C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Erratic steering wheel behavior 2 weeks after steering rack replacement

Old 12-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Anger336
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Erratic steering wheel behavior 2 weeks after steering rack replacement

Everything has been fine since I replaced my steering rack with an Ecklerscorvette remanufactured rack, until today. I知 driving today and all of a sudden my steering wheel starts spinning to either direction Really fast, randomly at the same time it値l be hard as **** to turn in another direction. Driving it home was terrifying! When I知 trying to go in a straight line, it痴 jerking either to the left or right, I値l have to constantly correct it, looking like a maniac on the road.. When I知 idling in park, if I touch the steering wheel and slightly turn it either left or right it値l swing the wheel to lock FAST. What could this be!?!? Thanks in advance, I just really need some advice, I値l be taking it to the mechanic that installed the rack in the morning..
Old 12-10-2017, 09:53 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

Remanufactured racks come with a bleed procedure for bleeding the air after replacement. I would make sure that procedure was done properly from the get go. Also, the key word is "remanufactured". There's a chance it's not "remanufactured" up to spec. Be safe and careful.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:01 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

IMHO a remanufactured rack is not worth you car nor your life, you値l never have confidence in it again. For peace of mind sake buy a new one.
Are you married, have kids... do you get the point?
Old 12-10-2017, 11:28 PM
Anger336
Advanced

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
IMHO a remanufactured rack is not worth you car nor your life, you値l never have confidence in it again. For peace of mind sake buy a new one.
Are you married, have kids... do you get the point?
I really wish I could致e gotten a new rack but GM doesn稚 produce them anymore so everything available online are all remanufacured.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:17 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I've heard of other parts not being built/made by and for GM in the recent past, but are you sure about reman racks only? I'd check with Forum vendor, Cultrag (Gene Culley) just to be certain.

While I kind of hope it's just improper bleeding, that doesn't give me any confidence in the mechanic who did the installation. That's like leaving bolts loose on a wheel (I've had that happen) and going highway speeds to almost-accidentally find out!

If it were me and it is the unit itself, I'd go slowly in getting a new, reman unit. I'd do some exploration, calling, talking with all kinds of people on what is the best source for a reman unit. They may not all be the same in remanufacturing. There may be one or more companies that do a better job than the rest of the crowd.

Sent you a PM.

Last edited by AORoads; 12-11-2017 at 08:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gene Culley (12-19-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 08:51 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Good luck.

At idle, touch steering wheel slightly to initiate turn, either right or left, and wheel automatically takes over and goes with force to either right or left full turn lock position.

I don't know the reason.
Almost seems electrical....something is giving power to turn the wheels.
Correct bleed procedure should be done first to rule that out.
Then the basics, verify correct oil used, accessory belt correct tension, no loose bolts.
Only other thought is debris in the power steering fluid lines or even the rack plugging a line and adding pressure to complete the turn of the wheel.

Then re-man rack could very well be the issue.

Please let us know the end result.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:37 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Contact Cultrag for advise prior to any more activity. Re the mech who did this install, I would not use him until it were proven the unit is bad.
The following users liked this post:
Gene Culley (12-19-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 11:45 AM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 676 Posts

How many miles before the problem showed up? Seems like a bleed issue would show up in a few miles in-town assuming the car is going around corners or doing parking lot maneuvers. and not just straight highway miles.

If the car is sitting still and then a slight steering wheel input causes it go crazy, it might be a sensor or connection issue.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:22 PM
Anger336
Advanced

Thanks You all for your input! 2 weeks later and it failed... -.- I went back to mechanic and he痴 tried rebleeding the system and he narrowed it down to it just being a bad rack. Sooooo I called Eckler痴 and spoke to a supervisor and I知 having another rack overnighted, they won稚 cover the extra $500 labor fee to redo the job but at least I don稚 have to send in the rack and wait for them to receive it to send a new rack (had to haggle to get them to agree) but man it痴 been a headache.. my vette loves my $$$
Old 12-12-2017, 08:13 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Anger336
Thanks You all for your input! 2 weeks later and it failed... -.- I went back to mechanic and he痴 tried rebleeding the system and he narrowed it down to it just being a bad rack. Sooooo I called Eckler痴 and spoke to a supervisor and I知 having another rack overnighted, they won稚 cover the extra $500 labor fee to redo the job but at least I don稚 have to send in the rack and wait for them to receive it to send a new rack (had to haggle to get them to agree) but man it痴 been a headache.. my vette loves my $$$
$$$ = Peace of mind
Old 12-12-2017, 10:18 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

The one nice thing about having a GM dealer install a rebuilt rake (all they can get as well), is that both it and the labor are covered in warranty for 1 year.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:24 PM
Anger336
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dano523
The one nice thing about having a GM dealer install a rebuilt rake (all they can get as well), is that both it and the labor are covered in warranty for 1 year.
Very true, wish I would致e considered before all of this lol

Get notified of new replies

To Erratic steering wheel behavior 2 weeks after steering rack replacement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Erratic steering wheel behavior 2 weeks after steering rack replacement