Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Engine pinging

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:31 PM
TaxGuy
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine pinging

How much engine pinging is normal? Lately, my engine seems to ping more than it used to. When I turn my engine off, it will ping for at least 2 or 3 minutes and fairly loudly. Should I be concerned? I only use premium gas. The engine is stock with the exception of a B&B exhaust system (at least as far as I know since I bought the car with about 1,500 miles on it). Any thoughts would be appreciated
Old 04-23-2007, 02:36 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by TaxGuy
How much engine pinging is normal? Lately, my engine seems to ping more than it used to. When I turn my engine off, it will ping for at least 2 or 3 minutes and fairly loudly. Should I be concerned?
Not only yes, but HELL YES!
I only use premium gas. The engine is stock with the exception of a B&B exhaust system (at least as far as I know since I bought the car with about 1,500 miles on it). Any thoughts would be appreciated
I'd have it reflashed right now.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:55 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think he meant it "pings" for 2-3 "seconds" after he shuts down. If thats the case, thats a totally normal sound of your driveline at shut-off. If it bothers you, leave the clutch in when you hit the start/stop button and it should be much more quiet.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

Once the engine is off, this is nothing more cool down sounds. Mine does it all the time.

You have nothing to worry about, UNLESS the engine is dieseling(where you turn off the engine ignition, but it contiues to run and sounds like a diesel engine). If it is doing the dieseling thing, then you have problems.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:48 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't feed a Z06 just a base C6 but I've noticed a WIDE range of quality in so called premium gas....even from the same station ( 'course they all get their gas from the same truck lol but won't admit it ). It's a gamble and you never know what you get.

And...in both the C6 and Z06 the engine management system is supposed to detect the knock faster than a human can even blink and reset the timing to eliminate it. That's the theory.....you are supposed to be able to feed a C6 87 octane and in short order the car will stop pinging but have lost a bit of power.

So....if your car is pinging at all I don't think it's performing as advertised. I'd suggest you take it in for warranty repair and keep taking it back if it keeps pinging then lemon law it if if doesn't stop.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:00 PM
TaxGuy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by BLU-BY-U
I think he meant it "pings" for 2-3 "seconds" after he shuts down. If thats the case, thats a totally normal sound of your driveline at shut-off. If it bothers you, leave the clutch in when you hit the start/stop button and it should be much more quiet.
Actually, it pings for 2 to 3 MINUTES. It sounds like a small metal ball bearing clanging inside the engine. There's no unusual sound when driving. It just happens after I shut the engine off.

Now I'm concerned the previous owner flashed the computer
Old 04-23-2007, 04:02 PM
TaxGuy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I don't feed a Z06 just a base C6 but I've noticed a WIDE range of quality in so called premium gas....even from the same station ( 'course they all get their gas from the same truck lol but won't admit it ). It's a gamble and you never know what you get.

And...in both the C6 and Z06 the engine management system is supposed to detect the knock faster than a human can even blink and reset the timing to eliminate it. That's the theory.....you are supposed to be able to feed a C6 87 octane and in short order the car will stop pinging but have lost a bit of power.

So....if your car is pinging at all I don't think it's performing as advertised. I'd suggest you take it in for warranty repair and keep taking it back if it keeps pinging then lemon law it if if doesn't stop.
Thanks for your input. I'll be taking it to the dealer this week and get it looked at.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Actually, it pings for 2 to 3 MINUTES. It sounds like a small metal ball bearing clanging inside the engine. There's no unusual sound when driving. It just happens after I shut the engine off.

I suggest you get someone who knows what they are doing to check it.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:07 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wow, ok, thanks for the clarification. I was trying to hold out hope for "a no big deal" type circumstance, but with this info, gees, take it in asap. probably flat bed it if you're paranoid like me. good luck and let us know what the dealer finds
Old 04-23-2007, 04:50 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

You are likely just hearing the various engine materials cooling at different rates.

If your engine were pinging (as in spark knock, ie diesling, etc) for several minutes after you'd shut off the fuel and spark, you'd have invented a perpetual motion device.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:53 PM
SD Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
You are likely just hearing the various engine materials cooling at different rates.

If your engine were pinging (as in spark knock, ie diesling, etc) for several minutes after you'd shut off the fuel and spark, you'd have invented a perpetual motion device.
exactly
Old 04-23-2007, 05:04 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Sometimes when I shut mine down it makes a sound like water dripping on a hot pipe ( which is exactly what is happening from a/c ) Wonder if this is what you are hearing. 2 or 3 minutes after you turn it off is pretty crazy.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:27 PM
docb
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

Agreed, this is normal with an aluminum block, that tinkling sound as it cools down. Is this what you're hearing?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:00 PM
TaxGuy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by docb
Agreed, this is normal with an aluminum block, that tinkling sound as it cools down. Is this what you're hearing?
I suppose that could be it but I'm not sure. My friend who owns a Z06 as well says he hears nothing when he turns his engine off.

I'm trying to think of a better way to describe it.... It's a metallic sound. Imagine if someone were inside the engine tapping the engine block with a small metal object like a screwdriver in a random, sometimes rapid fire action.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:21 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I suppose that could be it but I'm not sure. My friend who owns a Z06 as well says he hears nothing when he turns his engine off.

I'm trying to think of a better way to describe it.... It's a metallic sound. Imagine if someone were inside the engine tapping the engine block with a small metal object like a screwdriver in a random, sometimes rapid fire action.
Like I said, I think its water from a/c sizzling when it drips on hot exhaust pipes. Sounds pretty much just like that.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Tony007
Advanced

sounds like it's the exhaust system. My 997TT certainly makes this sound as the exhaust cools down.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:33 PM
TaxGuy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jbp8653
Like I said, I think its water from a/c sizzling when it drips on hot exhaust pipes. Sounds pretty much just like that.
Are you actually hearing a "sizzling sound" or just a pinging sound? Is the sound coming from the engine bay?

Get notified of new replies

To Engine pinging

Old 04-23-2007, 06:55 PM
sbennett5
Instructor

Are you actually hearing a "sizzling sound" or just a pinging sound? Is the sound coming from the engine bay?
How can an engine ping after it is turned off? Doesn't there have to be some sort of detonation going on the cylinders (ie. the motor is still running) to ping?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:09 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the record, PINGING/KNOCKING is when the smooth burning flame front is interrupted by the unburned mixture in the combustion chamber exploding before the flame front can reach it.
THIS is extremely bad.

You're talking about some noise the car makes when the engine is OFF.
This is not the "pinging" most people think of.

Just making that clear!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Normal exhaust system contraction cool down noises. Mine does it too. Never even gave it a thought.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Engine pinging