Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How about all wheel drive on some Zo6's

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 06:29 AM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about all wheel drive on some Zo6's

I was just thinking out loud, if there were a Z with all wheel drive offered(like the porsche), what would be the performance diff between that and the rear wheel drive? Or would it be worth the trouble?
Old 08-08-2005, 07:19 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

You almost need AWD with that much hp to get traction.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:46 AM
BBQ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blandcastle
I was just thinking out loud, if there were a Z with all wheel drive offered(like the porsche), what would be the performance diff between that and the rear wheel drive? Or would it be worth the trouble?
It seems logical that this would be the next step...on C7? Although some on this board will cry about weight. Audi, Lambo, porsche all seem to have a winning formula with it.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:42 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by BBQ
It seems logical that this would be the next step...on C7? Although some on this board will cry about weight. Audi, Lambo, porsche all seem to have a winning formula with it.
I'm not sure it is possible based on the current engine configuration - there is just no place to put an AWD diff. All the cars above were designed to be AWD.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:55 AM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

AWD sucks.
It adds weight (200lb? ) and robs of power.
The only thing it’s good for is launching, although if you do launch to take advantage of the traction AWD provides, it’s incredibly hard on driveline.
Just look at all the AWD exotics. They can’t take more than a few dozen launches before destroying their clutches etc.

Also take a look at all “high performance” versions of any cars that come with AWD – they are RWD for a good reason - Porsche GT3, GT2, Diablo SV.
I’m sure they’ll make a high performance version of Murcielago which will be RWD too, mark my words
Old 08-08-2005, 11:17 AM
needhlp
Drifting

Originally Posted by blandcastle

Adds weight
Robs power
Most race cars are rwd for a reason (F1, nascar, lemans...)
Costs more
Kills longevity
Harder to repair
Old 08-08-2005, 11:21 AM
bernrex
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EuG
AWD sucks.
The only thing it’s good for is launching, although if you do launch to take advantage of the traction AWD provides, it’s incredibly hard on driveline.
Just look at all the AWD exotics. They can’t take more than a few dozen launches before destroying their clutches etc.

Also take a look at all “high performance” versions of any cars that come with AWD – they are RWD for a good reason - Porsche GT3, GT2, Diablo SV.
I’m sure they’ll make a high performance version of Murcielago which will be RWD too, mark my words
Tony Stewart just got a new bright Orange Lambo. Wonder how long before he smokes his clutch? That drivetrain will see more time in the pits than his race car.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:51 PM
ChaseN
Heel & Toe

I would go for a awd Z06. Sure, it may add some weight and rob some power, but it would also let you put power down much easier. Imagine running a stiff road race suspension, with street tires, and being able to hook up with 600+ hp. I've been reading up on 996TT's and they really dont seem to have much, if any, problems with the awd system holding up to increased power. Oh, and I think the reason race cars are RWD and not AWD is not necesarily because RWD is better, but because AWD isnt allowed under the rules/regs of most sanctioning bodies. GT2's and GT3's are RWD I believe for homolgation (sp?).

Bring on the AWD C7 Z06!
Old 08-08-2005, 02:59 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ChaseN
I would go for a awd Z06. Sure, it may add some weight and rob some power, but it would also let you put power down much easier. Imagine running a stiff road race suspension, with street tires, and being able to hook up with 600+ hp. I've been reading up on 996TT's and they really dont seem to have much, if any, problems with the awd system holding up to increased power. Oh, and I think the reason race cars are RWD and not AWD is not necesarily because RWD is better, but because AWD isnt allowed under the rules/regs of most sanctioning bodies. GT2's and GT3's are RWD I believe for homolgation (sp?).

Bring on the AWD C7 Z06!
I'd agree ... but, only if the front wheel drive could be 'selected' when its desired --- wet roads or AUTOX events.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:10 PM
07Z06RN
Advanced

If AWD ever happens, I hope it's optional. I love RWD and I don't want to pay for it, either.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:06 PM
DJWorm
Instructor

Default Hey Senor....

....we don't need NO stinking AWD/4WD.

Go buy a Jeep.

What we do need is an F1 launch control like Ferrari.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:14 PM
BBQ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChaseN

Bring on the AWD C7 Z06!
Old 08-08-2005, 04:19 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

All of you who think it is less reliable need to seriously look at Subaru - bone-dead reliable. Period. Yes, it adds weight, but damn does it allow you to hook the power, and the handling difference (even in the dry) with AWD makes it all worth while.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Kelly100
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Can you imagine the service nightmare at your local chevy dealer with AWD?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:21 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Two questions:

1. What do F1 cars use?
2. Do F1 rules ban the drive layout that they don't use?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:29 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by EuG
AWD sucks.

And will raise the engine height and therefore the center of gravity, I don't want it or need it in a Z06 style car.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06

And will raise the engine height and therefore the center of gravity, I don't want it or need it in a Z06 style car.
Serious.

Get notified of new replies

To How about all wheel drive on some Zo6's

Old 08-08-2005, 04:53 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Scissors
Serious.
Yes, the engine will have to move some where to allow for the front driveshaft and differential. The vette engine is just behind the front "axle" center line, but a lot of new equipment will have to find room, most non-awd cars that become awd see an inch or two raise in engine height and/or a corresponding raise in suspension height like the BMW 3 did.

Last edited by LTC Z06; 08-08-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:00 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by EuG
AWD sucks.
You guys must not remember Audi kicking eveyones butts...including the LT1's & ZR1's in SCCA two years in a row with the 20V Inline-5 Quattro's in the late 80's or early 90's then...

SCCA weight penalized the snot out of them and they still kicked butt...

Then they come back to SCCA and kicked butt AGAIN in the SpeedGT races...won the title 2 years in a row...Audi Sports Site

But there is the question of how to package that in the C6...not easy to do. Would take a total rethink of the way the Z06 was layed out. Don't see that happening anytime soon, since they spent so much money on R&D for the new Z...

Would be an interesting car though...pull the corners in all weather conditions. Racing would be fun with AWD...

(EuG) Not picking on you...you were the first post that I clicked on...

Last edited by 1991Z07; 08-08-2005 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-08-2005, 06:11 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Scissors
Serious.

You boys never heard of running the drive-shafts through the oil pan. Don't they do this right now on the in-line 6 in the blazer equivalent? Centre of gravity need not change. Chevy had a TT LT5 with shafts through the oil pan back in 90.

Quick Reply: [Z06] How about all wheel drive on some Zo6's