C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigating the Factory Service Manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 08:16 PM
disney7
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Navigating the Factory Service Manual

Is there a trick to finding things in the FSM?

I'm used to using the index in these manuals, but I have the Helm manual for my 2011 Z06 and I am having a hard time finding anything.

For example, lets say I want to know how to put the head back on a LS7. I look in the index and the closest thing is "Cylinder Head Replacement - Left and Right". Great, right?

So, I go to that page (nothing else similar is listed), which is page 9-694 for the left head. Well, thats the procedure for an LS9. So I resort to flipping through the manual and finally find the LS7 version of removal on page 9-823 and installation on page 9-986, none of which is in the index anywhere.

I've repeated this frustrating process many times for various procedures, some of which differ drastically between the different engine displacements.

There is a table of contents at the beginning of each section that has a little more information than the index, but it isn't really alphabetical. It kind of seems like it is and then it will start back over in the middle.

I think I'm surely missing some method of organization here somewhere....
Old 02-23-2017, 08:49 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

I can agree, the index can come up short.

For example, I recall trying to find fuses and it was a 1/2 hour hunt.

Best advise.....read (or flip every page) the entire manual to give you a heads up or some familiarity for searching and perhaps make notes on the back cover.

None the less...the service manual is a great asset and "hats off" that you own one.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:56 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

the helm factory manuals are the best out there,but look in the back index to find anything,and GM doesn't label anything with words we use,just sit down [while watching tv] and thumb thru each volume and in a few weeks you will be able to find anything,ive been using them for 25+ years and once you know GM's thinking ,its a beeze to find things,and the wiring diagrams are killer [just look at the location pics/drawings and you see how things run/fit

Get notified of new replies

To Navigating the Factory Service Manual

Quick Reply: Navigating the Factory Service Manual