Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Mods & Dynos from 21st Century

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 08:16 PM
EBSDallas
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Mods & Dynos from 21st Century

I took my car into 21st Century Musclecars on Tuesday for the first round of mods:

Thermostat
Cold Air Intake
Ported MAF
Dyno Tune
LG Long Tube Headers
Re-Tune

I also had an exhaust bypass switch installed, and had the stock brake fuid replaced with Motul fluid.

We did a baseline dyno run before any of the mods were made.

As a side note to Myhardtop, I did ask Pat for the Carlos (pimp) tune.

The car was built in early April, (I was lucky enough to do the build tour with Kevin Tarrance). I took delivery of the car on May 11 at the NCM and drove it back to Dallas. I had the oil and filter changed (Mobil 1) when we got back home. The car now has right at 4,000 miles on it. The baseline runs were made with the original air box and filter in place. The car had a nearly full tank of 93 octane Shell gasoline in it.

Baseline:
HP: 436.03
TQ: 397.85

I was hoping for a little more HP and TQ, but hey, it is what it is.

After the thermostat, LPE CAI, LPE ported MAF and dyno tune:
HP: 453.02 3.9% increase in peak HP over Baseline
TQ: 408.64 2.7% increase in peak TQ over Baseline

After the LT headers and re-tune:
HP: 476.96 5.3% increase in peak HP over CAI mods
TQ: 447.59 9.5% increase in peak TQ over CAI mods.

Net Gains:
HP: 9.4% increase
TQ: 12.5% increase

As we know, peak numbers are nice, but it's the area under the curve that tells the real story. So ......... I scanned the dyno chart and imported it into an AutoCad drawing. I then laid out a set of grid lines over the chart and added a spline over the HP and TQ curves. I was then able to query AutoCad for the area under the curves (the areas shown are in square inches):

The envelope please:

Baseline vs. CAI mods:

CAI mods vs. Lt Headers:

Net gains:

This is the Dyno sheet from 21st Century without any alterations:

Note that for each curve, almost all across the board, the area under the curve is greater after each round of mods. The car felt like a monster before, it feels like an absolute monster now!!! Asuming the engine made 505 crank HP when it left Wixom, 436.03 rwhp would represent a 13.66% drive train loss. With a final rwhp number of 476.96, a 13.66% drive train loss would work out to about 552 HP at the crank.

I'd like to thank all the people at 21st Century they're a great bunch of guys working at a great shop!

EBS

Last edited by EBSDallas; 09-15-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:43 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by EBSDallas
I took my car into 21st Century Musclecars on Tuesday for the first round of mods:

EBS
Looks good to me EBS. You may get some people chime in and say that you should have made a little more power (closer to 500 if not 500). But like you said, look at your power gains under the curve over your baseline run.

I will agree with you, a little more baseline power could have been seen but hey, it is what it is. Your baseline run is right in line from what we have seen lately on the dyno. Remember, we have this power robbing enemy call crappy HEAT here in Dallas Texas to deal with.

Congrats and I'll see you around. Once it cools off a little (90* ), then retune/redyno for even more power; please let me know if you have any further questions.

Stay safe and be careful; drive with the TC on until you get use to the extra power

Last edited by LTC Z06; 09-15-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:04 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

No need to quote the entire post, remember, some folks are still on dial up.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:17 PM
GoTreo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice numbers. I am curious, what cutouts did you install? I have a set of QTP's that I will be installing along with my Stainless Works 3" headers. Would be great if you could post a picture of your cutout installation so I can get an idea of how you mounted them. 2 other questions:

1) Did you go with the 2 1/2" or the 3" cutout
2) Do you like the sound of the car with the cutouts?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-15-2006, 11:24 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Outstanding Headers, and awesome Torque!
Old 09-16-2006, 02:41 PM
boosted_z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you can compare, my Z06 is stock with just a good tune.
It was street tuned and then a week later I went to a load bearing dyno to compare what results my tuner had given me and it was right on

Car runs great in all types of driving but really screams when I get on it

Old 09-16-2006, 03:38 PM
PetaVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Myhardtop]Looks good to me EBS. You may get some people chime in and say that you should have made a little more power (closer to 500 if not 500). But like you said, look at your power gains under the curve over your baseline run.

Me Too EBS. My06Z with American Racing Headers,Haltech F1,Tune made 474.9rwhp. No baseline was done stock but the difference was about 30rwhp after the tune. My freinds,stepson all said "thats to low" so i agreed to another dyno run on dynojet...................drumroll 480rwhp and that was with a ported intake added.Anyway the car runs and sounds great. enjoy yours and as another forum member said keep TC/AH on. My car allows for quite a bit of tire spin on TC but never has gotten sideways. I leave it on always. May take it off (TC only )at the track.

Last edited by PetaVette; 09-16-2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:42 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted_z06
So you can compare, my Z06 is stock with just a good tune.
508/489 RW w/ just a tune? Great #s, but I don't buy it for a stock car--sorry...
Old 09-16-2006, 11:23 PM
boosted_z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
508/489 RW w/ just a tune? Great #s, but I don't buy it for a stock car--sorry...
People buy it when some vendor makes claims like a foam aircleaner but not when a car owner has a dyno dine on his own

The engine is stock, it does have water/meth injection with 1 nozzle and tune.
Dyno was done on my own without the tuner even present but the numbers backed up what the tuner computed back in the end of May when tune was done

It is who does the tuning and what they know and this tuner has done 3 Corvettes of mine over the last four years and their numbers have hit close to what dyno reported every time.

Tuner's street results after the tune going to 132 MPH and around 6,900 RPMs with no knock and higher WOT timing :

Get notified of new replies

To Mods & Dynos from 21st Century

Quick Reply: [Z06] Mods & Dynos from 21st Century