C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing CEL, engine stalled, dealer says to replace engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 07:43 PM
Waves
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Flashing CEL, engine stalled, dealer says to replace engine

I barely drove my Vette for the past year. I changed the spark plugs and wires a year ago. 2 months ago I got a new battery. Engine is stock, no mods whatsoever, 74k miles, mostly highway, 6-8 track days some 4-5 years ago, automatic tranny. Saturday evening I started driving on the highway and heard some squeaks. 10 minutes later I got a flashing CEL. Drove about 4 more miles towards the nearest Chevy dealership but didn't make it there as engine stalled. Towed it to the dealership but service dept was closed. Got a call from the service advisor today telling me that they think that camshaft is wiped and they recommend to get a new engine for only $12k. Replacing the camshaft would be $7.5k. I asked how did they determine it was the camshaft and was told that it misfires and backfires and the mechanic has 25 years of experience. I insisted to get any error codes, if they eliminated other possibilities and SA said he will call back later with details. 30 minutes later he calls back and says that they got P0300 cylinder misfires (he says on cyl 1,2,3). P0106 and says the lifters are squeaking and these are the reasons why they believe that the camshaft is wiped. Of course, they won't know for sure until they open it up.

I don't believe the camshaft is wiped until I see metal shavings in the oil pan, but I'm pretty sure they didn't bother to check that. I don't know of any good independent shop in northern VA to get a second opinion and I had bad experience with another dealership in the area in the past.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Last edited by Waves; 02-20-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:00 PM
vettpapaw
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

If it was my car the first thing I would do is go get it from the dealership....
Old 02-20-2017, 11:36 PM
Nelson765
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree with Vettepapaw. I would start by instructing the dealer not to do anything else to the car. There have to be a few good shops in your area. I recommend to search for a good/reputable shop. Use Google, contact local Corvette Clubs, ask friends with Vettes, start a thread asking for shops recommendations, yellow pages, whatever it takes, there has to be at least one, all you need is to find it and you'll be happy and will save a lot of money.

That dealer already smells fishy, you already noticed the red flags. Trust your instinct, you know the answer. Don't get caught in a worst situation. Swaping a cam doesn't cost that much and even if the engine is blown, you'll be better off dealing with a specialized shop. Just because you don't know one, doesn't mean that there aren't any. I never had a need for a good shop until recently. I needed a new clutch for a built/supercharged C6. Dealers were not an option and finding a reputable/honest shop took some time and effort but once I found it, it was a very good experience and I save a LOT of money.

I wish you the best and keep us posted.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:51 PM
emoFTW
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

7.5k to change cam? Parts and labor included? Holy Vette tax! I'm in the wrong business!
Old 02-21-2017, 01:31 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Needs a leak down test, and compression check.

If it is cam or valvetrain, heads need to come off to fully diagnose.

What was oil pressure before it stopped running ?
Old 02-21-2017, 06:29 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

I agree that the first thing to do is to get your car back from the dealer. $7,500 should buy you an engine swap, not a cam swap.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:57 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

If they charge $7500 for a cam swap then an engine swap is gonna cost you your first child.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:37 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Waves
I barely drove my Vette for the past year. I changed the spark plugs and wires a year ago. 2 months ago I got a new battery. Engine is stock, no mods whatsoever, 74k miles, mostly highway, 6-8 track days some 4-5 years ago, automatic tranny. Saturday evening I started driving on the highway and heard some squeaks. 10 minutes later I got a flashing CEL. Drove about 4 more miles towards the nearest Chevy dealership but didn't make it there as engine stalled. Towed it to the dealership but service dept was closed. Got a call from the service advisor today telling me that they think that camshaft is wiped and they recommend to get a new engine for only $12k. Replacing the camshaft would be $7.5k. I asked how did they determine it was the camshaft and was told that it misfires and backfires and the mechanic has 25 years of experience. I insisted to get any error codes, if they eliminated other possibilities and SA said he will call back later with details. 30 minutes later he calls back and says that they got P0300 cylinder misfires (he says on cyl 1,2,3). P0106 and says the lifters are squeaking and these are the reasons why they believe that the camshaft is wiped. Of course, they won't know for sure until they open it up.

I don't believe the camshaft is wiped until I see metal shavings in the oil pan, but I'm pretty sure they didn't bother to check that. I don't know of any good independent shop in northern VA to get a second opinion and I had bad experience with another dealership in the area in the past.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?
not with that shop.you can buy a brand new LS3 engine from GM for around $4,700. plus core charge.your old engine is the core charge
Old 02-24-2017, 09:18 AM
robertmc1958@gmail.c
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can simply pull the rocker covers and check cam lift at the rockers.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:31 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

there are a couple other places. open up email in your acct. while I might doubt it's all-engine, I doubt the solution will be inexpensive.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:11 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Your dealership is a bloodsucker. Gene Culley will sell you an LS3 crate engine for only $5.2K.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Waves
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Turns out it was a broken valve spring

Took the car to Tony's Corvette Shop in Gaithersburg, MD. Turns out it was a broken valve spring, no other damage whatsoever. $750 for diagnostic, parts, labor and oil change. And since I had it there, I also had him replace the harmonic balancer, put new belts, tranny fluid and rear diff fluid.
Lesson learned. Never ever take the car to the dealer once warranty runs out. Really happy with the work Tony's done to the car, I'll always take the car to his shop from now on.

Thank you all for the replies!

Last edited by Waves; 03-01-2017 at 12:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Waves:
89talon (03-02-2017), vettpapaw (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 01:22 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Glad to hear you got it repaired and serviced with both your arms and legs attached
Old 03-01-2017, 01:22 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Took the car to Tony's Corvette Shop in Gaithersburg, MD. Turns out it was a broken valve spring, no other damage whatsoever. $750 for diagnostic, parts, labor and oil change. And since I had it there, I also had him replace the harmonic balancer, put new belts, tranny fluid and rear diff fluid.
Lesson learned. Never ever take the car to the dealer once warranty runs out. Really happy with the work Tony's done to the car, I'll always take the car to his shop from now on.

That's awesome. Well, the ending was... the fact that the dealer would have basically thrown away an almost perfectly good engine and raped you for a new one.. well, that should almost be illegal
Old 03-01-2017, 06:21 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by schpenxel
That's awesome. Well, the ending was... the fact that the dealer would have basically thrown away an almost perfectly good engine and raped you for a new one.. well, that should almost be illegal
Not necessarily - the dealer might have simply repaired the old engine and said that he replaced it. If you're going to be dishonest, might as well go all the way.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:01 PM
Detroit1
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Tony's Vette Shop Excellent

I lived 2 miles from Tony's and had my vette serviced there. Excellent service and honest business. He has some excellent techs and also does great restorations.

Sure wish he was down here in Florida.

Glad to hear you were able to get it fixed at a reasonable price.

JB
Old 03-01-2017, 07:11 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by John Harry
Not necessarily - the dealer might have simply repaired the old engine and said that he replaced it. If you're going to be dishonest, might as well go all the way.
That thought did cross my mind..

Get notified of new replies

To Flashing CEL, engine stalled, dealer says to replace engine

Old 03-01-2017, 08:59 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Another great shop is owned by Rick Kim in Frederick Md.. He did a full clutch install for me last year for less then the dealership wanted. He sends pictures of the install as it progresses and returns all used parts if you want them..He was done in one day...Highly recommended...WW

RKT Performance (http://rktperformance.com) in Frederick, MD
Old 03-02-2017, 08:52 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Swell!
Old 03-03-2017, 07:23 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

Very Glad to hear that your car is running well, and your bank account wasn't assaulted.

I think ANY of the people on this forum that turn our own wrenches would have pulled valve covers and checked lift at valves before embarking on a cam swap due to a possible "wiped cam". If the dealership had requested 1 hour of labor to do that kind of diagnostic - I think most of us - if we found ourselves in your situation - would have said to go ahead and spend $100 or so to verify the need for a pretty major job.

The fact that the stealership didn't even attempt to do a decent diagnosis is unfortunately getting to be all too common. I realize that there are times that we have no choice to go to a stealership for warranty repairs etc. but it's stories like this that keep me going to independent shops (where at least the owner has a desire to stay in business) whenever I run into a job I can't handle myself.

Quick Reply: Flashing CEL, engine stalled, dealer says to replace engine