C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the trail of the problem....leaky F55's

Old 01-23-2017, 09:36 AM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 53 Posts

Default On the trail of the problem....leaky F55's

So when I bought my 2012 GS CE last May I have experienced wheel hop, the rears tires were the stock run flats so I contributed the hop to that. I just put on a new set of tires and went to a 355 rear so a bit more meat. Car still has pretty bad hop. I dont really launch the car hard all...pretty much never. the hop I experience is from just rolling in first and standing on it.

I have posted about this in other threads. I was thinking maybe the engine mounts or trans mounts worn as other have mentioned. Well I had the car in the air this weekend to start my header install. While up I was able to inspect the engine and trans mounts and they look good. However I did see that both rear shocks are leaking. When I saw this I am now thinking this could be the cause of the hop. Now I am also thinking why are they leaking with only 30k miles on the car. For that I am pointing my finger at the fact that the previous owner cranked the bolts and lowered the car......dont know if my thinking is correct but this is the only thing I can find that I know is wrong and or a problem.

So I have a friend that works for the dealer and is getting me prices on the shocks because as we all know they are outrageously priced! I also want to put the car back to stock height but dont know what that is. Can anyone give me a measurement of how much of the bolt should be showing or thread count? At the moment it looks to be about 10 or so threads showing maybe 1"+ of bolt showing including the head of the bolt.

Am I on the right track do any of you think this could contribute to the hop issue?

Has anyone else experienced hop with a leaky F55?

Do you think the lowering of the car had something to do with premature shock failure?

Thanks for any comments....this hopping is a major pain in the a$$! I dont really drag race the car...have 2 other cars for that but I would like to enjoy WOT blast's without this issue.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:15 AM
RailroadsilverC6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No issue with wheel hop but I do have f55 shock leaking. 80000 miles so its time to relpace them all. But not with the mag ride shocks probably going with the Johnny o connel package . 650 a shock is a bit much for my blood.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:50 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The stock ride height is measured from the ground to the wheelwell lip at the centerline of the wheel. It'll be noted in the service manual. I have the specs for a base, but I doubt they are the same for a GS.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:39 PM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
The stock ride height is measured from the ground to the wheelwell lip at the centerline of the wheel. It'll be noted in the service manual. I have the specs for a base, but I doubt they are the same for a GS.
I am running a little bigger tire, I would have to look at the overall height of the tire to double check the ride height, thats why I was looking at the bolt. The tire change I am sure is close enough to call it but wanted to check with others first.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:40 PM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RailroadsilverC6
No issue with wheel hop but I do have f55 shock leaking. 80000 miles so its time to relpace them all. But not with the mag ride shocks probably going with the Johnny o connel package . 650 a shock is a bit much for my blood.

I can get the shocks for just under $500 a piece from the dealer....still outrageous IMO.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:36 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Take that gimmick off and install some LG coilovers. You are welcome.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:57 AM
2012widebody
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Bingo!! This man has it figured out. Do not replace a blown out mag ride shock with another. That dude will damn near fail out of the box. Put LG coilovers on your car. Lg shocks don't even care if you run over a 6x6 piece of wood.

Last edited by 2012widebody; 01-24-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:28 PM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Thats what I hear, however I do not have any interest in spending $2,500 in suspension for this particular car. I have been thinking more about a standard shock and the cancellation units. I see a lot of people talking about the O'Connell shocks. I figure I could take off the Mag ride stuff and put it in a box the fronts are still good so If I ever sold the car I can have th option of putting it back to stock.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:08 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Its pretty rare for the mag shocks to really leak. Its normal for them to sweat and be a bit damp on the outside, which some take for leaking. Make sure you aren't changing them for no reason.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:24 AM
cheetah45
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Old 01-25-2017, 02:17 PM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Its pretty rare for the mag shocks to really leak. Its normal for them to sweat and be a bit damp on the outside, which some take for leaking. Make sure you aren't changing them for no reason.
Thank you for the tip, I will clean them off and drive and check after some miles. I did wipe it with my finger and it felt oily. If it was sweating I would assume you mean it would be water vapor correct? If that's the case it should not remain wet as it would/should dry? Either way I'll clean them up drive and recheck.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:21 PM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

this is the driver side, the pass rear is not wet looking but has a lot of dust build up. I assume it was/is leaking and attracted brake dust etc.
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2017, 05:39 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

That picture looks pretty normal to me. I meant they get a light coat on them that feels oily. And it will attract and hod dirt or dust.

I would wipe them clean and check again in maybe a month. If no actual drips or heavy oil I would call them good.
The following users liked this post:
Amelio (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 08:19 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
That picture looks pretty normal to me. I meant they get a light coat on them that feels oily. And it will attract and hod dirt or dust.

I would wipe them clean and check again in maybe a month. If no actual drips or heavy oil I would call them good.

There is a GM TSB that addresses this, and they also mention the Mag shocks in the first paragraph.

That being said....I still swapped all of mine out on my '13 ZR1 before the 3/36 warranty expired.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
TSB-leaking shocks.pdf (278.6 KB, 342 views)
Old 01-26-2017, 03:09 PM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jft69z

There is a GM TSB that addresses this, and they also mention the Mag shocks in the first paragraph.

That being said....I still swapped all of mine out on my '13 ZR1 before the 3/36 warranty expired.
Thanks guys! I did not want to spend the money on this right now...been trying to prep my '69 Vette for the race season and didnt want money going to shocks!

I am going to put the car back to factory ride height and see if that helps eliminate the wheel hop. Ill clean these up and check in a few months.

Get notified of new replies

To On the trail of the problem....leaky F55's

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: On the trail of the problem....leaky F55's