Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Mustang Better Bang for the Buck.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 07:17 PM
Corvette1221
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang Better Bang for the Buck.......

Ok guys, before you start jumping all over me hear me out cause I really want to get your unbiased opinions if possible.

I was at the auto store the other day and there was this young kid, 24 years old that worked as a loan officer for Countrywide. He was driving a 2004 Mustang Cobra.

I have a 2001 Corvette so we started talking about cars. He seemed to shoot pretty straight when he said that he felt the Corvette was a better car but being 6'4" tall he had a hard time fitting in the new one so he bought a mustang. He said he had not problem fitting in the C5 Vette but the C6's are too small for him.

But here is the real kicker... He said he spent $525.00 on his mustang and it now has 500HP under the hood. The original car cost 40 grand but then he put $525.00 which bought him a pulley for the supercharger that puts 13 PSI of boost as compared with the stock 8psi. I asked him if he had any pinging? He said there was no problem.

He was bumbed though, because he bought the car because he didn't buy the Z06 Vette and had upgraded it to beat the vette. Now that the new Z06 is coming out he is upset that it is going to be able to beat his car.

Bottom line is, if you guys are into performance, 40 grand for a new stang with 500HP? Not bad? Just to put a supercharger on my C5 is going to cost me at least 6 grand and that is if I do it myself.

So, Bang for the buck????? I was surprised, hey maybe those fords aren't so bad. I asked him if he had a dyno sheet. He said yes, but it was at home. I am sure it isn't too far fetched to get only 110 more ponies with such an increase in boost.

What do you guys think... Give the stang another chance?

Old 05-11-2005, 07:26 PM
greenshirt77
Drifting

Originally Posted by Corvette1221
... Give the stang another chance?
Uh...no.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:31 PM
teking
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok guys, before you start jumping all over me hear me out cause I really want to get your unbiased opinions if possible.

I was at the auto store the other day and there was this young kid, 24 years old that worked as a loan officer for Countrywide. He was driving a 2004 Mustang Cobra.

I have a 2001 Corvette so we started talking about cars. He seemed to shoot pretty straight when he said that he felt the Corvette was a better car but being 6'4" tall he had a hard time fitting in the new one so he bought a mustang. He said he had not problem fitting in the C5 Vette but the C6's are too small for him.

But here is the real kicker... He said he spent $525.00 on his mustang and it now has 500HP under the hood. The original car cost 40 grand but then he put $525.00 which bought him a pulley for the supercharger that puts 13 PSI of boost as compared with the stock 8psi. I asked him if he had any pinging? He said there was no problem.

He was bumbed though, because he bought the car because he didn't buy the Z06 Vette and had upgraded it to beat the vette. Now that the new Z06 is coming out he is upset that it is going to be able to beat his car.

Bottom line is, if you guys are into performance, 40 grand for a new stang with 500HP? Not bad? Just to put a supercharger on my C5 is going to cost me at least 6 grand and that is if I do it myself.

So, Bang for the buck????? I was surprised, hey maybe those fords aren't so bad. I asked him if he had a dyno sheet. He said yes, but it was at home. I am sure it isn't too far fetched to get only 110 more ponies with such an increase in boost.

I love the new Mustang. My boss just bought a new Shelby with 400RWHP.

One observation ... there is more to performance than HP ... and thats where the Mustang falls very, VERY short.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:24 PM
Trance Guru
Instructor

Sorry, not in a million years. The Stang is a dead pony, the newest 05 model looks like ***......ugliest wheels on a car in the history of cars. Fords selling cheep thrills, interior continues to be cheese. A buddy I know bought an 05 Stang in December.....he's already looking to trade it in. (For a Caddy CTS-V). Besides, Stangers were always Camaro shadowers..not Vette's.

Vette's For Life!
Old 05-11-2005, 08:38 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Bang for the buck is over rated..

You either want a 2 seat supercar like the Corvette or a 2 + 2 sport coupe like the mustang Shelby Cobra .......

PIck your poison...

Both great american icons
Old 05-11-2005, 08:44 PM
MYellow3
Instructor

That depends if you like the looks of the mustang. I am just not happy with the way it looks no matter if it had 600HP under the hood. But that is just my opinion.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:48 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

F.O.R.D.
Fix Or Repair Daily
Found On Road Dead
You get my drift...
Old 05-11-2005, 08:48 PM
JJayzX
Racer

Old 05-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by ghostRder
F.O.R.D.
Fix Or Repair Daily
Found On Road Dead
You get my drift...

That's exactly how that guy is gonna end up. The engine is stressed as it is without adding in a pulley to finish the job off.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:34 PM
korvetkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by alex1217
That's exactly how that guy is gonna end up. The engine is stressed as it is without adding in a pulley to finish the job off.
lol, I'm not a mustang cheerleader, but those motors can handle way more than that.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Kevin93
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 59 Posts

"Bang" is not limited to straight-line performance!

Even with the same body style, I'd rather have a low hp, well-handling car like a Boxster than a *****-out straightline car that couldn't take a corner like a Mustang. That's why Vettes will always be the best bang for the buck IMHO... they're at home with both.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:59 PM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

NO offense but you must be a Mustang owner and not a true Corvette person. Anyone who would make this assumption from talking to a 24 year old kid at an auto parts store is not a true car or Corvette person. Yes bang is more than straight line. You can tell you have never driven one of those cars. I can't believe you would even make such a comment with out driving one of those cars. Give me a break, have you seen the interior. I know our cars are not the pillar of quality but please. Go drive one and see if you think the same thing. The ride, seating position, handling, quality is less than desirable. You can make alot of cars fast for $40,000, its all the other things you can't make unless it says Corvette on it.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:29 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can put $10k into a Cobalt and make it fast too. It all depends on what you consider performance to be. Fast in a straight line is just as you learned from the 24 year old kid. Easy. Now make it handle with independent rear suspension. Make it stop with big brakes. Put huge tires on it with nice wheels. Lower the center of gravity by a foot. After adding all that stuff, then reduce the weight back down to 3100 lbs. with carbon fiber fenders and an aluminum frame. See what all that costs on a Mustang. Then come back to us here and let us know what that Mustang costs.

Old 05-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

First off look at my Corvette pictures. Comparing a Mustang to a Corvette is like comparing apples to bannas. Two very, very different cars. If you want refined performance the best bang for the buck is the Vet. If you want raw muscle (and willing to spend $$$ for mods) get the stang. BTW the white one is supercharged and the green one isn't stock either

In any case you have to enjoy what you drive
Old 05-11-2005, 11:50 PM
Drug Delivery
Drifting

I figure most people care much less about how well a vehicle can carve through a corner versus its ability to plow forward from 0-60 in minimal time. My brother continues to say that the 20K he spent on his '65 Olds that can run high 11s is better than a lot of new cars because it's faster and cost less. He's right in this regard but he also doesn't care about carbon fiber, center of gravity, etc, because his car isn't designed to be an entry level super car....neither is a mustang.

However, considering the above, a GT500 will have 500 HP and weigh ~3700 lbs versus a ZO6 that will have 500HP and weight ~3100 lbs. The ZO6 will be the better car 0-60 and in all other regards, except cost. So, if you can only afford a 40K car, buy a GT500, it'll be the best bang for buck under 40K. If you can get a ZO6, get that, as it will be the best bang for buck under 85K. I'll take both.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:54 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Nah, I don't have to give it another chance, cause personally it's never let me down from what I've observed on the street and throughout magazines. Just wish Ford had allowed that one of a kind 10-cylinder Mustand Cobra to become a rare production model. Anybody else see that article? Methinks the Ford GT should've gotten that V10.

Though I am curious: although I don't have a problem with the superchargers that SVT has adapted to the high performance Ford engines, why would this continue with the new generation of Cobra? Does Ford not want to exhaust the budget on researching an all motor engine that can put down those numbers? Once again, I have no problem with the supercharger, I just figured it was going to be a one thing with the 03 and up Cobras cause of SVT's hand in them. Wondering also what Saleen has planned for the new Cobra.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 05-11-2005 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:56 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by korvetkeith
lol, I'm not a mustang cheerleader, but those motors can handle way more than that.

I personnaly love the looks of the new Mustang and I read an article today in Hot Rod magazine of the up and coming GT500, now this is going to one bad *** car, it still won't compete with the Z06 but it's the best Mustang thats been built since 1973

Get notified of new replies

To Mustang Better Bang for the Buck.......

Old 05-12-2005, 12:35 AM
RonnieSVT
Instructor

You know I dont get all this Mustang is junk business. Has anyone here driven the new gt500 yet?

I rather have the c6 zo6 any day but that doesnt mean the gt500
isnt a cool car.

Whats funny is that for every guy here thats putting down a stang theres another guy on Viper alley saying the EXACT same thing about
the Viper compared to the c6 or even zo6.

I bet the Porsche guys are saying the same thing about Vipers and
what do you think the Ferrari guys are saying about Porsches?

Then some guy is going to put a 10 psi pulley on his Ford gt and talk about how he can spank a Ezo Ferrari on a straight.

Its fuuny but on Viper alley they are talking about how 500 rwhp Hayabusas can spank a twin turbo Viper

http://www.viperalley.com/showflat.p.../o/all/fpart/1

I heard the guy that designed Doom has a dual turbo Ferrari.So where
does this all end?

Maybe theres a Alien in outer space laughing at how slow we all are compared to his flying saucer and doesnt care how fast you can go around a corner when he can just hyper space to wherever he wants

I just love fast cars ! Viper , Mustangs zo6s who cares who makes it.

Just like I like I dont care what race a beautiful woman is because there
is beauty in all races just like there is beauty in all cars
Old 05-12-2005, 01:12 AM
LKGRenegade22
Pro

Default It's All A Matter Of Opinion

I don't think one can say which one is really a better "bang for the buck", but I can tell you the major differences. 1st of all just adding a pulley that only produces 13PSI is not going to give him 500 hp. All of my friends have mustangs and I know alot about them. My father even had a cobra until I converted him to the corvette family. The biggest difference in these cars is weight. When my 02 Z06 was bone stock with 355rwhp I outran my friend in his 04' cobra with 450rwhp. Now he had 18 PSI in his eaton and every bolt on imaginable and he has 550rwhp but his car also weighs about 3700lbs, without him in it. He could barely pull on me stock then. The car felt strong when we were riding in it but it just didn't impress me when we raced. When I spray on mine I can pull on him so hard it isn't a race....But a mustang is a good car to mod because it is alot cheaper to get 500 rwhp out of than a vette. I think he payed $100 for a pulley and pulley puller and my nitrous and all was ALOT more. The cobra just does not run with or drive as well as the vette. And I am not a mustang basher because I thought about getting one myself until I test drove the Z06 and bought it right then. It's all in where you want to spend your money...my other friend has a 93 Mustang car that is streetable with right at 1000rwhp....so it's not that I am against the stang but in the whole scheme of things it isnt really a comparison between the 2....after all you can make a van haul *** if your dumb enough the spend the money!
Old 05-12-2005, 03:36 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default You must be refering to the GT-500 that is due in 2006/2007?

They will probably only make like 7,500 of them limited production.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Mustang Better Bang for the Buck.......