Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How Do You Change The Oil On The New Z06

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 11:52 AM
marcar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How Do You Change The Oil On The New Z06

OK, I've changed the oil in my cars, trucks, SUV's for years but never when there has been a dry sump oil system in place. I plan on doing the oil changes on my new Z06 when I get it and ask, how to do it. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks, Mike
Old 02-24-2005, 01:15 PM
FoolCrzy
Melting Slicks

1. Drain oil
2. R&R Filter
3. Fill with new oil.

sorry, I had to...

Last edited by FoolCrzy; 02-24-2005 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:14 PM
teabagger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Changes

I have a dry-sump Brodix aluminum block stroker SB Chevy in my Lister, and it holds a LOT of oil, in fact we speak in gallons not pints. Like mine runs about a gallon and a half..some Porsches use around 3 gallons.....So you better have a big catch tank....

JM
Old 02-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't seen the exact setup, but I'll offer my guess. All the oil sits in the oil reservior, so there should be a drain plug on the reservior to drain the oil from. From the pictures, it looks like the reservior sits high up in the engine bay, so there may be some fitting to attach a small hose so you can drain the oil down below the car to a catch pan under the car and not have oil get all over. You then simply refill the reservior with fresh oil. Shouldn't be too difficult.

- Mark
Old 02-24-2005, 02:45 PM
marcar
Racer

Thanks Teabagger & Mark. I'm thinking like you Mark, in that it gets drained from the reservoir. Wonder if any residual would get drained from the oil pan.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:51 PM
teabagger
Instructor

Default Oil Changes

The sump or pan should be mostly dry as in "Dry-Sump." You drain the reservoir or tank-mine looks like a pony keg. Some find it helpful to have a pump handy to pump it out like those you can find (overpriced) at Griot's garage. All depends on the placement of the tank. Usually the filter is inline before the tank, with the cooler before or after the tank.
JM
Old 02-24-2005, 05:53 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Take it to Jiffy Lube

Old 02-24-2005, 06:34 PM
TeamSpeed
Pro

You know, if I could, I would love to take the C6 Z06 to Jiffy Lube. Do you know how long they would look around under the car trying to figure out how to drain the oil?

A video of that might just be worth $10,000 in AFV...
Old 02-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

I forgot about the oil cooler. Maybe the drain could be at the oil cooler itself? If not, then it will probably be hard to truely drain all the old oil because some of it will remain in the cooler and the lines that run to it.

- Mark
Old 02-24-2005, 07:25 PM
FNC80
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Originally Posted by TeamSpeed
You know, if I could, I would love to take the C6 Z06 to Jiffy Lube. Do you know how long they would look around under the car trying to figure out how to drain the oil?

I wouldn't let anyone from Jiffy Lube within 30 feet of the car! Then again, he probably worked as a Chevy service guy not too long ago
Old 02-24-2005, 07:45 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Originally Posted by TeamSpeed

Old 02-24-2005, 11:43 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by teabagger
I have a dry-sump Brodix aluminum block stroker SB Chevy in my Lister, and it holds a LOT of oil, in fact we speak in gallons not pints. Like mine runs about a gallon and a half..
JM
That's less oil than a C5 holds
Old 02-24-2005, 11:56 PM
teabagger
Instructor

Default Oil Changes

One of the advantages w/ a dry sump is that with so much oil, you can basically add oil (if you run hard, like track days) and change the filetrs, and the oil stays relatively clean because the contaminants are dissapated across gallons rather than quarts, you run a cooler, and presumably a MUCH better filter, and your burning the oil, and adding to it constantly.....This isn't true for a daily driver of course, so if you're gonna be doing the old 3000-5000 miles on an oil change, better plan on some pricey changes...maybe $50-70 bucks in oil alone for Mobil 1 or the like. I run a very pricey Dino oil called Swepco www.swepcousa.com which combines the slipperyness of Synthetic, but allows needle bearings to rotate rather than "push" across the oil film, which is key for shaft rockers, roller cams, Etc....That costs even more but is cheap compared to a motor....& I misspoke earlier, I run 3Gals, and some Porsches run as much as 8 gallons.....
JM
Old 02-25-2005, 12:14 AM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the Chicago auto show, GM had a LS7 engine on a stand. I studied it pretty closely and the oil pan still has a drain plug. It looks like the oil changing procedure may be more complicated than we are used to. We may now have to drain most of the oil from the external reservoir and then get what is left by draining the oil pan.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:16 AM
DJCCorvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by LS WON
Only if you had a FORD but not something as worthy as "Americas Sports Car" In my opinion Fords are a waste of good resourses and I wouldn't change the oil I would let the Ford lockup.

Daniel
Old 02-25-2005, 08:45 AM
Stunt
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

If the oil pan does indeed have a drain plug, and if its the lowest point of the entire system, would it not stand to reason that when the engine isn't running, all the oil will drain into the pan and you just change it like normal?

Speaking of Jiffy Lube, I just dropped a new engine in the wife's 2000 Grand Vitara with only 80k miles on it. She had the oil changed there every 3k miles. Look at these images of the 80k Suzuki engine that they killed. Don't EVER take your vette there or anything else in your stable!

Oil pick up screen:

Front cover removed:

And the spun bearing that seized the engine:

Old 02-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Oil removal tool:

Get notified of new replies

To How Do You Change The Oil On The New Z06

Old 02-25-2005, 09:16 AM
marcar
Racer

Originally Posted by teabagger
One of the advantages w/ a dry sump is that with so much oil, you can basically add oil (if you run hard, like track days) and change the filetrs, and the oil stays relatively clean because the contaminants are dissapated across gallons rather than quarts, you run a cooler, and presumably a MUCH better filter, and your burning the oil, and adding to it constantly.....This isn't true for a daily driver of course, so if you're gonna be doing the old 3000-5000 miles on an oil change, better plan on some pricey changes...maybe $50-70 bucks in oil alone for Mobil 1 or the like. I run a very pricey Dino oil called Swepco www.swepcousa.com which combines the slipperyness of Synthetic, but allows needle bearings to rotate rather than "push" across the oil film, which is key for shaft rockers, roller cams, Etc....That costs even more but is cheap compared to a motor....& I misspoke earlier, I run 3Gals, and some Porsches run as much as 8 gallons.....
JM

Great information.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:21 AM
marcar
Racer

Speaking of Jiffy Lube, I just dropped a new engine in the wife's 2000 Grand Vitara with only 80k miles on it. She had the oil changed there every 3k miles. Look at these images of the 80k Suzuki engine that they killed. Don't EVER take your vette there or anything else in your stable!

Sorry to hear this. Just another reason to do it yourself!
Old 02-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stunt
If the oil pan does indeed have a drain plug, and if its the lowest point of the entire system, would it not stand to reason that when the engine isn't running, all the oil will drain into the pan and you just change it like normal?
Nope. There are 2 oil pumps in the LS7. The first, known as the scavenger pump, sucks any oil out of the pan and forces it into the reservoir. This pump will not let the oil back drain from the reservoir into the pan, so the pan should be "dry". The other pump sucks oil from the reservoir and forces it into the engine to supply the oil galleys that distribute the oil to all the moving parts of the engine. The oil drips down into the pan where its collected and the cycle starts again. I'm guessing that the oil cooler sits in the line return line from the scavenger pump to the reservoir. At any one time, most of the engine oil should be in the reservoir where it can easily be drained from.

I don't know why you'd need a drain in the oil pan for this car. It doesn't make sense to me. The only thing that it may be useful for is as an "inspection hole".

- Mark

Quick Reply: [Z06] How Do You Change The Oil On The New Z06