Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Evo magazine do a 3 page review of my Lingenfelter Z06!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 12:34 PM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo magazine do a 3 page review of my Lingenfelter Z06!

Just 2 issues after my stock car was used in their Car of the Year contest (where it finished a creditable 4th place behind the £200k Ferrari 599, £200k Lambo LP640 and £80k Porsche GT3) the latest issue, no.101, features a great 3 page review of my car in its new LPE guise!

Deputy Editor Jethro Bovingdon had a great time thrashing it around Jonathan Palmer's Bedford Autodrome, where it beat a factory-prepared Ferrari 599 by 0.7 seconds!

The Ferrari arrived on a trailer and was constantly tweaked by no less than 6 factory technicians who were changing pads, tyres and making mysterious changes underbonnet/hood. The tyres they used to set their times on track were so soft, they literally started falling apart and sticking to the rolling road for the power run so they hastily had to change to a more recognisably road tyre to record an admittedly fantastic 621bhp.

And thereby hangs the only disappointing part of the tale.
I've had the LPE 616bhp cam/intake/header kit installed and it only measured 550bhp at the flywheel. It has subsequently been tweaked to 568bhp, but it is still well short of LPE's claims, even accounting for differences between UK and US rolling road protocols.

[FYI, mine measured 409rwhp stock (calculated to 499bhp) and only increased by 59rwhp to 468rwhp (568bhp) which is far short of the 78 rwhp increase shown on LPE's site: http://www.lingenfelter.com/images/2...040106_000.jpg

I have emailed them and am still awaiting their reply. ]

However my car was still much faster than the stock Z06 they tested last year and Jethro's impressions were that the car was "plain terrifying" and "uncomfortably violent"!

He did conclude that the stock suspension could do with some improvement though and I agree with that. Coilovers, adjustable shocks and thicker anti-roll bars are the next step.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:47 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by David_Yu
He did conclude that the stock suspension could do with some improvement though and I agree with that. Coilovers, adjustable shocks and thicker anti-roll bars are the next step.
These sure look cool:

http://www.pfadtracing.com/
Old 01-13-2007, 12:50 PM
dgdoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

However my car was still much faster than the stock Z06 they tested last year and Jethro's impressions were that the car was "plain terrifying" and "uncomfortably violent"!
That's quite a compliment.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dgdoc
That's quite a compliment.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:58 PM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by allanlaw
These sure look cool:

http://www.pfadtracing.com/
Will C6 anti-sway bars fit a Z06? We have a wider track, at least at the rear...

I'm looking for shocks that are easily remote adjustable without having to jack the car up or take off the wheels.

I hear Penske have some in the works, but are there any already out there?
Old 01-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Congrats on the ink!

Ron
Old 01-13-2007, 04:32 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Just 2 issues after my stock car was used in their Car of the Year contest (where it finished a creditable 4th place behind the £200k Ferrari 599, £200k Lambo LP640 and £80k Porsche GT3) the latest issue, no.101, features a great 3 page review of my car in its new LPE guise!

Deputy Editor Jethro Bovingdon had a great time thrashing it around Jonathan Palmer's Bedford Autodrome, where it beat a factory-prepared Ferrari 599 by 0.7 seconds!

The Ferrari arrived on a trailer and was constantly tweaked by no less than 6 factory technicians who were changing pads, tyres and making mysterious changes underbonnet/hood. The tyres they used to set their times on track were so soft, they literally started falling apart and sticking to the rolling road for the power run so they hastily had to change to a more recognisably road tyre to record an admittedly fantastic 621bhp.

I've had the LPE 616bhp cam/intake/header kit installed and it only measured 550bhp at the flywheel. It has subsequently been tweaked to 568bhp, but it is still well short of LPE's claims, even accounting for differences between UK and US rolling road protocols.

[FYI, mine measured 409rwhp stock (calculated to 499bhp) and only increased by 59rwhp to 468rwhp (568bhp) which is far short of the 78 rwhp increase shown on LPE's site: http://www.lingenfelter.com/images/2...040106_000.jpg

David,
Congrats on the magazine article! The problem with Dyno numbers in the US is that they are all inflated. LPE is not the only company doing it, they are all doing it. The only company that does not inflate dyno numbers is Katech. I never believe any RWHP number I see any more. Figuring out the real engine HP from a chassis dyno is difficult, IMHO. This is just an unfortunate situation for the customer and I am also very dissapointed it is this way. I've determined by many hours of investigation, that a well maintained dyno jet is off by about 5% from the real SAE net HP. That would put 616 around 585 by my conclusion.

Here is another problem with LPE advertising, for example. They claim 616 BHP for their cam kit. By looking at this claim, one would tend to thing they are getting a 111 increase over stock, right? WRONG. We need to compare apples to apples when putting up a number like this. They take a RWHP number and divide by .85. Problem is now the baseline for the Z06 is really something like 450/.85 = 530 BHP HP !!! This is an 86 BHP gain, not 111.

Don't get me wrong here, LPE is one of the best tuners on the planet, and you can never go wrong with their stuff. I just don't agree with their Dyno numbers.

Given that you are not creating a real 616 HP, I wonder if the Ferrari was faster in straight line acceleration?

Last edited by WeaponsGradeTorque; 01-13-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:03 PM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by WeaponsGradeTorque
David,
Congrats on the magazine article! The problem with Dyno numbers in the US is that they are all inflated. LPE is not the only company doing it, they are all doing it. The only company that does not inflate dyno numbers is Katech. I never believe any RWHP number I see any more. Figuring out the real engine HP from a chassis dyno is difficult, IMHO. This is just an unfortunate situation for the customer and I am also very dissapointed it is this way. I've determined by many hours of investigation, that a well maintained dyno jet is off by about 5% from the real SAE net HP. That would put 616 around 585 by my conclusion.

Here is another problem with LPE advertising, for example. They claim 616 BHP for their cam kit. By looking at this claim, one would tend to thing they are getting a 111 increase over stock, right? WRONG. We need to compare apples to apples when putting up a number like this. They take a RWHP number and divide by .85. Problem is now the baseline for the Z06 is really something like 450/.85 = 530 BHP HP !!! This is an 86 BHP gain, not 111.

Don't get me wrong here, LPE is one of the best tuners on the planet, and you can never go wrong with their stuff. I just don't agree with their Dyno numbers.

Given that you are not creating a real 616 HP, I wonder if the Ferrari was faster in straight line acceleration?

Thanks for all the comments! Yeah I've heard that dyno jets overread, but my figures were done on a Dyno Dynamics RR that is supposedly a little more accurate.

But I'm not bitching about not hitting a mythical "616bhp", merely noting that the rwhp increase shown on LPE's graph shows a 78rwhp hike.

My rwhp increase, measured on the same Dyno Dynamics RR over here in England showed as only 59rwhp.

I'm sure the cause is the naturally conservative tune LPE must have put on the brand new PCM they sent out with the kit.

To be fair to them, LPE aren't really a "mail order" co anyway; like all proper tuning houses, they usually have the actual customer's car there onsite and tuned on their own RR. Obviously we (a friend had the same package fitted and saw only a 54rwhp increase!) live a bit far from Indiana to have our cars shipped there...

As asked on my other thread, I am now looking for some decent LS7 tuning software and will find someone over here who can tweak LPE's code to release some more hp, but not another 50 I'm sure!

Oh and to answer your question, yes the Ferrari was a LOT quicker in a straight line. 0.3s to 60 and 0.8s to 100! Even with suspiciously soft tyres, that is pretty impressive for a car that weighs 300kg more...
Old 01-13-2007, 07:08 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all the comments! Yeah I've heard that dyno jets overread, but my figures were done on a Dyno Dynamics RR that is supposedly a little more accurate.

But I'm not bitching about not hitting a mythical "616bhp", merely noting that the rwhp increase shown on LPE's graph shows a 78rwhp hike.

My rwhp increase, measured on the same Dyno Dynamics RR over here in England showed as only 59rwhp.

I'm sure the cause is the naturally conservative tune LPE must have put on the brand new PCM they sent out with the kit.

To be fair to them, LPE aren't really a "mail order" co anyway; like all proper tuning houses, they usually have the actual customer's car there onsite and tuned on their own RR. Obviously we (a friend had the same package fitted and saw only a 54rwhp increase!) live a bit far from Indiana to have our cars shipped there...

As asked on my other thread, I am now looking for some decent LS7 tuning software and will find someone over here who can tweak LPE's code to release some more hp, but not another 50 I'm sure!

Oh and to answer your question, yes the Ferrari was a LOT quicker in a straight line. 0.3s to 60 and 0.8s to 100! Even with suspiciously soft tyres, that is pretty impressive for a car that weighs 300kg more...
I use HPTuners for my tuning. You may be able to gain another 5-10 rwhp by tweaking their tune. I can share with you what I've learned if you want.

The Ferrari times are very impressive!! Although if you had on PS2's that would help the Z06 out for sure, but not enough to make up for that difference. I saw a video on the EVO web site of a dyno done on the 599. It looks to me like the car made over 600 RWHP!! Do you agree?

http://www.evo.co.uk/
Old 01-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Yaroslav
Burning Brakes

So what is faster LPE Z06 or Ferrari?
Old 01-13-2007, 08:29 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Mine is going to them in feb for the 403 package
Old 01-13-2007, 08:43 PM
TeddyFreddy
Drifting

Congratulations!
What tires did you use?
Old 01-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by WeaponsGradeTorque
The only company that does not inflate dyno numbers is Katech.
Thank you, thank you thank YOU!
Old 01-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Yaroslav
Burning Brakes

David where can i read the article? And as i see 599 is still faster that LPE Z06?
Old 01-13-2007, 10:16 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Yaroslav
David where can i read the article? And as i see 599 is still faster that LPE Z06?
Looks like it because he is not really making 616 BHP.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:20 PM
TeddyFreddy
Drifting

Z06 was faster, he wrote:
But I want the article
Old 01-13-2007, 10:25 PM
dgdoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, I really don't think it matters much how fast the Ferrari 599 is since for all practical purposes you can't get one.
I was at the Ferrari dealer last weekend and the GM told me the these cars are red hot, to the point of going for $220K.....over MSRP!!!
That is, if you don't want to be on the waiting list for 5 years.

So, the next time someone complains about the $5K premium on a Z06, you can put things in perspective.

They had one in the showroom and it was a real beauty - actually, incredibly striking. Anyone who loves automobiles and appreciates style would have a lot of admiration for what Ferrari has built.

Get notified of new replies

To Evo magazine do a 3 page review of my Lingenfelter Z06!

Old 01-13-2007, 11:43 PM
MadMaxZ06
Racer

I'm curious to see how LPE responds.

- Max
Old 01-14-2007, 03:03 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Old 01-14-2007, 05:22 AM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

As stated in my earlier posts, the 599 is considerably quicker in a straight line. However my LPE Z still beat its lap time by 0.7s (at 1:22.04 for those who have any copy of evo to hand) despite running the stock runflats!

The 599 ran some tyres that judging by their behaviour on the rolling road were even softer than your average Pirelli P Zero Corsa track tyre as they were falling apart "as a wet slick would do" and the factory guys were on hand to unlock all the various electronic secrets that optimise launch.

The 599's F1 Superfast paddle shift is the world's fastest on a road car (100ms) and the car was equipped with Carbon Ceramic brakes which even required (an incredibly expensive, no doubt) pad change during the test.

It was dynoed at 621bhp at the flywheel v 552bhp for my car at the same facility.

Unfortunately, the article is not online, but when issue 101 eventually hits your shores, make sure you pick up a copy (even at $12!) as there is also some typically fantastic action photography on the piece. I know I'm biased, but evo's snappers are the best in the business IMO.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Evo magazine do a 3 page review of my Lingenfelter Z06!