Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] VARARAM Install Picture

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:25 AM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Default VARARAM Install Picture

We are done with our contribution to the testing for the new VARARAM unit. A few minor tweaks are getting made for fitment and I just completed the instructions tonight. All of our street testing has yielded no issues. The car seems to have some "hard charge" on the big end which is typically of a ram air unit like this. The ported TB and intake are going next. Too many changes to soon doesn't help to really evaluate these mods. The E38 is pretty smart and needs to put through some good cycling before results can be conclusive.

Looks like its finally around the corner!

Howard
Old 04-22-2007, 01:14 AM
UBNZO6D
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 71 Posts

Soooooooooooooooo, no numbers? Just pics !!!

Greg
Old 04-22-2007, 09:17 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Man that looks sweet. The more I see and read about the VaraRam intake the more impressed I am.

But while I one, my car is a daily driver and no matter how many times I read there is no "fear" of water ingestion I can't get over that hurdle and buy one.

Tom
Old 04-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Man that looks sweet. The more I see and read about the VaraRam intake the more impressed I am.

But while I one, my car is a daily driver and no matter how many times I read there is no "fear" of water ingestion I can't get over that hurdle and buy one.

Tom
Tom,

I understand your concerns.....but....you would have to go nose deep into a 1 foot puddle to have that happen. Hopefully if one did get caught in a situation like that caution would be used regardless.

A rainy day drive is not going to hydro the motor.

All of our testing has been real road driving thus far. From what we are able to track via MAF and trims, the VR is moving more air. Just by feel the car seems to really pull harder through the peak torque range. We are hopefully going to get some dynoing in today. This car had a air filter (performance type) on the car already so I don't expect the gains over where we where to be significant. The VARARAM shines at road speeds.

Howard
Old 04-22-2007, 02:17 PM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

so it looks like you got to take the MAF probe out and put it in the Vararam unit????
Old 04-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NC_EB_Z06
so it looks like you got to take the MAF probe out and put it in the Vararam unit????
Yes. Two screws and its swapped. Just have to make sure it gets installed in the correct position. We noted that in the instructions!
Old 04-22-2007, 07:07 PM
American Power
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the LPE cam package, is this a much different set up than their intake?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:52 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

It looks sweet Howard...nice and clean.

Trust me, I know how much these LS series motors like cooler & higher volume of air.

Carlos
Old 04-25-2007, 08:43 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Redline Motorsports
Tom,

I understand your concerns.....but....you would have to go nose deep into a 1 foot puddle to have that happen. Hopefully if one did get caught in a situation like that caution would be used regardless.

A rainy day drive is not going to hydro the motor.

All of our testing has been real road driving thus far. From what we are able to track via MAF and trims, the VR is moving more air. Just by feel the car seems to really pull harder through the peak torque range. We are hopefully going to get some dynoing in today. This car had a air filter (performance type) on the car already so I don't expect the gains over where we where to be significant. The VARARAM shines at road speeds.

Howard
Does the LS2 version air bridge look as nice as the LS7's???? I don't recall seeing the brushed silver bands on the LS2 version.

Tom
Old 04-25-2007, 10:24 AM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did I miss the post showing the dyno results or has this happened yet?

Looks like a very clean straight forward unit but it's all about the final results isn't it?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:44 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by RoHo
Did I miss the post showing the dyno results or has this happened yet?

Looks like a very clean straight forward unit but it's all about the final results isn't it?
Rog, don't expect better numbers than a "non-ram" performance system when tested statically. "Ram-Air" is beneficial only after the air stream over comes the parasitic drag of the CAI. You'd need a dyno with a variable fan (matching wind speed to roller speed) to realize the benefits on a graph.
For instance; on my bike it makes 1 psi air box pressurization at 135mph. This works out to add'l 15 HP.

Get notified of new replies

To VARARAM Install Picture

Quick Reply: [Z06] VARARAM Install Picture