Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How to spot a 9-Second LS7 (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 06:00 PM
2KZ28CAM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to spot a 9-Second LS7 (Pics)

Posting this thread on myhardtop's behalf. Here are some pictures of his nitrous mods to his LS7. I will leave it to him to explain what we're looking at...

Old 01-05-2007, 06:08 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks Jim.

The quality of the pictures are not that great but I will happily answer all/any of your questions.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 01-05-2007, 06:14 PM
dgdoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

You have done a superb job concealing your setup.
I would be very surprised if anyone ever figured it out without you giving them at least a clue.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:22 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dgdoc
You have done a superb job concealing your setup.
I would be very surprised if anyone ever figured it out without you giving them at least a clue.
You're right my friend. It took two tech guys at the dealership 20 minutes of constant looking without touching anything to finally break-in with a clue. Oh yeah, I won the beat: a foot long Sub Combo from Subway! It taste much better when it's FREE

Carlos.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:29 PM
dgdoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
You're right my friend. It took two tech guys at the dealership 20 minutes of constant looking without touching anything to finally break-in with a clue. Oh yeah, I won the beat: a foot long Sub Combo from Subway! It taste much better when it's FREE

Carlos.
That's terrific.

But at the same time wouldn't it be kind of unfair to do this to a group of unsuspecting ricers who are talking trash about your piece of junk american car?

Carlos, you'd never derive any pleasure from crushing someone like this would you?
Old 01-05-2007, 06:34 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dgdoc
That's terrific.

But at the same time wouldn't it be kind of unfair to do this to a group of unsuspecting ricers who are talking trash about your piece of junk american car?

Carlos, you'd never derive any pleasure from crushing someone like this would you?
I am an HONEST street racer...I always tell truth...even when I lie

I feel really bad when some one looses his money to me after talking smack.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:53 PM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Talk about the silent assassin! Your car is amazing. Extremely fast and can you imagine the looks you get when you totally anihilate someone as though they were standing still or in reverse.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:09 PM
MEANZ06
Race Director

love the stealth look of the system...
Old 01-05-2007, 07:13 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mtbf?

wadda ya figure is the MTBF ( mean time between failures ) of this setup? Reading about valve and spun bearing problems in the LS7 leaves me wondrin' whacha thinkin is gonna happen when you all take a broken LS7 to the dealer for warranty engine replacement? ( Especially after you've apparently informed the dealers' techs of your mods! )

I am not trying to rain on your parade or spoil your fun. However, good grief man what makes you think this motor can, without any internal mods to strengthen it, stand the extra power?
Old 01-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Icebourg
Pro

I feel really bad when some one looses his money to me after talking smack.

Very Nice!! When it comes to street racing.........I'LLL N E V E R TELL!!
Great job at concealment!!
Old 01-05-2007, 07:19 PM
MEANZ06
Race Director

Originally Posted by OregonC6
wadda ya figure is the MTBF ( mean time between failures ) of this setup? Reading about valve and spun bearing problems in the LS7 leaves me wondrin' whacha thinkin is gonna happen when you all take a broken LS7 to the dealer for warranty engine replacement? ( Especially after you've apparently informed the dealers' techs of your mods! )

I am not trying to rain on your parade or spoil your fun. However, good grief man what makes you think this motor can, without any internal mods to strengthen it, stand the extra power?
warranty? what warranty? we have a warranty?
Old 01-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Carlos must have it down or engine would've let go by now.Nice way to conceal setup.Getting ready to do this myself after talking with Carlos.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:25 PM
dgdoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

How are you concealing the bottle?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:29 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Mr. OregonC6,

1) Good call outs, however, we don't worry about warranty work around here.
The guys at the dealership are cool with me, they are racers themselves. Believe or not, I see many of them at the track. The key is: GET TO KNOW YOUR LOCAL SERVICE GUYS. You'll be amaze as to how much they'll do for ya if you just talk and treat them with respect.
I hate to say this, but many Vette guys in the past have pissed off too many people at the dealerships tech guys included, to the point were we, vette owners have earned a reputation for being cocky, giving the impression that we are better than everybody else and/or guys full of money.

2) The LS7 is a very tough motor. In fact, all LS series engines are tough. I have never ever experienced any issues with any of my engines. And if something does happens, a new engine will not be a problem. Yes, to your point, I am aware of some of the valvetrain and bearing issues with our car, but this is nothing new. Remember when people first started to push the LS1's back in 97,98 and so on? People were reporting broken pushrods this, and engine knocking that. Did that stop many of us? NO..it didn't stop me that's for sure.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 01-05-2007, 09:50 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Wow, what a stealth installation. You could even disguise the bottles as "high" powered subwoofers, you know kind of the inverse of those ricer subwoofers made to look like NOS bottles.

I hope no one hits that little toggle switch on the center console accidently.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:56 PM
l88rocket
Melting Slicks

If a stock LS7 can't take some nitrous,there's a big problem.

there's a forged crank,titanuim rods,forged pistons.I mean its the best you can buy for any motor,the only problem I mite see is the rings and valve springs.I'm sure what rings are in it and the springs are weak any way.Not sure on how true this is maybe someone here know,but rumor is the crank is from Callies,pistons are JE,not sure on the rods

I have been looking at adding a nozzle system to mine when I swap cams.

I'm very impressed that a stock engine,granted has bolt ons,and nos,but a stock engine,and car that is off the showroom floor,these are simply rocket fast cars.

Congrats talk about sleeper.

Oh yeah I never met a honest street racer,I know this because I'm not a honest street racer.

Last edited by l88rocket; 01-05-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:43 PM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does the switch take the place of the TC/AH button? or am i just really tired..?

Get notified of new replies

To How to spot a 9-Second LS7 (Pics)

Old 01-05-2007, 11:11 PM
MEANZ06
Race Director

Originally Posted by vette-oholic
does the switch take the place of the TC/AH button? or am i just really tired..?
i think your tired...
Old 01-05-2007, 11:34 PM
dark_phantom
Le Mans Master

Location: Central Florida. Black Sheep Squadron Member. 465 rwhp & 477 rwtq
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Very nice.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:49 PM
RFC2
Burning Brakes

The heck with the vette, tell me about the GN. I just sold my 28K mile beauty.

Quick Reply: [Z06] How to spot a 9-Second LS7 (Pics)