Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Rear Tire Wear...your input needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Rear Tire Wear...your input needed

I had to replace the rears @ 8k miles because of uneven tread wear. I noticed at about 5k miles that the inside treads were wore much more than the outsides (1/32's to 5/32's a 32's difference at each of the 5 tread gaps across the tires). after another 3k miles the insides were showing cord and I replaced them.

Now, with 13,500 miles the rears are just the opposite with the outside treads worn down.

Here are some details that may have some impact on your assessment:

my engine was replaced @ 3,828 miles and the tech dropped the entire drive train (both front and rear subframes) to replace the engine. I asked the tech to lower the suspension to the min stock settings when he put it back together. When I complained about the tire wear @ 5k miles they checked the alignment and said it was perfect. no changes since...

The fronts are wearing perfect with 4/32's left (50%) @ 13,500 miles

Your opinons are much apprieciated.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:11 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Alignment.

In the future with either Z51 or Z06 tires, they can be flipped right to left to even their wear. They are not directional.
Just remember that R=L with your DIC pressure monitor until you switch them back.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:29 AM
Andi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also remember when doing an alignment to spec your camber for however much cornering your doing. Stock 06+ Z06 spec is for your medium-aggressive street driving... it'll wear the insides if all you do is cruise or wear the outsides if you go on twisty roads and go *****-out...

Andi
Old 04-22-2007, 01:14 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Hoonose
Alignment.

In the future with either Z51 or Z06 tires, they can be flipped right to left to even their wear. They are not directional.
Just remember that R=L with your DIC pressure monitor until you switch them back.

learned after new tires at 11K
Old 04-22-2007, 01:31 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
When I complained about the tire wear @ 5k miles they checked the alignment and said it was perfect. no changes since...
I would say they were incorrect. When both rears are wearing out too fast on the inside or too fast on the outside, the problem is that the alignment and your driving are not in sync. If the outsides are wearing faster at this point, you need additional negative camber. Take the car to a real alignment place and find out what the current settings are. Leave the fronts alone, make sure both of the rears are at -1.0 camber, no toe. If they are already at -1.0, take them to -1.25. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:55 AM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I just replaced all four of my tires at 8K. I noticed the same type of wear pattern as the original poster. The outsides of all tires were most heavily worn. Kind of surprising that I only got 8K miles in that I have never dragged or tracked the car.

The noise level was much, much lower with the new rubber.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Blitz_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same issue. I have 12k miles and my outside rears are worn.

I just got a "service active handling system soon" light, so she is go in for that. I'll have them check the alignment while she is there.

Oh, you might want to buy your tires now, the rears are on special and cost less tha the fronts.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:15 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose
Alignment.

If you flip them side to side without remounting them you won't change the inside to outside wear. The outside of your right tire has just become the outside of your left tire. Song remains the same.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Andi
Also remember when doing an alignment to spec your camber for however much cornering your doing. Stock 06+ Z06 spec is for your medium-aggressive street driving... it'll wear the insides if all you do is cruise or wear the outsides if you go on twisty roads and go *****-out...

Andi
I'd like to find out more about this...I my case the 1st set wore out based on your 1st scenario and the 2nd set on your 2nd scenario.

I didn't change my driving style...which is fairly non-aggressive, except for short straight line bursts. I save the ***** out driving for the track and my Hoosier R6's

Also, like 6Speeder said, you can't flip them to the other side...outside is still outside. You would have to have them re-mounted and put the "this side out" printed on the tire, on the inside. which speaks to something here...the tires are design to have a specific side out.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
If you flip them side to side without remounting them you won't change the inside to outside wear. The outside of your right tire has just become the outside of your left tire. Song remains the same.

Sheesh!
You're right!

From personal experience with my C6, flipping ain't worth much anyway.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:55 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

My rears wore out very unevenly in 7k. The dealer said my alignment was to spec. I took the car to a shop that specializes in alignments... they said both the toe and camber where out of wack. IMO Chevy dealers are good for warranty work and thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wont even let them change my oil.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:59 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C5 Frank
I took the car to a shop that specializes in alignments... they said both the toe and camber where out of wack.
Frank out of curiousity where did you go?

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Tire Wear...your input needed

Quick Reply: [Z06] Rear Tire Wear...your input needed