Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 997s trade update

Old 03-03-2007, 07:28 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997s trade update

I just wanted to give everyone an update on how I feel about my recent trade of a 997s 06 for a 07 Z06. Now that I have driven the Z alittle bit I have no traders regret. I love the Z much more then the porsche. The Z is much more fun to drive. I have had no problems at all. I have all positive things to say except one. I wish the Z had secondary suspension setting. But thats it. Some of the roads are alittle rough and it is noticable in the Z. The 997s has a non-sport setting that made it alittle nicer on rough roads. The Z is not unbearable and I would give that up in a moment to drive the Z over the 997s anyday. I don't understand all the negative talk on this forum about GM. I have owned a 2004 Yukon, 2005 silverado 4x4 without any problems whatsoever. The Yukon has 55k miles on it. I bought an extended warrenty and wasted my money. Anyway, my garage is completely GM and has no issues at all. Love the Car!!!!!!

trapp
Old 03-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Secondary suspesion... We can live without it.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by trapp
I just wanted to give everyone an update on how I feel about my recent trade of a 997s 06 for a 07 Z06. Now that I have driven the Z alittle bit I have no traders regret. I love the Z much more then the porsche. The Z is much more fun to drive. I have had no problems at all. I have all positive things to say except one. I wish the Z had secondary suspension setting. But thats it. Some of the roads are alittle rough and it is noticable in the Z. The 997s has a non-sport setting that made it alittle nicer on rough roads. The Z is not unbearable and I would give that up in a moment to drive the Z over the 997s anyday. I don't understand all the negative talk on this forum about GM. I have owned a 2004 Yukon, 2005 silverado 4x4 without any problems whatsoever. The Yukon has 55k miles on it. I bought an extended warrenty and wasted my money. Anyway, my garage is completely GM and has no issues at all. Love the Car!!!!!!

trapp

I see that you live in IL. I have noticed that the ride quality is worse in very cold weather. In the summer it's great in my opinion, and even on warmer winter days I don't notice it too much. A couple weeks ago I was driving a Z06 in 20 degree weather and I could notice the deflection in my passengers voice as we went over bumps. Has anybody else noticed the correlation between ride quality and ambient temperature?

Otherwise I think the C6Z06 is the best riding sports car I have ever driven. It would be great for road trips I think. Maybe it's just my 25-year-old mentality, but the ride quality exceeds my expectations.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 03-03-2007, 07:48 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have noticed that too. When the thread came out on the new rear shocks for 07, I actually posted up that I thought the 07's suspension felt rougher than my 06. It was during some cold times here that I got that impression. Now that the 07 shocks rumor has been put to rest and the fact that it's been warmer here, the car feels like my 06 did. I sold the 06 in late May and bought the 07 November 1st. So for me the cold weather explains why it rides different......
Old 03-03-2007, 07:49 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Katech
I see that you live in IL. I have noticed that the ride quality is worse in very cold weather. In the summer it's great in my opinion, and even on warmer winter days I don't notice it too much. A couple weeks ago I was driving a Z06 in 20 degree weather and I could notice the deflection in my passengers voice as we went over bumps. Has anybody else noticed the correlation between ride quality and ambient temperature?

Otherwise I think the C6Z06 is the best riding sports car I have ever driven. It would be great for road trips I think. Maybe it's just my 25-year-old mentality, but the ride quality exceeds my expectations.

All vehicles ride harsher when cold. They also creak and squeak and rattle more so when it is cold.

Come on spring.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the Z much more then the porsche. trapp

Wait til the warm weather...

Mike
Old 03-03-2007, 07:55 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by outnumbered

All vehicles ride harsher when cold. They also creak and squeak and rattle more so when it is cold.

Come on spring.

Uh, it's already spring here! Oh wait, winter was never here.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:15 PM
72guy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
Uh, it's already spring here! Oh wait, winter was never here.
Nor was much else. 'cept gas, fog, and carrots. Just jerkin' yer chain. Had relatives in Fresno and Bakersfield. Still have a brother in Visailia.
Regards
Old 03-03-2007, 08:39 PM
JDogg
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm just waiting to get another Z.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by JDogg
I'm just waiting to get another Z.

For what?
Old 03-03-2007, 08:57 PM
JDogg
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

For what?
To drive the heck out of. You might not have been around when I was more active here.... see this old thread. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...light=tracking
Old 03-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by outnumbered

Come on spring.
I also creak, squeak and rattle when i am cold!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:04 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I completely agree with your comment about the Z06 being a great riding sports car. And I don't think it's your 25-year-old mentality, because my mentality is twice that (read "old guy") and I feel exactly the same way. I am constantly amazed that this car handles and sticks as well as it does, and turns in so crisply with virtually no body roll, yet the suspension works incredibly well over harsh roads and offers a compliant ride. It doesn't get cold enough where I live to test out your theory about the ride being affected by very cold weather, Jason.

Frankly, I can't see why I'd want to go to with the newer, softer rear shocks--this car offers a great ride (IMO) as is, and I wouldn't want to risk possibly compromising the handling with softer settings.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:01 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Garrett FRC
Secondary suspesion... We can live without it.
I can live without it also but it would be nice to have the same option as the c6. I would love it if the roof panel was removable also....

trapp
Old 03-03-2007, 11:03 PM
bondmid003
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The winter never really came to Pensacola either So glad for that
Old 03-04-2007, 03:54 AM
jimmy_james
Navigator

trapp

Trapp - that is good to hear, because I am considering a similar move. I just sold my 2005 Porsche 911 S three months ago - and I am SERIOUSLY considering getting either a 2007 (or 2008 once available) ZO6. I also did love the PASM button - left it off most of the time (but it was fun to kick on in the twisties). Given your experience, what are your thoughts on:
- ride height (do you scrape going in/out of driveways compared to the 997)

- headroom (how would you compare)?
- driver position (steering wheel placement), shifter position, etc
- shifter smoothness (notchy? how does it compare to the 997)?

Thanks in advance for the input!

-James
Old 03-04-2007, 10:33 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimmy_james
Trapp - that is good to hear, because I am considering a similar move. I just sold my 2005 Porsche 911 S three months ago - and I am SERIOUSLY considering getting either a 2007 (or 2008 once available) ZO6. I also did love the PASM button - left it off most of the time (but it was fun to kick on in the twisties). Given your experience, what are your thoughts on:

-James
James,

I don't have any problems in/out of driveways with the vette. It is slightly lower then the 997s but higher then a GT3.
The vette has great headroom....actually outside of the fact that you loose the small back seats it has more room overall then the 997s. The ability to put to sets of clubs in the hatch is great.
Driving position is lower in the vette. You are slightly farther back and lower. This is the biggest difference that I had to get use to. The vette felt longer due to the longer hood out front. I felt ackward at first but now it feels comfortable. You WILL feel much different in the seat of the Z06. But you will adjust quickly. The shifter is slightly less smooth. I have posted a thread about it a while back. It is cold here in chicago so that might be a factor. I had it out last night and I didn't notice any problems. I also needed to adjust the feel of when to shift (at what RPM) and it work smoothly. It is not quite as smooth as the porsche but very close. Once you get use to the car it is so much more fun to drive then the porsche...and that is saying alot. The power difference is incredable. Anyway...go test drive one if your unsure. If you after status....get the porsche. Good luck

trapp
Old 03-04-2007, 11:42 AM
bondmid003
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmy_james

-James
Good luck with your future purchase James, you can't go wrong with the Z
Old 03-04-2007, 12:12 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Good to see that you are out driving your Z. Keep us posted.

trapp

Get notified of new replies

To 997s trade update

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] 997s trade update