C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fact checks on tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:31 AM
Alex Annapolis
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default fact checks on tuning

So I learned of this guy that tunes/ modifies, cars as a side business at his home. Charges $350 for a tune. I have a stock car 6spd-05- I didn't think it would be worth but figured id call him anyway. He claims there is a bunch of stuff in our ECU that can be removed for a bit more power. Mainly, codes that restrict torque even when traction control is disengaged. He also said if I came back later down the road w some bolt-on's he would only charge 100 for a re tune
He wouldn't use a dyno on my car, simply delete some codes then take the car for test drives to tune a little further

Then I find companies like texas speed that sell mail order tunes for a little less- I would assume they are doing the same thing as this guy would?

Which is the best way to go in this scenario? Will I even notice a difference on a stock car?- I hear some people say yes, others no.
Is this something I can do on my own with a laptop and some research?

I know this is a highly talked about subject- I have done some searching- just hoping someone can set the confusion straight- thanks

Last edited by Alex Annapolis; 01-20-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:19 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

IMO get HP tuners and do it yourself. Super simple if you can read.

Yes, he is correct. C6 vettes and most GMs have torque management that limits torque. Just disabling that makes a big difference in delivered power. You can also disable the 1-4 shift, speed limiters, adjust fan settings, etc etc etc. Even a bone stock car should have a very noticeable difference with a tune.

That being said it all comes down to the tuner. This guy could be great or a flaming idiot that doesn't know what the hell he is doing. That is why I suggest anyone with 1/2 a brain just get the software themselves and do a little reading, and then you can do all the same adjustments.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:44 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

If you are convinced on getting a tune and not doing it yourself I would go with a reputable tuner such as Texas Speed , Chuck CoW or Diablo Lew . They all need you to buy their interface to log and load the new tune . I went with Diablo Lew and a Diablo I1000 for my Header and TCM tune and I am very happy with it .

Now for the next steps ... I will have to use HP TUNERS or have the car professional tuned when I purchase my cam

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 01-20-2017 at 06:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (01-23-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 10:30 PM
Alex Annapolis
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Unreal
IMO get HP tuners and do it yourself. Super simple if you can read.

Yes, he is correct. C6 vettes and most GMs have torque management that limits torque. Just disabling that makes a big difference in delivered power. You can also disable the 1-4 shift, speed limiters, adjust fan settings, etc etc etc. Even a bone stock car should have a very noticeable difference with a tune.

That being said it all comes down to the tuner. This guy could be great or a flaming idiot that doesn't know what the hell he is doing. That is why I suggest anyone with 1/2 a brain just get the software themselves and do a little reading, and then you can do all the same adjustments.
im convinced! Thats good news- Id greatly enjoy doing it myself
Thanks
Old 01-21-2017, 12:29 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,014 Likes on 2,172 Posts

At wide open throttle, the system is in open loop (not using the 02 sensors), and it's all tune that will either make the engine run correctly, or blow the motor instead.

So without a dyno and sensors to get the tune right during your WOT pulls to begin with, then all you can really do is keep it running rich/ ignition timing pulled, and work with data logs to tweak these long term instead.

Truth is, within about three dyno pulls, should be able to get the open loop tune spot on so the motor is going to put out as much HP that is avablile, then just a mater of some street time to make sure the rest of the tune is correct as well (transitions from open to closed loop, and back).

Hence with a dyno, your able to see what the car is making throughout the rpm range for both power and torque, to tune in the entire power range instead.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:35 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Dyno is nothing but a tool to let you make pulls without getting a ticket. Nothing special or magic. If you can do a pull on the street, that is better than a dyno IMO.

For what he wants, he doesn't even have to touch WOT fueling/etc.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:06 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Unreal
Dyno is nothing but a tool to let you make pulls without getting a ticket. Nothing special or magic. If you can do a pull on the street, that is better than a dyno IMO.

For what he wants, he doesn't even have to touch WOT fueling/etc.
But for a few dollars more than the street and yet no legal issues, the timeslips at the drags are even better.

I'd suggest getting HP tuners, downloading your stock tune, and doing baseline scans at the track. Then getting a dyno tune by a local professional and note the differences between the old and new scans. After that, you can make small tweaks to the dyno tune whenever you choose and after any mods, without the fear of doing something really bad while you learn.

Not only will the timeslip reveal the car's performance, but also your performance of how well you drive. It's a record that your butt dyno can't replicate and you get to have some fun in the process.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:18 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Annapolis
So I learned of this guy that tunes/ modifies, cars as a side business at his home.

When I did my tune I found the most well respected guy around and researched his work for 5 years back before pulling the trigger.

Car is a monster now and it makes all the difference.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:48 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Dcasole
If you are convinced on getting a tune and not doing it yourself I would go with a reputable tuner such as Texas Speed , Chuck CoW or Diablo Lew . They all need you to buy their interface to log and load the new tune .

Dave
Have a professional tuner do it for you.

Doing it yourself is CRAZY. You won't get the most out of it and you also risk destroying it....

Also, there is no way to get the CoW BOOSTER! doing it yourself.

Chuck CoW
Old 01-23-2017, 05:06 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW

Doing it yourself is CRAZY. You won't get the most out of it and you also risk destroying it....

Chuck CoW
and yes...you definitely want CoW BOOSTER!
Its the best mod on my car next to chuck's trans tune.

Last edited by tennblkc6; 01-23-2017 at 05:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 08:00 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW

Chuck CoW
Welcome back Chuck, we missed you lol lol

OP there are other ways to achieve the same results

Dave
Old 02-07-2017, 07:40 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
and yes...you definitely want CoW BOOSTER!
Its the best mod on my car next to chuck's trans tune.

Thank you!

Chuck CoW

Get notified of new replies

To fact checks on tuning

Quick Reply: fact checks on tuning