Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Removed front mesh grill, now can't put it back.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:32 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Removed front mesh grill, now can't put it back.

This will sound kinda stupid but I can't reinstall the OEM mesh grill. It's held in place by 10 plastic snap-in pins. I can't seem to push those pins back in The reason is that the front fascia, where those pins go, is very flexible. Everytime I tried to push a pin in, it would give, it needs to be held in place firmly. There's no easy way to do this that I can see. Surely some of you must have removed the stock grill, how did you refasten it? At this time, I'm thinking of just getting the RaceMesh grill, hopefully it's held in place with something else other than the snap-in pins.

Thanks,

Last edited by 427Z0SX; 09-20-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:08 PM
teds427
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree putting the grill back in is a real bioch. You can do it just take your time, I did this in 06 when Carlos first came out with the vette air, I don't recall how I put the push pins back, I know I used surgery clamps to hold the pin and align it through the grill, then probally a flat screwdriver to push the pin back in. Hope this helps, I agree a real pain!Hang in there good luck
Old 09-20-2007, 11:31 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

It is a real pain. I removed mine when i installed vette-air. After struggling with it in the same way you are I did it this way. You need 2 flatblade screw drivers. with one screw driver you need to press down real hard on the edge of the piece that goes through the fascia. Then with the pin inserted in the hole of that piece you are pressing down hard on, use the other screwdriver to press the pin firmly in. Its hard to work around egg crate in grill but with a little patience you can get yourself positioned to apply enough downforce and get the 2 screwdrivers in the right place so you can do this. Hope this helps
Old 09-20-2007, 11:39 PM
EVILNESS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

haha let me make ur life that much easier now i hope u have small hands... Pull the car on ramps and remove the bottom flimsy peace of plastic or rubber that is held by 4 screws under the front bumper. then stick ur hand in there in order to hold on to the screws with your other hand push the pins in thru the front and presto... let me know if u have any other questions im a pro at this now...

R.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:52 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Yep, my car has been on ramps for a while now. I did removed 3 screws to fold down that flimsy piece of plastic. I stuck my hand & part of arm in and held the screw. So far so good. My problem is that when pushing a screw down, the bumper/fascia (whatever it's called) moves with my downward force. That's why the screw can't go in. I need some upward resistance in order to push the screw through. Oh well, let me give it another shot, and also try jbp8653's method.

Thanks guys,

Originally Posted by Evilness
haha let me make ur life that much easier now i hope u have small hands... Pull the car on ramps and remove the bottom flimsy peace of plastic or rubber that is held by 4 screws under the front bumper. then stick ur hand in there in order to hold on to the screws with your other hand push the pins in thru the front and presto... let me know if u have any other questions im a pro at this now...

R.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:15 AM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Evilness

R.
Love your avatar!
Who is she?

Ron
Old 09-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

sounds like a pain

note to self...do not remove stock grill just to clean in there. (I was thinking about it)
Old 09-21-2007, 01:23 AM
AZ FASTEST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
Love your avatar!
Who is she?

Ron
Model Adriana Lima

Old 09-21-2007, 11:12 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jorday
sounds like a pain

note to self...do not remove stock grill just to clean in there. (I was thinking about it)
I removed it to install the Vette-Air. If you want to clean the area behind the grill, there's a much much easier way. Underneath the bumper, below the radiator, there is a very soft, flimsy flap of plastic that is held in place by 3 screws. Remove those screws and you have great access to the area behind the grill.

Anyways, for anybody else contemplating removing and reinstalling the OEM grill, here's some useful info. Of the 10 snap-in pins, only 6 are necessary. Of those 6, I was able to reuse the pins on 2, the other 4 I ended up using zip-ties. I could've zip-tied all 6 if I'd wanted to. Summary: zipties are much easier to "install" and cut off.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:44 PM
jan eric
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not know of the "flimsy plastic method" and even at this point do not own the proper ramp either. I used 'tweezer" pliers and a flat screw driver. The most fun during this 2-3 hours reinstall was retrieving the push-pins that shot off the pliers. I finally replaced all ten . I lost a Key to one push-pin and called dealer who wanted $11.23 for 1 push pin. I went to auto store and bought one that would not fit but was able to use the key in the bottom half of the push-pin I did not launch into oblivion. Cost 69 cents.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ FASTEST
Model Adriana Lima
WOW, she's gerogeous!!

I didn't realize that's the VS girl.

ron
Old 09-21-2007, 11:02 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

yes she is, and so easy for us to get distracted Mesh grill what

Get notified of new replies

To Removed front mesh grill, now can't put it back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Removed front mesh grill, now can't put it back.