C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best tuning options

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 09:47 AM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Best tuning options

Hi,
Just getting started in the C6 world with a 2010 GS. I’m planning to make some upgrades for drag racing while keeping the street manners. What is my best option for programming as I make mods? Should I buy a tuner (suggestions pls.) or use a shop? I live in the DFW Texas area. Do you have recommendations for a local tuner?
Thanks!
Old 02-25-2017, 10:01 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

LG has a great deal of experience! Give Anthony a call.

Last edited by timd38; 02-25-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:50 AM
jpick73
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Diablosport InTune would be my suggestion. The preinstalled tunes will be good enough while you are stock, and as you start upgrading parts, contact Lewis (DiabLew) and have him manage your email custom tunes. I have had AWESOME results working with him.
The following users liked this post:
Clint's C3 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 01:39 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Thanks very much! A self tuner with expertise on tap. That does sound like a great plan!
Old 02-25-2017, 05:27 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint's C3
Thanks very much! A self tuner with expertise on tap. That does sound like a great plan!
Lew is great , for a stock or a header CAI motor its the quick and easy way .... plus the trans tune Lew supplies will make you smile
jpick73 (02-26-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 07:38 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

It really depends on what mods you have planned. If you're doing very simple stuff like headers, then these hand held/mail order tune options probably are OK. If you're going anything past that like a cam, or FI then you will be better off going to a tuner using a full access tuning SW.

I started out using Diablosport, it was OK with not many mods. Once I FIed I moved to HPT. That was necessary. DS is like a kiddie tune compared to HPT and I don't believe you're going to get any serious HP gaining mod dialed in on a mail order tune.

I suggest relating it to the HP gains. A mod that gets you 20/30 hp is one path; a mod(s) that gets you 200 hp is a different path.
Clint's C3 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 10:41 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I initially got a local tuner after a few weeks of stock passes that quickly became boring. Several months later I opted for a tune from a traveling tuner, but dumped it when there was no ongoing support. Then when going back to the local tuner who bumped up the tune for new mods, I recognized I wanted more control for the future. I bought HP Tuners, which gave me the ability to tweak the tune in accordance with the scans and timeslip results.

Once you start with mods, my suggestion is to get a professional tune first and then buy your own equipment to analyze and adjust as needed. We've come a long way from the dwell meter, timing light, and vacuum gauge days and there is a LOT to learn.
Clint's C3 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 10:52 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Those are great options, but there is NOTHING like a good tuner and a dyno every car is slightly different. my guy took it out on the street for 20 mins and then came back for three good pulls on the dyno, he keeps the file, it is not "locked" and from now on if I make a change I can bring it back at a very reduced rate for a "retune"
Clint's C3 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 03:28 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Thanks. A guy at the track gave me info on a good local tuner. He said the same thing; Make your mods, get it tuned professionally and then use HP tuner to make adjustments.
I am a throwback to the time when dual point distributors were cool. I hope my brain doesn’t explode trying to learn this computer stuff!
Old 02-27-2017, 05:48 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Clint's C3
Thanks. A guy at the track gave me info on a good local tuner. He said the same thing; Make your mods, get it tuned professionally and then use HP tuner to make adjustments.
I am a throwback to the time when dual point distributors were cool. I hope my brain doesn’t explode trying to learn this computer stuff!
I am very sorry to inform you....it WILL explode.

That said, I think you're on a better track side stepping the kiddie tuner option, go to a pro first, and make sure he's using HPT as 8 of 10 tuners use it, then you can hand grenade your brain at your leisure.

I went on an HPT binge for months, sometimes spending all day on it. I'm at the point where I don't have to ask questions anymore.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 02-27-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:19 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

I have waffled about this type of tune for way too long, first this way then that way
After a lot of conversations back and forth with some very learned members about what I should do I have come to the conclusion that after my headers are installed I will go with a dyno-tuner, I feel if you want the most for your money (and who doesn't) this would be the way to go.
I hope I'm right
NSF
Old 02-28-2017, 07:23 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
I have waffled about this type of tune for way too long, first this way then that way
After a lot of conversations back and forth with some very learned members about what I should do I have come to the conclusion that after my headers are installed I will go with a dyno-tuner, I feel if you want the most for your money (and who doesn't) this would be the way to go.
I hope I'm right
NSF
You're on the right track Bobby. As we've discussed (a few times LOL), sounds like you've found a very good tuner your way.

You also have the very best attitude - I feel if you want the most for your money (and who doesn't) this would be the way to go. -

Doing a mod like headers will yield a performance gain when dialed in, and no sense in doing it if you don't take full advantage.
Not So Fast (02-28-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Best tuning options

Quick Reply: Best tuning options