Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Any ZR1 Owners in Houston Running the Lingenfelter GT9 Cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 03:25 PM
JKLNHDE
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Any ZR1 Owners in Houston Running the Lingenfelter GT9 Cam

Getting very close to potentially installing this cam and would like to hear one in person vs youtube sound clips.

Does anybody in Houston have one installed ? Thanks
Old 10-16-2016, 12:37 AM
Bolt-OnZ
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a kp Stg 2, which I believe is very "similar" to a BTR Stg 2.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:01 AM
SquirrelyNutz
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you already have the cam? I have a BTR stage 3 for sale if you'd like it. Can find plenty of videos it is pretty popular. I have heard the GT9 has too aggressive of a exhaust lobe for a street car. Usually ends up damaging the end of the valve.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:02 PM
JKLNHDE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SquirrelyNutz
Do you already have the cam? I have a BTR stage 3 for sale if you'd like it. Can find plenty of videos it is pretty popular. I have heard the GT9 has too aggressive of a exhaust lobe for a street car. Usually ends up damaging the end of the valve.
Both Lingenfelter and Katech use the GT9 in their head and cam and both have stated they have experienced zero problems with it. It APPEARS the issue with valve tip damage is originating from people using the wrong springs/stock springs, wrong pushrods or using the incorrect install height causing a geometry problem. I've read the same internet bashing of the cam. If you have specific knowledge of the cam PLEASE let me know I would appreciate it. Thanks !
Old 10-16-2016, 02:18 PM
SquirrelyNutz
Racer

Originally Posted by JKLNHDE
Both Lingenfelter and Katech use the GT9 in their head and cam and both have stated they have experienced zero problems with it. It APPEARS the issue with valve tip damage is originating from people using the wrong springs/stock springs, wrong pushrods or using the incorrect install height causing a geometry problem. I've read the same internet bashing of the cam. If you have specific knowledge of the cam PLEASE let me know I would appreciate it. Thanks !
I don't know much more than I posted, I'd suggest talking to John Bewley at LJMS, that's who I seen talking about it and he knows much more about camshafts than me. He did say it doesn't matter what springs etc. He also helped me figure out a few valvetrain problems I had and specced me a new cam. A local c6z with the lingenfelter heads cam package dropped a valve shortly after it came to town. Don't know mileage or anything. Apparently lingenfelter does not fix the valve guide issue when they do their heads cam packages. So I don't think I'd go with their advice when it comes to things like this.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:16 PM
JKLNHDE
Burning Brakes

I don't know much more than I posted, I'd suggest talking to John Bewley at LJMS, that's who I seen talking about it and he knows much more about camshafts than me. He did say it doesn't matter what springs etc. He also helped me figure out a few valvetrain problems I had and specced me a new cam. A local c6z with the lingenfelter heads cam package dropped a valve shortly after it came to town. Don't know mileage or anything. Apparently lingenfelter does not fix the valve guide issue when they do their heads cam packages. So I don't think I'd go with their advice when it comes to things like this.
Thanks very much. My intention is to fix the heads while I'm at it whatever I end up doing . From what I gather the problem with the guides is as bad or worse than the LS7 heads. If ZR1s were seeing higher mileage across the board my guess is you would be seeing more dropped valve issues but I'm not an expert.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:02 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

The GT9 cam makes power. It made the highest power output on my car out of all the cams I tried.

If there is one thing LPE knows how to do, it's design of camshafts.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:51 PM
JKLNHDE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WeaponsGradeTorque
The GT9 cam makes power. It made the highest power output on my car out of all the cams I tried.

How many miles do you have on the cam AND have you ever bothered to remove the valve covers and have a look at the valve tips to see if they are damaged? If so, how many miles when you looked? Thank you.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:12 PM
SquirrelyNutz
Racer

What cams did you try? Just because it made good power does not mean it is not way too aggressive and going to cause damage. Also were the cam tests back to back with no other changes just the cam? Haven't seen any of the record holding ZR1s running it.

Last edited by SquirrelyNutz; 10-16-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:15 AM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

I am not saying the lift isn't too aggressive. That's the reason it's not in my car now, although I have not directly observed any valve train damages and I had the cam for 5k miles. I've taken the advice of many others that say the lift is too high. So..... I am just saying the cam made good power on my combination. I agree with you that it's hard to do back to back comparison, but I had no power adder changes when doing the comparison and used the same tuner/dyno. I am not going to list other cam names for that very reason. I currently have the GPTuning stage 3 cam on my car and I am very happy with it. It made more peak power than the BTR stage 3 cam, but less in the low/mid range. That is exactly what I wanted in my setup.

btw....Just because there is no record holder with the cam does not mean it's not a good cam either (from a power perspective). This clip is really old (back in 2009). It had the GT9 cam in it.

What cams did you try? Just because it made good power does not mean it is not way too aggressive and going to cause damage. Also were the cam tests back to back with no other changes just the cam? Haven't seen any of the record holding ZR1s running it.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:52 PM
SquirrelyNutz
Racer

I am not saying the lift isn't too aggressive. That's the reason it's not in my car now, although I have not directly observed any valve train damages and I had the cam for 5k miles. I've taken the advice of many others that say the lift is too high. So..... I am just saying the cam made good power on my combination. I agree with you that it's hard to do back to back comparison, but I had no power adder changes when doing the comparison and used the same tuner/dyno. I am not going to list other cam names for that very reason. I currently have the GPTuning stage 3 cam on my car and I am very happy with it. It made more peak power than the BTR stage 3 cam, but less in the low/mid range. That is exactly what I wanted in my setup.

btw....Just because there is no record holder with the cam does not mean it's not a good cam either (from a power perspective). This clip is really old (back in 2009). It had the GT9 cam in it.
I just brought up the record holder subject because since it is already shown to be overly aggressive on a street car, you would hope it would make up for it in mph at the track. But the fastest cars have less violent lobes, in fact my new cam is even less violent than the BTR stg 3 which isn't known to be hard on things. But less violent of a cam will increase valvetrain stability which will help turn higher RPM plus you don't have such an annoying valvetrain.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:31 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Gotcha. I am in total agreement with you.

I just brought up the record holder subject because since it is already shown to be overly aggressive on a street car, you would hope it would make up for it in mph at the track. But the fastest cars have less violent lobes, in fact my new cam is even less violent than the BTR stg 3 which isn't known to be hard on things. But less violent of a cam will increase valvetrain stability which will help turn higher RPM plus you don't have such an annoying valvetrain.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:38 AM
JKLNHDE
Burning Brakes

But if its set up properly whats the downside? They've probably sold hundreds if not thousands of these GT9's at this point. Thanks
Old 10-18-2016, 10:46 AM
SquirrelyNutz
Racer

But if its set up properly whats the downside? They've probably sold hundreds if not thousands of these GT9's at this point. Thanks
Higher chance of a valvetrain failure. Louder valvetrain as well. Could destroy a lifter and send metal through all the bearings. Or it could be just fine. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Especially since it seems like you just want it for the sound.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:50 AM
JKLNHDE
Burning Brakes

Higher chance of a valvetrain failure. Louder valvetrain as well. Could destroy a lifter and send metal through all the bearings. Or it could be just fine. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Especially since it seems like you just want it for the sound.
Ive never mentioned sound. Sounds got zero to do with this decision though the lack of overlap and near stock idle charactaristics is appealing to me.

Are you running the BTR 3 ?
Old 10-18-2016, 10:56 AM
SquirrelyNutz
Racer

Ive never mentioned sound. Sounds got zero to do with this decision though the lack of overlap and near stock idle charactaristics is appealing to me.

Are you running the BTR 3 ?
Your first post in the thread was asking to hear a car with this cam in person. I was, now I'm going to a custom LJMS cam.

Get notified of new replies

To Any ZR1 Owners in Houston Running the Lingenfelter GT9 Cam

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Any ZR1 Owners in Houston Running the Lingenfelter GT9 Cam