C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to Upgrade my c6 ls3

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 01:27 AM
ColbeeLord
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking to Upgrade my c6 ls3

Hello All,

I was looking to upgrade my car, mainly for hp/torque gains. I have already done a cat back exhaust system along with a X pipe. I was wondering what else I might do that'd be the best bang for the buck. I have around $2,500 to spend.

Thanks for any input!
Colbee
Old 01-21-2017, 01:49 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

What kind of x-pipe did you install? If you don't have long tube headers already, then that's what you should do next, for a decent hp and even better low-end torque gains. They usually come with a matching x-pipe though, so I don't know whether you can find a set that works with the x-pipe you've installed.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:11 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by CI GS
What kind of x-pipe did you install? If you don't have long tube headers already, then that's what you should do next, for a decent hp and even better low-end torque gains. They usually come with a matching x-pipe though, so I don't know whether you can find a set that works with the x-pipe you've installed.
As stated above headers , a CAI and a Tune will do wonders...the additional 30 to 40 hp improvement is spread out over the rpm range and is sure to bring a smile to your face .
If you have an A6 don't forget a TCM tune , will not add any power but just makes the car fun to drive and way more responsive

Dave
Old 01-21-2017, 10:49 AM
ColbeeLord
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Dcasole
As stated above headers , a CAI and a Tune will do wonders...the additional 30 to 40 hp improvement is spread out over the rpm range and is sure to bring a smile to your face .
If you have an A6 don't forget a TCM tune , will not add any power but just makes the car fun to drive and way more responsive

Dave
Thanks for the response Dave. I have a Corsa x pipe along with Corsa exhaust. What about mid length headers?
Old 01-21-2017, 11:17 AM
Nelson765
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ColbeeLord
Hello All,

I was looking to upgrade my car, mainly for hp/torque gains. I have already done a cat back exhaust system along with a X pipe. I was wondering what else I might do that'd be the best bang for the buck. I have around $2,500 to spend.

Thanks for any input!
Colbee
Here is a good place to start, filled with tons of great information. Good luck.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-for-ls3.html

After all that information and a lot more research, I decided to go with the CAI, headers/X pipes and tune to start and in a few months I'm planning on getting a cam. Each of those are in that budget but separately. There are several ways to stretch the budget by doing some of the mods yourself or by selecting different options, for example; catted vs. off-road are about $300 difference. The CAI varies in price also between $300 to $500. Labor on these installs can be very expensive, so anything that you can do yourself will save you a lot of money. Every mod in this category will need a tune. Tunes prices can vary also from $150 (mail order) to $600 (Dyno).

There is another cool mod that a lot of people are getting and swear by it. A throttle controller mod. The most popular been the Cow Booster and the Vitesse. Tons of info in this forum. These don't add any power but make the throttle more responsive and a lot more fun. Both are priced similarly (around $200). They both have pros and cons so do your own research and assessment.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (01-26-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 11:23 AM
ColbeeLord
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Nelson765
Here is a good place to start, filled with tons of great information. Good luck.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-for-ls3.html

After all that information and a lot more research, I decided to go with the CAI, headers/X pipes and tune to start and in a few months I'm planning on getting a cam. Each of those are in that budget but separately. There are several ways to stretch the budget by doing some of the mods yourself or by selecting different options, for example; catted vs. off-road are about $300 difference. The CAI varies in price also between $300 to $500. Labor on these installs can be very expensive, so anything that you can do yourself will save you a lot of money. Every mod in this category will need a tune. Tunes prices can vary also from $150 (mail order) to $600 (Dyno).

There is another cool mod that a lot of people are getting and swear by it. A throttle controller mod. The most popular been the Cow Booster and the Vitesse. Tons of info in this forum. These don't add any power but make the throttle more responsive and a lot more fun. Both are priced similarly (around $200). They both have pros and cons so do your own research and assessment.

Good luck.

Thank you very much Nelson. I will be sure to review the information you just gave me. Thankfully I can do a CAI install 😅 the tune, not so much.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:27 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the response Dave. I have a Corsa x pipe along with Corsa exhaust. What about mid length headers?
Colbee , its been posted here and in other forums that " Shorty" headers are not worth the money

If you like you could use ZO6 exhaust manifolds , cats and mid pipe and pickup 10 to 15 HP over the stock setup for much cheaper price than using shorty's not to mention you will " PASS" a smog check if you had to as the chances of a visual inspection picking up the difference in a ZO6 system over a stock is minimal ........ I am not saying its legal , I am saying it will work lol lol

I personally went with the LG 1 3/4 Super Pro's along with High Flow Cats and do not regret it for one minute..........

Dave
Old 01-21-2017, 11:31 AM
ColbeeLord
Heel & Toe

Colbee , its been posted here and in other forums that " Shorty" headers are not worth the money

If you like you could use ZO6 exhaust manifolds , cats and mid pipe and pickup 10 to 15 HP over the stock setup for much cheaper price than using shorty's not to mention you will " PASS" a smog check if you had to as the chances of a visual inspection picking up the difference in a ZO6 system over a stock is minimal ........ I am not saying its legal , I am saying it will work lol lol

I personally went with the LG 1 3/4 Super Pro's along with High Flow Cats and do not regret it for one minute..........

Dave
I'll have to be on the look out for those parts then. Maybe I could do those exhaust upgrades with CAI plus tune.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:36 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Thank you very much Nelson. I will be sure to review the information you just gave me. Thankfully I can do a CAI install 😅 the tune, not so much.
Colbee , you can do the tune if you like if all you are doing is a CAI and headers , just pick up a Diablo INTUNE , there are many for sale as folks start to install cams and need a customer tune or sell their cars

Or you could use HP tuners as there are many tuners who can do a mail order for you

I chose the Diablo purely for the ease of use , the low cost of entry and the fact that I could return the car back to stock at any time . I have no experience with HP tuners suite but I am told it is just as easy

All you do is log your car , send the log to Diablo Lew thru email , he will return the tune to you , upload it to your car in 30 seconds and then after 50 miles the fuel trims will settle ... look out .... if you would like him to fine tune it , just send him a few more logs after you put some miles on your car .... I am completely happy with my tune

Now I am sure that you could squeeze a few more HP out of a DYNO Tune but for me the convenience of using the diablo outweighed the few horses I might have left on the table

Dave
Old 01-21-2017, 11:46 AM
ColbeeLord
Heel & Toe

I was under the impression that getting it professionally tuned would cost about the same as buying one of the self tuners. Perk being of the self tuners, I can go back and redo it if I get new mods. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:07 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm a bit late to the thread but I had pretty great results with the parts I added. The car is a 2013 Grand Sport. I started modifying with a Halltech MF103 CAI. Next I had Ceramic coated ARH longtubes, 3" catted X-pipe for Zo6 & Akrapovic Zo6 mufflers & tuning of course. The tuning was essential in my mind because it's wide band tuned on the dyno with various loads & conditions to work best with the exact setup it has. IE, a hand held tuner will probably not correct or optimize for 2.5" exhaust vs 3" in real world feedback on a dyno. (But hey, I don't know much about handheld tuners) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-mufflers.html) It has 421 rear wheel HP & 435 rear wheel TQ.

Last edited by dmoneychris; 01-21-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:19 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I was under the impression that getting it professionally tuned would cost about the same as buying one of the self tuners. Perk being of the self tuners, I can go back and redo it if I get new mods. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.
I was able to pick my tuner up cheap from a guy who sold his car ... $185

Lew charges $150.00 so I am into my tune for $335

HP tuners runs around $449 ( it might be cheaper elsewhere )
I have not seen to many HP tuners for sale used but you either need to learn how to tune using it or the resources on the WEB or pay a tuner like ECS to send you a mail order

Dyno tunes around my way are 700.00 to 800.00

While HP tuners is much more powerful, the Diablo lets me change the parameters I need t change like TCM settings , fan speeds , air to fuel etc ....I can change a lot of parameters just like HP tuners

Dave
Old 01-21-2017, 12:21 PM
ColbeeLord
Heel & Toe

Okay, looking into manifolds and new high flowing cats since I can't get long headers (already have an X pipe).
Old 01-21-2017, 12:49 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would do a cam and tune.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:38 PM
Nelson765
Racer

Colbee , you can do the tune if you like if all you are doing is a CAI and headers , just pick up a Diablo INTUNE , there are many for sale as folks start to install cams and need a customer tune or sell their cars

Or you could use HP tuners as there are many tuners who can do a mail order for you

I chose the Diablo purely for the ease of use , the low cost of entry and the fact that I could return the car back to stock at any time . I have no experience with HP tuners suite but I am told it is just as easy

All you do is log your car , send the log to Diablo Lew thru email , he will return the tune to you , upload it to your car in 30 seconds and then after 50 miles the fuel trims will settle ... look out .... if you would like him to fine tune it , just send him a few more logs after you put some miles on your car .... I am completely happy with my tune

Now I am sure that you could squeeze a few more HP out of a DYNO Tune but for me the convenience of using the diablo outweighed the few horses I might have left on the table

Dave
Thanks for this info. I just learned another option.

Last edited by Nelson765; 01-21-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:41 PM
Nelson765
Racer

I just saw your second post with additional information. Thanks again.

Last edited by Nelson765; 01-21-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:52 PM
Nelson765
Racer

Originally Posted by timd38
I would do a cam and tune.
I agree with this and debated for a while. But decided that I can install the CAI and the headers myself and get a mail order tune, so the cost was reduced to almost half. Headers/pipes and CAI for about $1600 total, installation free (beers for my friends to help and my time). An ECS mail order tune is only $149 and Dough has a great reputation. I'm saving around $1000 or more!

Then I just need to save a little extra (about another $1000) and get the cam done. I can get both mods done for about $3500 but the power increase should be pretty good. People are getting 100+ with these mods.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to Upgrade my c6 ls3

Old 01-21-2017, 02:01 PM
Nelson765
Racer

I'll have to be on the look out for those parts then. Maybe I could do those exhaust upgrades with CAI plus tune.
I looked at that option and it might work for you but the Z06 pipes are 3" all the way, your stock cat backs/mufflers are 2.5 so this complicates the installation and add to the cost since they'll need to be professionally modified. Then the labor cost (if you won't do it yourself) is the same to swap the systems. So you'll go thru all the hassle, save a couple of hundred dollars and got half to hp that good quality headers provide. Don't forget the warranty with new headers vs. used Z06 manifolds.

Like I said earlier. Every mod has pros and cons and might have hidden issues and cost that are not considered into the equation.

Research, research, research . . .
Old 01-21-2017, 08:06 PM
Hallett
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Some great info I'm looking to do the same.

Thanks. 👍
Old 01-21-2017, 08:12 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I bought my Diablo for 180 , Diablo Lew tune cost 150 ,unlimited Re tunes ...

ECS is about the same price on the tune , not sure how much their interface is

A dyno tune in my area is 800.00 and you have to pay for future tunes ... for headers TCM tune and CAI a mail order tune is fine for me ...

If you do headers...most come with a new x pipe so don't let that stop you

Dave

Quick Reply: Looking to Upgrade my c6 ls3