C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Observations after Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 07:46 PM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Observations after Header Install

This weekend I had Kooks 1 7/8 long-tube headers, catted x-pipe, and Elite Engineering insulated tunnel plate installed on my 2012 Grand Sport with auto. These are my initial observations after about 150 miles of driving.

1. More power - I have a canned SCT tune installed. I selected the long-tube headers setting. Although not a dead on tune, the car runs good and throws no codes. I'll get a dyno tune later, but don't feel an urgent need. The car runs a lot more like a Corvette should!

2. Less console heat - I had the headers and x-pipe ceramic coated. Combined with the insulated tunnel plate, there's a noticeable decrease in how hot the console gets. Admittedly, I haven't driven in really hot weather yet.

3. The car feels lighter - I'm not just talking about at speed. Even at low speed when I'm not using the extra power, the car feels lighter. I think it's because of the modest decrease in weight from the exhaust (maybe 20 pounds) and the modest stiffening caused by the thicker tunnel plate.

4. The car isn't very much louder most of the time - My car has NPP. At idle and at highway/freeway speeds it's not much louder at all, if any. It barks when the dual-mode is opened up, though. It also has a deeper idle note, a lot like a C6 Z06. In my opinion, this is just about an ideal exhaust setup.

5. The installation was very straightforward - The fit and finish of everything was top-shelf. There was no drama to the installation at all.

Needless to say, I'm pleased with the results.

Last edited by A Marsh; 02-21-2017 at 08:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jpick73 (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 08:25 PM
jpick73
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you are happy with your new setup! Is the exhaust setup the only mods done, or did you already have something else done? I ask because I am thinking of getting headers, catted x-pipe, and already have the NPP exhaust also, on my 2013 auto. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:07 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

NO! you need to get a tune now! more air in, more air out = tune. you are going to hurt it.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:23 AM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It has a tune. It's the imbedded tune from SCT. They must have put some development into it - it throws no codes, doesn't ping, etc. Economy seems to be just about the same, maybe a tad better. All engine-related temps are good.

I'll be getting a dyno tune soon to improve the transmission function as much as anything else.

My only other mod is a Z06 CAI with K&N filter.

Last edited by A Marsh; 02-22-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:29 AM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,091 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
NO! you need to get a tune now! more air in, more air out = tune. you are going to hurt it.
agree, curious to what his AFR is. you are prob running lean
Old 02-22-2017, 09:06 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 904 Posts

He has 150 miles on the headers, fuel trims are already pretty settled in. If he hasn't thrown P0171/P0174 then he is NOT running lean in closed loop. And he is not going to hurt it. AFR is running around Stoich in CL. PE might be tweaked, but he is not going to hurt it.
A Marsh (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 09:58 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Man I cant wait, my Kooks have been sitting here waiting, and waiting, for around a month I went 1 3/4" cause its staying stock.
Up in the air whether to dyno or Diablew
Glad to her the install went smoooothly
Good luck
NSF
Old 02-23-2017, 06:44 AM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,091 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
He has 150 miles on the headers, fuel trims are already pretty settled in. If he hasn't thrown P0171/P0174 then he is NOT running lean in closed loop. And he is not going to hurt it. AFR is running around Stoich in CL. PE might be tweaked, but he is not going to hurt it.
not a risk i would be willing to take, but to each their own
Old 02-23-2017, 08:47 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Travlee
not a risk i would be willing to take, but to each their own
If you don't understand how engine management works in an E38 ECM then you cannot possibly analyze the risk with any degree of accuracy.

Headers, by themselves don't increase airflow. How can they if nothing is changed coming in through the air intake and past the MAF. They might reduce back pressure which could impact cylinder air mass and load and that might create a tune performance opportunity in timing and PE fueling. OP does have a CAI too, so lets say airflow has increased. The MAF is calibrated and will measure a higher frequency of air flow commensurate with the new volume coming in which the ECM relies on to fuel. Nothing has changed with fuel injectors or injector calibration. With headers, the bigger challenge is the fact that the front O2 sensors end up farther downstream from the actual combustion event making fuel trims more challenging to interpret.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 02-23-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Not So Fast (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 08:51 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,631 Posts

I drove mine for 100 miles to let the fuel trims settle , then did a steady state log at 2400 RPMS ... made the adjustments and then did a WIDE Open Throttle log .....
all is good, the ECM fuel trims will adjust upwards of 25%

Dave
Old 02-24-2017, 03:43 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

Sweet. This is one of the few things I want to do to my 2010 NPP GS... Sounds like you're loving it.

I suspect it feels "lighter" because its making more power everywhere.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:23 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Personally, I would rethink the K&N air filtter. The stock ZR-1 air filter flows more than enough air for your motor with the added benefit of better filtration.

Glad to hear the install went so well, I'm planning the same upgrades, including the tunnel plate.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:28 AM
0MarylandSpeed
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Looking good Alan!
Old 02-25-2017, 11:34 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Personally, I would rethink the K&N air filtter. The stock ZR-1 air filter flows more than enough air for your motor with the added benefit of better filtration.

Glad to hear the install went so well, I'm planning the same upgrades, including the tunnel plate.
on the K&N
Old 03-04-2017, 07:34 AM
BigBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
Originally Posted by Travlee
agree, curious to what his AFR is. you are prob running lean
Originally Posted by A Marsh
It has a tune. It's the imbedded tune from SCT. They must have put some development into it - it throws no codes, doesn't ping, etc. Economy seems to be just about the same, maybe a tad better. All engine-related temps are good.

I'll be getting a dyno tune soon to improve the transmission function as much as anything else.

My only other mod is a Z06 CAI with K&N filter.
It's got a tune.

Get notified of new replies

To Observations after Header Install

Quick Reply: Observations after Header Install