Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Z06 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Z06 Discussion
General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LS7 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2005, 10:49 AM   #1
Ruf-Racer
CF Senior Member
 
Ruf-Racer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Default Low Oil Pressure!

My 06 Z06 was towed to a dealer yesterday. That's another long story! Not fun. Left the car in Buttonwillow,Ca after getting a "low oil pressure" error signal. Oil pressure was indicating very low.Oil level was good and the engine was not overheated.I am hoping the problem is a sender or something simple.

Thanks to alanlaw,a real gentleman,who was really helpful!


Cheers

R
Ruf-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:16 AM   #2
m3corvette
CF Senior Member
 
m3corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Default

I'm sure it's just an error signal. Better safe then sorry though!
m3corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:22 AM   #3
louieT
CF Senior Member
 
louieT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruf-Racer
My 06 Z06 was towed to a dealer yesterday. That's another long story! Not fun. Left the car in Buttonwillow,Ca after getting a "low oil pressure" error signal. Oil pressure was indicating very low.Oil level was good and the engine was not overheated.I am hoping the problem is a sender or something simple.

Thanks to alanlaw,a real gentleman,who was really helpful!


Cheers

R
louieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:32 AM   #4
MitchAlsup
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Austin Texas
Default

Did you get a chance to read the oil temperature on the DIC?
MitchAlsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 12:04 PM   #5
Ruf-Racer
CF Senior Member
 
Ruf-Racer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Default Oil Temp?

DIC indicated oil & water temp were well within range. Oil was `190 & water was 210.DIC said oil pressure was low..about 10 psi at idle and 19 psi running slowly to a safe parking area.Oil level was down, and I added 1/2 quart to bring it to the "top hole" on the stick. I have 3400 miles on the car and that was the first oil I needed to add.I do check fluid levels frequently.
I am hoping for a call from the dealer today,that may be wishful since we are at a holday point.


Cheers

R

P.S.
MERRY CRISTMAS TO ALL
Ruf-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 12:31 PM   #6
vegasdude
CF Senior Member
 
vegasdude's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
Default

keep us posted Ruf.............
vegasdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:31 PM   #7
Hool97
CF Senior Member
 
Hool97's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2004
Location: over the water Cali
Default

The oil temp was a little on the low side. Their may be restriction somewhere in the pick-ups. They should actually read oil pressure from both pumps, too bad they don't. I would be interesting to know where the read the oil temp from ? pre or post leaving the oil pan scavanger.

Last edited by Hool97; 12-23-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Hool97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 02:01 PM   #8
PeterK
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner
 
PeterK's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Ellicott city KarlK is my brother
Default

usually when the oil sending unit goes bad - it reads too high pressure
PeterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 02:14 PM   #9
MitchAlsup
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Austin Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruf-Racer
DIC indicated oil & water temp were well within range. Oil was `190 & water was 210.DIC said oil pressure was low..about 10 psi at idle and 19 psi running slowly to a safe parking area.
With the 19 PSI at small RPMs above idle, I suspecet that the oil was actually at 290dF, which would result in this kind of oil pressure.

Sure hope I'm wrong....
MitchAlsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 02:19 PM   #10
curvesman
CF Senior Member
 
curvesman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2004
Location: Monroe New York
Default

Hope all is well!
curvesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 02:34 PM   #11
Tom Steele
CF Senior Member
 
Tom Steele's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Greenville SC
tsteele93 tsteele93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
With the 19 PSI at small RPMs above idle, I suspecet that the oil was actually at 290dF, which would result in this kind of oil pressure.

Sure hope I'm wrong....
Seems unlikely that the oil temp gauge is wrong, but the oil pressure gauge is right. And the oil pressure gauge is giving the error.

Just seems like an unlikely chain of events.
__________________
-Tom Steele

2010 Silver/Black ZR1 3LZ
----------------------------------------
2007 Silver/Black Z06 SOLD
2005 DSOM/Black Z51/6-Speed Coupe - SOLD
2002 Silver/Black Z06 - SOLD
2000 Silver/Black Z51/6-Speed Coupe - SOLD

Tom Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 04:05 PM   #12
Ruf-Racer
CF Senior Member
 
Ruf-Racer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Default Oil Temp!

The 19 psi oil pressure was ( also) observed about 5 hours after cool down, (no warning lights) when I drove the car onto a flat bed.
Guys,this is not fun! Car dealer is located in very rural area and the service guy says they will get to it "sometime" next week. I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about service at a small farming community dealer but that is where "chevusa" took the car.


cheers

R

Last edited by Ruf-Racer; 12-23-2005 at 04:08 PM.
Ruf-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 04:24 PM   #13
vegasdude
CF Senior Member
 
vegasdude's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruf-Racer
The 19 psi oil pressure was ( also) observed about 5 hours after cool down, (no warning lights) when I drove the car onto a flat bed.
Guys,this is not fun! Car dealer is located in very rural area and the service guy says they will get to it "sometime" next week. I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about service at a small farming community dealer but that is where "chevusa" took the car.


cheers

R
These small town mechanics usually have the best common sense................I think your car will be fine..............
vegasdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 04:52 PM   #14
SteveJ
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 1999
Location: Minneapolis Minnesota
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruf-Racer
The 19 psi oil pressure was ( also) observed about 5 hours after cool down, (no warning lights) when I drove the car onto a flat bed.
Guys,this is not fun! Car dealer is located in very rural area and the service guy says they will get to it "sometime" next week. I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about service at a small farming community dealer but that is where "chevusa" took the car.


cheers

R
Well, you are at a decision point here. If I were in your situation, I would have the car flat-bedded to the nearest Chev dealer that had mechanics that were familiar with Vettes, even if I had to pay the cost myself. Even lifting the car requires special technique not to damage the body. The clerk at chevusa probably doesn't even know what a Z06 is. Again, if they haven't started to work on the car this option is open to you, but the decision has to be made right away. Good luck.
__________________
1985 Coupe, sold
1995 Coupe, sold
2000 Coupe, sold
2008 Coupe, JSB, MN6, Z51, NPP, LT3
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:07 PM   #15
Ruf-Racer
CF Senior Member
 
Ruf-Racer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Default Steve..god idea

Quote:
If I were in your situation, I would have the car flat-bedded to the nearest Chev dealer that had mechanics that were familiar with Vettes, even if I had to pay the cost myself.

How would I determine which dealer has experience with Vettes? How different is 06 Z06 to say,prior year Z06 model? Which dealer has been to Z06 school?
Can anybody clue me about contacting a factory technical representative to handle this. I am OK with transport costs.


Cheers

R
Ruf-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:33 PM   #16
vegasdude
CF Senior Member
 
vegasdude's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruf-Racer
How would I determine which dealer has experience with Vettes? How different is 06 Z06 to say,prior year Z06 model? Which dealer has been to Z06 school?
Can anybody clue me about contacting a factory technical representative to handle this. I am OK with transport costs.


Cheers

R
From my experience, dealerships that sell Corvettes have factory trained corvette techs. If they sell corvettes then you are probably good to go. The only problem is that this car is really new but due to the C6 being out for a year they may have a person that has enough experience to fix the car. If I were you, I would call this dealership and ask all of these questions. With technology today, they can read computer codes and send them out for advice..............
vegasdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:03 PM   #17
PeterK
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner
 
PeterK's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Ellicott city KarlK is my brother
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasdude
These small town mechanics usually have the best common sense................I think your car will be fine..............
Ah, no! I've had my car worked on by a guy who never worked on vettes before (small south TX town) and he had to order 3 different parts before he got it right - column lock problem.
PeterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:20 PM   #18
SteveJ
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 1999
Location: Minneapolis Minnesota
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruf-Racer
How would I determine which dealer has experience with Vettes? How different is 06 Z06 to say,prior year Z06 model? Which dealer has been to Z06 school?
Can anybody clue me about contacting a factory technical representative to handle this. I am OK with transport costs.


Cheers

R
Welcome to the world of Corvettes. Most major metropolitan areas have one, maybe two, Chevy dealers qualfied to work on Vettes. There just aren't that many out there compared to the total volume of Chevrolet cars and trucks. I'd say that if you let us know how far the car is from, say LA or San Francisco, that someone on the Forum could probably recommend a good dealer to take the car to.
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:27 PM   #19
Ruf-Racer
CF Senior Member
 
Ruf-Racer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Default Location

My car is near Buttonwillow,Ca or about 160 miles N of my home in Orange County.
Perhaps,I can wait for preliminary diagnosis and If the issues is a simple sensor or something,well ok then.would that work?


Cheers

R


rolandrothATmac.com
Ruf-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:52 PM   #20
Z11409
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2000
Location: redlands,ca.-usa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruf-Racer
My car is near Buttonwillow,Ca or about 160 miles N of my home in Orange County.
Perhaps,I can wait for preliminary diagnosis and If the issues is a simple sensor or something,well ok then.would that work?


Cheers

R


rolandrothATmac.com
If its in Bakersfield your ok(3 Way)
Z11409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:52 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page Low Oil Pressure!
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:55 PM.


Emails & Password Backup