we have. I'll PM you when completed.
Sweet! Thanks Doug!!
Old 12-27-2016, 01:05 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Old 01-05-2017, 08:05 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Doug,

Can you give us an idea of if and when you may be able to provide the A6 brace? Hopefully my car will be going back together soon.

BIGMAC
Old 01-05-2017, 10:09 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Doug,

Can you give us an idea of if and when you may be able to provide the A6 brace? Hopefully my car will be going back together soon.

BIGMAC

We have been working on it this week, so we should have this completed soon.

Thanks guys!

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone make a good diff brace for an Auto C6?

Old 01-05-2017, 12:43 PM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

We have been working on it this week, so we should have this completed soon.

Thanks guys!
Sweet! I sent you a PM asking the same thing but this answers my question. Just let us know!

Thanks Doug!
Old 01-06-2017, 09:58 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Yes. It does seem I really did a number on the transaxle. Once I have the diagnosis from the transmission shop I will post the information.

BIGMAC
The word from the transmission builder was the problem was a "clean break" of the output shaft with no other internal damage. Trans guy said the likely cause was "wheel hop" but this happened on my third run ever on the car at launch after the burnout and I don't recall any "wheel hop" on the prior two runs or the burnout just prior to the failure. I spun badly on the 345/30/19 Nitto NT05 DR's but I hope this would not cause such breakage.

However, the serial number on the transmission indicated it had been built some two years prior to when my build was started so I can only assume my builder used a transmission that had been in another car and not the "fresh build" I thought I was getting. Another sign something was not right was the converter that was in the trans was PATC not the Pro-Torque I ordered. While I am disappointed that my car builder apparently did not install what I was expecting, at least this provides a possible explanation why the trans output shaft broke on my third run. Who knows how much abuse was on the transmission that could have contributed to the shaft failure. I sure hope so since this has been a very costly fix and I can't afford another one!

BIGMAC
Old 02-02-2017, 05:38 AM
WickedVetteLT4
Melting Slicks

I'm hoping these will be available soon. It's the only missing link that we need to get my car back together.

Quick Reply: Does anyone make a good diff brace for an Auto C6?