C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAV radio switch from 2010 to a 2005

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 12:39 PM
Scott Griggs
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAV radio switch from 2010 to a 2005

I know this has been discussed in multiple threads but I feel like I've read so much, I'm forgetting what I've read so looking for some help....I'm looking to purchase an OEM NAV radio from a 2010 corvette, will this work in my 2005? I know I have to get the GPS antena and the GPS data CD will be included. But just wondering if it will work in my 2005 and if so will I need anything else other then the Tech 2 adjustment and the things I've mentioned above (GPS antena and the GPS CD). Thanks
Old 01-20-2017, 06:39 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Yep it will work , plug and play (after vin relearn) you just can't add steering wheel controls

Dave
Old 01-21-2017, 12:34 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Yep it will work , plug and play (after vin relearn) you just can't add steering wheel controls

Dave

Yes you can, but will need to add a few wires to the harness when you add in a later model steering wheel with the later needed controls.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:06 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dano523
Yes you can, but will need to add a few wires to the harness when you add in a later model steering wheel with the later needed controls.
As I said above , it's plug and play .....adding the audio controls and later model steering wheel on a 2005 is not worth the effort and are NOT needed to complete the installation.....
.Dave
Old 01-23-2017, 11:36 PM
Scott Griggs
Navigator

Thanks for the response Dave. If I was to use the 2010 being it has capabilities for steering wheel audio controls and I will not have this for my 2005, does it make the installation any different or confusing? I quickly watched a video and it looked like there were only 3 wires that were unplugged from the factory unit (non NAV) and just plugged into the new NAV unit. I'm not really technical and just don't want to get in over my head when I go to install it myself. Although it took a few hrs, time lapsed in the video), seemed pretty easy.

Dave
Old 01-24-2017, 06:20 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Scott Griggs
Thanks for the response Dave. If I was to use the 2010 being it has capabilities for steering wheel audio controls and I will not have this for my 2005, does it make the installation any different or confusing? I quickly watched a video and it looked like there were only 3 wires that were unplugged from the factory unit (non NAV) and just plugged into the new NAV unit. I'm not really technical and just don't want to get in over my head when I go to install it myself. Although it took a few hrs, time lapsed in the video), seemed pretty easy.
Yep that is all there is to it , just double face tape the GPS unit on top of the air duct and then do the vin relearn , if you were local I could do it for you as I have a tech 11

Dave
Old 01-24-2017, 07:35 AM
Scott Griggs
Navigator

Thanks for for the great info Dave. I like the look of the factory NAV and like the integration through the car with the factory unit compared to the aftermarket and I'd probably just use my phone GPS if the NAV isn't very good. I have an oppurtunity to buy a used unit said to be blemish free and in normal working condition.....my concern was install which you've helped me realize is no big deal, but my concern is that it seems like so many people have gotten rid of these units apparently for something different (something wrong with them, not good quality, few accessory options like MP3/USB/Bluetooth connection, etc?) so I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake. Also, the unit is said to be good but for about 250$ more I can get a new one from GMparts with a factory warranty so not sure if it's worth it to take the chance on a used one. Any input from your experience would be appreciated. Thanks. I'm in northeast Pennsylvania.

Yep that is all there is to it , just double face tape the GPS unit on top of the air duct and then do the vin relearn , if you were local I could do it for you as I have a tech 11

Dave
Old 01-24-2017, 09:16 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I like the integration also and if you take time to learn it , it works great ... email me through this forum with any questions you have , I can walk you through every nut and bolt you will remove, and warn you of the trouble spots ..it's easy ..I also think my buddy has a 2012 unit he might be willing to let go

Dave
Old 01-24-2017, 09:37 AM
Scott Griggs
Navigator

Awesome! Thanks for all the info. I'll let you know if I have any questions with install if I end up going through with it. Also, if your buddy is looking to part with his and it works well and the casing, screen, and ***** are free of blemishes, let me know what he's looking to get for it. This other person says his is in perfect condition and he's getting rid of it bc he switched to a USB unit. He's asking 250 without shipping which sounds comparable to what I've seen on the forum but I'm always hesitant buying used online.

I like the integration also and if you take time to learn it , it works great ... email me through this forum with any questions you have , I can walk you through every nut and bolt you will remove, and warn you of the trouble spots ..it's easy ..I also think my buddy has a 2012 unit he might be willing to let go

Dave
Old 01-24-2017, 09:59 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Email me , just heard from my buddy he has the USB radio USB glove box and the cables to install it all and is willing to sell it all
Old 01-24-2017, 07:18 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Scott , got your email and replied

Let me know if you have any questions and feel free to call me

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To NAV radio switch from 2010 to a 2005

Quick Reply: NAV radio switch from 2010 to a 2005