C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob problem?

Old 01-05-2017, 12:06 AM
Mo Mosey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Key fob problem?

Now ive done an extensive amount kf research on this, and just need to find out how to diagnose this without buying stuff blindly..

I have an 07 z06 and it came with its original 07 key fob and an 08+ style fob that ive been using with no problems since may of 2016.

The original fob never really worked (i assumed only one fob works at a time?)

Now, the 08+ fob that ive always been using takes several tries to open the doors. Whethrr its pressing the button on the fob or just opening the door with fob in hand/pocket.

I also get the infamous (key fob not detected on the dic when i try and start it almost 80% of the time. It also has troubke detecting the fob when i turn the car off as well.

Does anyone know how I can simply diagnose what my real issue is without buying parts or even a new key fob? I know switching to the old key fob may fix the problem, but 1, i dont know how to program it to work and 2, I'd like to keep the 08+ style key fob for the car.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:21 AM
ogulcanio
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you switch to new style fob your old fobs wont work anymore. This may sound stupid but have you checked the battery of the fob?
Old 01-05-2017, 01:41 AM
Mo Mosey
Instructor

Originally Posted by ogulcanio
If you switch to new style fob your old fobs wont work anymore. This may sound stupid but have you checked the battery of the fob?
Haha, not stupid at all, but yea. I changed them with no luck. The fob is actually worse than what it was before, it never really had a hard time with locking and unlocking via pressing the buttons..
Old 01-06-2017, 12:05 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

The symptoms are completely consistent with either a low fob battery or interference from a charger and/or cellphone plugged in to the cig lighter or console outlet in the car.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:30 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by ogulcanio
That's incorrect.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:55 AM
08zee
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone replaced their fob? My #1 for my 2008 Z06 needs to be replaced and I wondered what is the best deal and how to get the new one synched with the car.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:46 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 08zee
Has anyone replaced their fob? My #1 for my 2008 Z06 needs to be replaced and I wondered what is the best deal and how to get the new one synched with the car.
You can buy new at Cultrag, on Amazon or at a dealer or used on Ebay. Use these instructions to program:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tructions.html
Old 01-06-2017, 11:47 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by EVRose
That's incorrect.
All C6 fobs will work with all C6s. The metal key can be made to work with a bit of effort but the electronics are the same.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:00 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah, I've used the new style fob on a 2005, so I'm sure it will work with later models. You can program multiple remotes, (can't remember if the limit is 2 or 4) doesn't matter what versions they are. The car doesn't know or care. For whatever reason the new style remote trunk button never worked on my 2005 but I've never seen anyone else report that being an issue, so maybe it was just me.

Programming is easy enough, as referenced earlier. The # on the back of the remote makes no difference. It's literally just something stamped on the back of the remote to make it easier for end users to differentiate between remotes, nothing else.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:09 PM
08zee
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. I have already printed the instructions and will use when I get the fobs.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:03 PM
Mo Mosey
Instructor

Ok, so whever i open up the fob, take the battery out and put it all back together, it works perfectly.. This would lead me to think the battery is bad, but its literally new... So if i buy another battery and it does the same thing, what else would it be? The whole fob?
Old 01-07-2017, 12:25 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mo Mosey
Ok, so whever i open up the fob, take the battery out and put it all back together, it works perfectly.. This would lead me to think the battery is bad, but its literally new... So if i buy another battery and it does the same thing, what else would it be? The whole fob?
This implies to me that there is either corrosion or some problem with the contacts getting good bite on the battery.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:44 AM
Turbokraft
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a similar problem as OP. (08 Z) I began having "no fob" problems and replaced the battery. My door locks always worked correctly but "no fob" became worse. I purchased a new fob from our local dealer and programmed it using instructions from this forum (THANK YOU CF) and it worked perfect every time. Using advice posted by cclive I reopened the original fob and cleaned the contacts, both the metal touching the battery and the copper on the printed circuit. In addition I also bent the battery contacts slightly to increase tension. It now works perfect also.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:05 PM
Mo Mosey
Instructor

I appreciate everyone's help. I bought a new battery and installed it, plus bent the contact points as well and it works now.. I'll probably go back in there and clean the contact points too bc of a no fob error that occurred 1 time when turning off my car, but other than that, its about 99% there.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:32 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

It has been reported that the batteries with the "X's" engraved in the smooth side caused issues. Try and find a battery without the "X's".

Also, if IIRC the max is 3 fobs. After the 3rd FOB is programmed and you try to program another it will roll the 1st FOB off. You should always use the relearn procedure vs the long procedure (using the same FOBS) for this reason.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:20 PM
v3tXtc
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C7 Fob Fun - 2014 Z51 Coupe M7

So, I lost one of my original fobs. Bought an exact replacement (used fob) on eBay. I can't get it to program with the short method referenced in this forum. Similar experience, I get to the point where the DIC displays "Ready to Program 3", I insert the replacement fob in the steering column, press the Start/Stop button (I have tried short press, long press, etc). DIC never displays "Ready for Program 4". Replacement fob does not work - doesn't control anything.

So, I went to the dealer. This is a local dealer that has always treated me well. They "tested" the fob and told me it is fine. Testing was to set the fob on top of the tester, press each button and the tester responded with green LED confirmation. They also said that in their experience you can't program these with the method described in the owners manual (for what that is worth). They will program my replacement fob and provide a new emergency key for $70.

Frustrating, but I will probably take the dealers offer ...
Old 09-29-2020, 08:23 PM
NukeMMC
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by v3tXtc
So, I lost one of my original fobs. Bought an exact replacement (used fob) on eBay. I can't get it to program with the short method referenced in this forum. Similar experience, I get to the point where the DIC displays "Ready to Program 3", I insert the replacement fob in the steering column, press the Start/Stop button (I have tried short press, long press, etc). DIC never displays "Ready for Program 4". Replacement fob does not work - doesn't control anything.

So, I went to the dealer. This is a local dealer that has always treated me well. They "tested" the fob and told me it is fine. Testing was to set the fob on top of the tester, press each button and the tester responded with green LED confirmation. They also said that in their experience you can't program these with the method described in the owners manual (for what that is worth). They will program my replacement fob and provide a new emergency key for $70.

Frustrating, but I will probably take the dealers offer ...
Ummm ... don't you mean the glovebox slot^^? Also, you shouldn't need to press the bottom of the button (OFF/ACC not the START button at top) once you put the new/old fob in the glovebox slot. Just wait for it to say READY FOR FOB 4, then you remove the new fob and press the ACC/OFF to end the programming. Make sure you have a known-good fob on the console before you start. Just shut the cupholder lid and put it there.

I bought my 11 GS in July and the dealer I got it from had their Chevy branch program another fob so I would have 2. The original fob they had was taped together and worked most, but not all, of the time. The new fob worked 100%. I bought a #2 fob a couple weeks ago from EBay for under $100 shipped, since the fobs I had were both #1s. I went to program the new fob and found out it had already had 4 fobs programmed, so I had to do a "Long procedure" to re-program my fobs. All 3 work 100% now and any old fobs that were out there will now no longer work.

Last edited by NukeMMC; 09-29-2020 at 08:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Key fob problem?

Old 09-29-2020, 08:32 PM
NukeMMC
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Just noticed this:
C7 Fob Fun - 2014 Z51 Coupe M7

This is the C6 Forum. Try - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-and-rke.html

Last edited by NukeMMC; 09-29-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:00 PM
v3tXtc
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by NukeMMC
Just noticed this:
C7 Fob Fun - 2014 Z51 Coupe M7

This is the C6 Forum. Try - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-and-rke.html
Sorry for the confusion, thanks for the redirect
Old 11-18-2022, 05:07 PM
joe11756
Heel & Toe

I just bought this one from Ebay (M3N5WY7777A Remote Key Fob for Chevrolet Corvette 2005 06 07 08 09 2010 11 12 13) for my 2006 base coupe:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/15490341536...&segname=11604
When I insert it into the slot in the glove compartment, I never get the "ready for fob #x" on the DIC. I've tried it several times using the short method, but no luck. I did notice the feel is different going into the slot compared to my OEM oval shaped fob (the new one wiggles a bit compared to the OEM one). Any one else have that problem? I've read in several threads and on YouTube that it should work for an '06 even though the FCC ID is for the '08+.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key fob problem?