Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] The C6Z06 came in SIXTH PLACE????

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:18 AM
HHZ06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default The C6Z06 came in SIXTH PLACE????

I now this will stir a few emotions but it does not look like the C6 Z06 did as well as many would have anticipated. Regardless, I would be proud to have any of these cars in my garage....

Also, I do not know the accuracy of this, but as posted on another forum (do not know the rules for linking to another forum), it appears that 7 cars were all tested (at different times) under similar conditions. The Z06 came in 6th place.. Here goes:

I found these to be interesting tests at Ford's Arizona Proving Ground using the 5.0 mile oval, GPS to accurately track speed, and all non-modified stock cars. About 2 years ago, Motor Trend tested the Ferrari Enzo, Porsche Carrera GT, and our favorite, the Ford GT, in what they termed "A Twist of Lemans".
See the following link:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...pe_comparison/

Here are the numbers:
Ferrari Enzo, top speed: 211.0 mph, corner speed: 195 mph
Porsche Carrera GT, top speed: 201.5 mph, corner speed: 187 mph
Ford GT, top speed: 200.1 mph, corner speed: 186 mph
Driver was Indy Driver Bryan Herta.
The previous best at Motor Trend had been a Ferrari 550 which hit a top speed of 194.5 mph.

The most recent edition of Motor Trend tests the new 911 GT3 RS, C6 ZO6, new Dodge Viper SRT-10, and Lamborghini LP640. This is not on-line yet. But here are the numbers hot off the press...
LP640, top speed: 191.4 mph, corner speed: 164 mph
new SRT-10, top speed: 180.8 mph, corner speed: 157.2 mph
C6 ZO6, top speed: 177.38 mph, corner speed: 152.5 mph
GT3 RS, top speed: 173 mph, corner speed: 158.5 mph
Driver was Indy Driver Danica Patrick.

Although some of this could be explained by "driver" differences, I can't imagine much, considering Danica is a pretty damn good driver. Obviously, the track is probably not long enough to fully stretch most of these cars legs...nevertheless, it probably says a lot about the technology it takes to take a car to 200 mph on a banked 5.0 mile oval. With the exception of the Porsche GT3 RS, the results largely break down by price range. You can get a lot of value in a car like the ZO6 but there must be compromises as well. It is also interesting about speedometer inaccuracies...Danica says that she "saw about 190 mph on the speedo" in the vette but it obviously was no where near that (probably means a lot of YouTube videos are inaccurate as well).
There is a lot more info on these articles for those interested but I was somewhat pleased with how my baby did!

Old 09-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Vindication
Melting Slicks

From the cars you just mention sounds like this test was with some exotic company. I love my Z06 but there a lot more to a car than just performance. For the Z06 to be even be considered in this event is a great accomplishment for GM.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:47 AM
linutux
Pro

Tires.
5th Gear.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:00 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Regardless of the outcome, I say our beloved ZO6 is in a good neighborhood.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:17 AM
Frenchican
Safety Car

Danica Patrick? Couldn't they get a driver that's won at least one race to judge?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:38 AM
camarodoctor
I ♥ My Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenchican
Danica Patrick? Couldn't they get a driver that's won at least one race to judge?
Old 09-04-2007, 02:10 AM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I would be thrilled to be half the racer she is...

Dean
Old 09-04-2007, 02:47 AM
Wilddr805
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hell that driver is only still racing cause she is female. If I had five years to win a race I would eventually win as well. No guy would have 5 years to win an Indy Race and consider this reverse discrimination guys. Same reason some people get into college with lower grades based on race/income. The Z06 is still a good car for the money and it is no biggie that is does not do well in some tests. Depends on tires and the driver learning how to use the car. Took me a month to learn to launch the car in first and second. You almost won Danica after three cars on front you wrecked on the second to last lap in Detroit. Couple more years of nursing and she will win or else the corporate guys will be sure to tune her car to do so. Awe..gotta love modern day regs/ racing etc. Hell the C6R gets added weight and a restrictor plate which is the only reason the Aston Martin Competes with the car. Shall I go on...nah!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 04:15 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilddr805
Hell that driver is only still racing cause she is female.
Not likely. It's a marketing plus for sure but sponsors and team owners alike want to win races. They don't shell out that kind of money for window dressing. She finished second at Belle Isle this past weekend. I suppose that everyone got out of her way 'cause she's a girl, right?

If I had five years to win a race I would eventually win as well.
It's not Wheel Of Fortune, my friend. It's not the lottery.

No guy would have 5 years to win an Indy Race
1. Not so. There have been many drivers in many series who have NEVER won a race. Ever.

2. Danika is just finishing up her third season in the IRL, not fifth...

Z//
Old 09-04-2007, 04:37 AM
RENNtech
Racer

Originally Posted by vetteship
Regardless of the outcome, I say our beloved ZO6 is in a good neighborhood.
No doubt man, definitely in good company. . . I'm a fan of all those rides.

JJ
Old 09-04-2007, 05:05 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry but 177 on a 5 mile oval sounds bogus to me. I know guys reaching almost 170 on some road courses that have less than a mile of straight uphill. Those speedometers are NOT that far off either. Anyone who has an issue with the speedometer not matching the HUD should get it repaired. The HUD is pretty accurate. That just doesn't souind right from experience. We have guys right here on this forum who have been running that standing start mile race in Texas, beating that ridiculous number.

Last edited by robvuk; 09-04-2007 at 05:07 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:36 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Not likely. It's a marketing plus for sure but sponsors and team owners alike want to win races. They don't shell out that kind of money for window dressing. She finished second at Belle Isle this past weekend. I suppose that everyone got out of her way 'cause she's a girl, right?Z//
Did you watch the Belle Isle race? She finished 2nd because out of the 4 cars in front of her, 3 got caught up in the same accident on the final lap. She was a solid 5th. Now, I know its the books as a 2nd, etc, but if you saw the race, she certainly didn't race to 2nd place finish.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:59 AM
whosurdaddy
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Forgetting the driver, because I think most of us could run any of these cars close to their potential on a 5 mile oval (they only used her b/c she's a name and clearly has some skill, though the comment was funny), the numbers don't look right to me. Track or atmospheric conditions must have impacted performance compared to the 2-year ago test when tires were a bit less good.

Still, comparing them to each other on this test is valid. It caught my attention that the corner speed gap to top speed was big on the Z compared to the Dodge and the Porsche. They go like this:
LP640: 27mph
SRT10: 23
Z06: 25
RS: 15

I would have expected the Z to do slightly better (Lighter & A/H) than the SRT10. I would expect the Porsche to do better here than the Z, but not by 10mph. I have no idea why the Lambo was scary at top speed, causing such a big gap, but that was surprising.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:00 AM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
Sorry but 177 on a 5 mile oval sounds bogus to me. I know guys reaching almost 170 on some road courses that have less than a mile of straight uphill. Those speedometers are NOT that far off either. Anyone who has an issue with the speedometer not matching the HUD should get it repaired. The HUD is pretty accurate. That just doesn't souind right from experience. We have guys right here on this forum who have been running that standing start mile race in Texas, beating that ridiculous number.
I agree, that number sounds very low compared to what we have seen fomr Z's in standing mile races. Something doesn't add up.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:15 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I think this shows why she hasnt won one yet. The 1st three exotics were tested seprately by another driver. In the test she ran, all the cars ran very weak. Just calling it like I see it!!!

She is hot though!!

Last edited by C5 Frank; 09-04-2007 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:16 AM
HHZ06
Pro

I think for some of you, you will never be satisfied until you read what you want to read. I dont know if it is too much ego or lack of maturity.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:50 AM
whosurdaddy
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HHZ06
I think for some of you, you will never be satisfied until you read what you want to read. I dont know if it is too much ego or lack of maturity.
Or maybe just enthusiasm behind the brand.

Get notified of new replies

To The C6Z06 came in SIXTH PLACE????

Old 09-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Plus, I have faith that the few (if any) on this forum who actually have the skills and ***** to beat Danica in a car, also have enough class and wisdom to respect she is a damn good driver.

Oh, and the speedometer error doesn't surprise me at all.

It can vary quite a bit for even the same model of car. It also doesn't have to be linear.

Last edited by Verrückt; 09-04-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:46 PM
HHZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by Verrückt

Plus, I have faith that the few (if any) on this forum who actually have the skills and ***** to beat Danica in a car, also have enough class and wisdom to respect she is a damn good driver.

Oh, and the speedometer error doesn't surprise me at all.

It can vary quite a bit for even the same model of car. It also doesn't have to be linear.
Amen. I have no doubt this thread will quickly die as the noise makers on this forum hate anything that looks like a fact of life. I am, and always have been a car guy and would love to have any of these cars in my garage. Perhaps we should have a maturity meter in our profiles!
Old 09-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Amen. I have no doubt this thread will quickly die as the noise makers on this forum hate anything that looks like a fact of life. I am, and always have been a car guy and would love to have any of these cars in my garage. Perhaps we should have a maturity meter in our profiles!

I picked up the magazine at lunch. I'll scan and post it later.

Quick Reply: [Z06] The C6Z06 came in SIXTH PLACE????