Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Transmission Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Z06505HPWR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Chatter

I've owned my C6 Z06 for 1 1/2 years now, and after the 1st week, I complained about the chatter coming from the tranny at low speed accelerations from a dead stop. The service manager said it was something I have to live with. Something about looser tolerances to accomodate alot of torch B.S., and that the only way to remove the chatter, is to just go faster. Has anybody else experienced this, and is there a better explanation or a fix to this annoying noise?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:11 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 387 Likes on 242 Posts

Do you have a sound clip? Have you checked the trans fluid quality,quantity? If I remember, there were some cars that had the wrong oil installed from Bowling Green in the trannys.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Z06505HPWR
Instructor

Originally Posted by NORTY
Do you have a sound clip? Have you checked the trans fluid quality,quantity? If I remember, there were some cars that had the wrong oil installed from Bowling Green in the trannys.

Thanks for the tip. This service manager was pretty arogant, and insisted that it was something I had to live with.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:28 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

isn't this the issue that's helped by changing the diff fluid w/ an additive?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:41 PM
PARISICC
Advanced

I just picked mine up on Thursday and have noticed the same thing. I saw this thread and figured I would hop on even though I will try searching.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:27 PM
Z06505HPWR
Instructor

Originally Posted by PARISICC
I just picked mine up on Thursday and have noticed the same thing. I saw this thread and figured I would hop on even though I will try searching.
So you noticed the same thing. Hmmmm, and your Z isn't even a week old. The above comment about new diff fluid w/additive sounds like it makes sense. This is crazy. I was at a fund raiser car show on Saturday, and as I drove off in front of all these old car guys, my rear end was making all this noise, so I just launched a little faster, and it went away.

This business from the dealership about just live with the noise doesn't sit right with me!
Old 05-21-2007, 06:36 PM
CORVETTE007
Pro

Mine did the same thing when I first picked it up a week ago today. Slow steady start in 1st and it sounded to me like something was rattling / vibrating against an exhaust pipe (about the best I can explain the noise ). Car had 5 miles on it when I picked it up.

Now, with that said, I have about 130 Miles on it now and I don't recall hearing it today when driving, and I've been driving the same (pretty conservative).

Haven't even had it over 3000 RPM yet

I guess I'm just taking it slow and getting used to the car first.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by urslooow
isn't this the issue that's helped by changing the diff fluid w/ an additive?

The differential clutch chatter would only happen when the vehicle is turning - 1 rear wheel moving at a different speed than the other. I noticed it when reversing and turning on cold starts.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 05-21-2007, 06:54 PM
PARISICC
Advanced

thanks for posting something that makes sense...now that i think about it...i think that every time i hear it is when starting off making a turn. i'll double check that today.

i'm guessing it's normal but i'm kind of curious as to whether a lot of people are doing something about it or not
Old 05-21-2007, 07:51 PM
TeddyFreddy
Drifting

Default "Marbles in a can" noises

The C6 Z06 always makes these noises when "torturing" engine (low rpm, too much load while giving it too little gas). Other Corvettes do it as well but I have no direct experience with them. It is normal, don't worry.

Our beloved big engine makes well... big vibrations... and it does not like low rpm.

It is not the transmission, it is the tunnel/tube between the engine and the transmission (tranny is at the back of the car, for those that don't know yet).

Just give it gas! Or use a lower gear if applicable.
Also mastering the clutch helps a lot (smooth release while applying gas).

New guys enjoy the car! This is no rolling couch Lexus, it is a raw FUN-machine!! I love it!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:58 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Ahhh .. the sweet sound of the Marbles in a can. That's all it is, low RPM 1st gear slow launch. Had it on my C5, was expalined in the C5's GM DVD and have it on my '07 ZO6, just a little "faster" throttle and clutch modulation and the sound is gone. Enjoy the ride
Old 05-21-2007, 11:01 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by PARISICC
thanks for posting something that makes sense...now that i think about it...i think that every time i hear it is when starting off making a turn. i'll double check that today.

i'm guessing it's normal but i'm kind of curious as to whether a lot of people are doing something about it or not
There is a bulletin for differential clutch pack chatter. Fluid change with additive and you're on your way - very easy.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Methinks he's hearing the proverbial "marbles in a can" as well. Some drivers never hear it because of their technique, those that lug the engine during clutch release do hear it frequently. All the cars can make that sound with the "right/wrong" driver. Give it more gas on the start and report back.

The differential clutch pack issue is a noticeable "grinding" noise during low speed sharp turns.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Dizz
Pro

Default Stick Shift Chatter

I too have had the same problem and actually on the advice of my friend, and fellow 06 owner, suggested I contact Kentucky. The reply came back within a day. They acknowleged the problem and told me that just the week before(about 3 weeks ago) they had developed a fix for it. There is only a drawing number now, not a part number, but stay tuned. You should have your service manager contact the plant.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:34 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

They all make the noises... it is the character of the car. If it bothers you that much there is only one known fix... SELL IT.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:59 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The "marbles in a can" is a characteristic of the Tremec T-56 at low speeds. My 04 Cobra had the same noise, only worse, at low RPMs.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Dizz
Pro

I guess you did not read my response since GM acknowleged to me via email that there was a problem and have a fix for it. What don't you understand?

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Chatter

Old 05-22-2007, 11:08 AM
TeddyFreddy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dizz
I guess you did not read my response since GM acknowleged to me via email that there was a problem and have a fix for it. What don't you understand?
You are free to waste your time and have your car "fixed".
But you may want to write more details about these noises.
I still believe is this: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...09&postcount=1
Old 05-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Dizz
Pro

I know the noise you are referring to and don't have a problem with it. The noise I mention is during acceleration. It sound like the gearshift is rattling back and forth.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:00 PM
TeddyFreddy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dizz
I know the noise you are referring to and don't have a problem with it. The noise I mention is during acceleration. It sound like the gearshift is rattling back and forth.
OK. Then it is the shifter rattle?
There are many posts about it and it looks like it can be eliminated with an aftermarket shift **** (heavier than stock).
I don't have the problem so far, but that would be an easy fix. Plus I don't like the stock **** anyway.
Indeed for this shifter rattle there is a solution promised by BG.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Transmission Chatter