C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering clunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 07:33 PM
1hander
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default steering clunk

05 base ... i did reading and saw alot of info stating that the tires will skip during slow high steering angles... i noticed in reverse at full lock to either side i get the skipping clunking... so after reading i guess thats normal..

but i chehcked it with the wheels straight and the car lifted...engine off and on... when i turn the steering wheel gently there is no slop in it at all or noise... but if i have my son turn the the wheel side to side quickly while i push on the front of the tire (either one) the clunking is loud and you can feel it and hear it in the cab with the engine running...

i looked a the steering rack while 2 others did the above procedure...the steering rack itself has no noticable movement.

it sounds like its coming from inside the rack... also i could here the sound and with pressure being applied to front of the wheel ...the dclunking continued but i noticed that the movement of the tire/tierod end was less... like there is some slop internally in the rack

i wonder if its just a characteristic of speed sensitive steering in the rack... even though i have never seen anything like in any other car ive pwned with speed sensitive steering

Last edited by 1hander; 01-21-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:53 PM
1hander
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

after more investigation...im gonna say its the yoke in the steering rack..ill take it out to see about wear...maybe just tightening the tension a bit will help...
Old 04-03-2022, 08:55 PM
fullback
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 24 Posts

I felt the same issue while turning in a parking lot situation at low speed. I hade a Lexus HTC IS250 awsome handling , same pumping and chucking while turning slowly in a tight situation as one said small price to pay for fantastic Handling

Get notified of new replies

To steering clunk

Quick Reply: steering clunk