Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Replace Brake Fluid Like Clutch Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 01:10 AM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replace Brake Fluid Like Clutch Fluid?

Can I replace my brake fluid as Ranger has suggested we do with our clutch fluid? Seems like it would be a no brainer to keep the brake fluid clean, right? Or, would I just get air into the system?
Old 07-22-2007, 01:17 AM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A power bleeder is the best way to change brake fluid. Power bleeders completely flush the system by either forcing fluid through the system under pressure, or by sucking fluid through the system from the bottom. I have both types of bleeders and they both work well. Its the only way to flush the system. Just let it run till the fluid runs clear...
Old 07-22-2007, 02:25 AM
JJMalone
Drifting

Another option is speed bleeders. You can do a search and find their site. You replace your bleeder valves at the calipers. They have a one way valve built into them so you can attach a silicon hose, crack them and pump fluid through and they will not allow air to come back in when brake pedal is released. That way you can change the fluid in your master cylinder and pump though fresh fluid. I remove the master cylinder cap and clean any condensation off, add some new fluid and bleed fluid from a different caliper every time I service the car. It stays clean throughout the system that way. The part number for the stainless speed bleeders is SB1010S, the Z06 takes 8 of them.
JJ
Old 07-22-2007, 03:16 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pio
Can I replace my brake fluid as Ranger has suggested we do with our clutch fluid? Seems like it would be a no brainer to keep the brake fluid clean, right? Or, would I just get air into the system?
If you're not tracking the car, the pad replacement interval is probably sufficient for brake fluid changes. If you're tracking the car, you need to be a lot more rigorous for all fluids and maintenance items.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:19 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pio
Brake fluid doesn't circulate through the reservoir like the clutch fluid, so the RANGER clutch method wouldn't be very effective when used on brakes. You really want to get the burned fluid out of the calipers, so you need to bleed through the bleed valves on all 4 wheels.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Larry T
Racer

JJ...is that a GM p/n?
Originally Posted by JJMalone
Another option is speed bleeders. You can do a search and find their site. You replace your bleeder valves at the calipers. They have a one way valve built into them so you can attach a silicon hose, crack them and pump fluid through and they will not allow air to come back in when brake pedal is released. That way you can change the fluid in your master cylinder and pump though fresh fluid. I remove the master cylinder cap and clean any condensation off, add some new fluid and bleed fluid from a different caliper every time I service the car. It stays clean throughout the system that way. The part number for the stainless speed bleeders is SB1010S, the Z06 takes 8 of them.
JJ
Old 07-22-2007, 05:45 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

just google for speed bleeders. waste of money IMHO.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:27 PM
CJR2
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Pio
I bleed the brakes last weekend. I used a synthetic DOT 3/4 compatible brake fluid as I've heard the DOT 3 will boil on track days. Unfortunately I didn't use a speed bleeder, just a hose over the fittings, one wheel at a time. Definitely not the way to go, very messy!

I haven't done the clutch fluid. Could you let me know if there is a good link to see the process?
Old 07-22-2007, 09:51 PM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by croberts232
I haven't done the clutch fluid. Could you let me know if there is a good link to see the process?

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

Old 07-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by croberts232
I bleed the brakes last weekend. I used a synthetic DOT 3/4 compatible brake fluid as I've heard the DOT 3 will boil on track days. Unfortunately I didn't use a speed bleeder, just a hose over the fittings, one wheel at a time. Definitely not the way to go, very messy!

Be very careful with synthetic brake fluids at the track. The coefficient of expansion is such that as you heat the fluid the brakes seem to get better. Then, without warning, as heated, the volume decreases and you pull air into the system, you hit the brakes and they go to the floor. Try AP 600.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:35 AM
JJMalone
Drifting

Larry T. That is a SpeedBleaders.com part number.

mousecatcher It's not much money, it works and one person can still bleed the brakes.
JJ

Get notified of new replies

To Replace Brake Fluid Like Clutch Fluid?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Replace Brake Fluid Like Clutch Fluid?