C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Belt/pulley chirp and fuel gauge issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 03:09 PM
gergwheel
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Belt/pulley chirp and fuel gauge issues

Hey guys, I'm new here . Have a 2009 M6 base vette with 84k miles. I have 2 main issues right now.

Issue 1: Fuel gauge reads 0, i know the sending units are known to be bad, just curious if they still have issues with the new units? is there a better aftermarket solution? does the Chevron fuel cleaner actually work?

Issue 2: Chirp/squeal coming from the drive pulleys/belt. Any common issues that i should investigate first? Any good troubleshooting tips for me on figuring out what pulley is making the sound?
Old 01-23-2017, 03:45 PM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Issue 2

Old 01-23-2017, 08:30 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

The Chevron Techron Cleaner "may" work.

Problem is, the contacts on the sender wear down over time and use and with 84k on your car that may be the problem, not the buildup of contaminants that the cleaner would remove. But the cleaner is inexpensive, worth a try. Go through at least 2 bottles in 2 tanks of gas, maybe even 3. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:45 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by gergwheel
Hey guys, I'm new here . Have a 2009 M6 base vette with 84k miles. I have 2 main issues right now.

Issue 1: Fuel gauge reads 0, i know the sending units are known to be bad, just curious if they still have issues with the new units? is there a better aftermarket solution? does the Chevron fuel cleaner actually work?

Issue 2: Chirp/squeal coming from the drive pulleys/belt. Any common issues that i should investigate first? Any good troubleshooting tips for me on figuring out what pulley is making the sound?
Welcome!

1: You can try Techron, it works for some and others it does not. It is well worth a shot.
Its not the sending unit that has the issue its the fuel we are given to use that has the issue.
You should run a can of Techron through your tank every few months to help clean out any build up on the sendors.
If the Techron does not fix it its time to pull the tank and R&R the sendor.

2: Bad harmonic balancer as posted above or water pump leak.

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
Old 01-24-2017, 08:35 AM
gergwheel
8th Gear

Originally Posted by HK770
Man i really hope this isn't my issue!!

Originally Posted by RicK T
The Chevron Techron Cleaner "may" work.

Problem is, the contacts on the sender wear down over time and use and with 84k on your car that may be the problem, not the buildup of contaminants that the cleaner would remove. But the cleaner is inexpensive, worth a try. Go through at least 2 bottles in 2 tanks of gas, maybe even 3. Good luck.
Went to the parts store last night and got some Techron, will try that in my next tank. is there any special process i need to follow to get the techron into the passenger tank, since i will be adding it to the drivers side tank?

Last edited by gergwheel; 01-24-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:44 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

is there any special process i need to follow to get the techron into the passenger tank, since i will be adding it to the drivers side tank?
No. Just add the Techron (hope you got the fuel system cleaner and not just the injector cleaner) to an empty tank. That way when you fill up it will fully mix with the incoming gas and flow to the passenger tank via the transfer tube.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:23 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Try the Techron, nothing to lose.

Try to see if the chirp is from the idler pulley. The bearing inside could be getting worn. Take a look at the HB when idling. It should not have a significant wobble.
Also, check your drive belts and pulleys to see if they are moist. Could have a Water pump seal leak, and it falls on top of the pulleys and belts.

Good Luck
Old 01-25-2017, 07:55 PM
gergwheel
8th Gear

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Try the Techron, nothing to lose.

Try to see if the chirp is from the idler pulley. The bearing inside could be getting worn. Take a look at the HB when idling. It should not have a significant wobble.
Also, check your drive belts and pulleys to see if they are moist. Could have a Water pump seal leak, and it falls on top of the pulleys and belts.

Good Luck

I took a video. It's got a smidgen of wobble. Also if I spray the belt with water it totally goes away.

Last edited by gergwheel; 01-26-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:02 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

http://youtu.be/crzz1lEI9Jw
I took a video. It's got a smidgen of wobble. Also if I spray the belt with water it totally goes away.
The video does not suggest or seem like it's a harmonic balancer issue. Sure, it has a slight wobble, but it doesn't appear as if the outer is separating or moving away from the inner portion as per the attached pics. These balancers are growing outward. They can also grow inward as well.
You can look at yours more closely when it is stopped, to assure that the both surfaces are equal, and not growing out or in.

The noise sounds like a bearing to me, either from one of the idler pulleys or one of the 2 tensioners, or possibly from the alternator.

Here is a diagnostic article that may help in troubleshooting.
http://www.daycoproducts.com/diagnos...and-belt-noise

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 01-25-2017 at 10:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2009 Belt/pulley chirp and fuel gauge issues

Quick Reply: 2009 Belt/pulley chirp and fuel gauge issues