Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Installed the Halltech Killer Bee Attack Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:17 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Default Installed the Halltech Killer Bee Attack Stage 1

I've had my '05 coupe for almost 3 years now. It's got a Honker, Kooks, Corsas. I have a FAST I was going to get ported, and 1.8 ratio rockers, springs, and pushrods I was going to put on.

Butt.....I got a Zeee! Anybody need some C6 stuff :; I'll be demoding the C6 before I sell it (unless somebody here that knows what they're getting wants it as is!).

I got my used '06 Z06 3 weeks ago. It was bone stock, but was DSOM like my '05 (I like the color, and I do live in Daytona!)

I've put about 1,200 miles on it since I got it and have been so pleased with it that I didn't really know if I'd do much to it. My C6 really benefitted from even the DiabloSport Predator tune that I installed - it really perked up the throttle response and I was able to zero out the LTFT's and do some minimal tuning with the Predator. So....over the past few weeks I decided I'd get a tune.

I was thinking of getting HPTuners or LS2Edit and getting into it, but it looked a little daunting with a bit of time before I'd work my way up the learning curve.

I've been reading all the stuff here and was zeroing in on doing something fairly minimal. I got the wireless control for the exhaust butterflies and I'm completely happy with the exhaust. I really like the Katech mods, but didn't feel like headers and a cam at this time - the damn car is so fantastic as it is!!!! But something was still missing - the more rapid throttle response and faster power build up that I think I got even with the Predator tune on my C6.

Looking at the stuff that Katech does showed that they use the Halltech Killer Bee AAIS (Ambient Air Intake System) with their Street Attack packages that get up over 600 hp. I looked at the Halltech site and saw that they have claims of the Killer Bee adding about 12 hp. I've seen Halltech post up dyno sheets, so I didn't think they're trying to inflate anything.

I continued to think about it over the last couple weeks, then saw Jim Hall post about their Halltech Killer Bee Attack Stage 1 package. It looked pretty expensive because all you get is the Killer Bee intake and an email tune, which is advertised to give you something like 26 hp. But, along with that, you also get a copy of LS2Edit licensed to your car, and a couple of additional Jim Hall tunes, so if I do headers or a cam in the future I can get more customized tuning. I can also play around with LS2Edit and start to learn all the features, or I can zap the PCM back to stock at any time.

Well......last week I sprung for the Killer Bee Attack Stage 1. It took about 20 minutes to install the new intake the other day. I drove around with just the intake and couldn't tell any SOTP results - you just can't feel an additional 12 hp very much when you're already putting down 505.
Yesterday I loaded up my LS2Edit program on my laptop and downloaded my stock PCM data into a file on the computer. I opened it up with LS2Edit and looked at a lot of the parameters in there, including stuff like when the CAGS is programmed to inhibit your 1-2 shift and make you do a 1-4. Last night I emailed my stock tune to Jim and this morning I got an email from him with my Killer Bee tune this morning.

Jim said:
"Here is your Killer Bee File. This is new and improved and should ROCK YOUR WORLD!.
Developed on the dyno, and Tech 2 this will net between 474 and 482 RWHP depending on the air, dyno, baro, and many other factors. All timing safety features are intact, and about 3 degrees more timing. 12.5:1 air fuel ratio.
This is our new Killer Bee Attack file, and it makes my car go sideways on the freeway at 90 mph! The cam helps, but we have this one dialed in".

Jim Hall
I thought, "yeah, right". I hoped I would get a little faster power build up from the throttle coming in a little faster, but didn't figure I'd really be able to tell much SOTP from increased hp because of what the engine already puts out.

Before installing the tune I opened it up with LS2Edit and took a look at a few of the changes. It's going to take me a while to understand all the stuff that's been done, but I did notice the CAGS feature was completely tuned out (when you install a skip-shift eliminator on the solenoid you still get the 1-4 shift light when in that range, but when it's tuned out you don't get the light anymore).

I took my laptop out to the garage and installed my new tune. Jim says to then go out and drive about 20 miles to let the PCM start to learn the new fuel trim settings. I started up and drove out of my housing area a couple miles, letting things warm up.

Right off, the throttle response seemed better - one of the things I was really looking for.

After a couple of miles I was still in some traffic, but the car seemed to pull stronger when I had a couple chances to get on it.

Then I got out onto the highway - HOLY SCHNIT!!!! The SOTP dyno pull power in the 4,000 to 6,000 rpm range sure seems a LOT stronger than it was before. Today was a nice 65 degree day (quite a bit cooler than it has been) and that would help, but I am totally pleased with what the intake and the tune have done to the car. One of the reasons I went with a rather expensive package was because the LS2Edit tuning software was included, so I could start to learn something about doing it myself. But even though this was only the Killer Bee intake and an email tune, it sure gave me a LOT more SOTP satisfaction than I got out of similar priced mods on the C6, such as the Kooks.

So....I'm very happy with what I think is just as advertised by Halltech - an additional approximately 40 hp from the Killer Bee intake and a great tune. I'm so satisfied that I don't know whether I'll be getting any other mods - well, not right away! :;

Bob
Old 11-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

You are just one of many very happy Jim Hall customers. Not only do you have an excellent package but when better tunes come along you are set to upgrade. Also, if you make other changes Jim can change the tune as needed so you can get the most out of the changes you made. Wait until it warms up and you can get the car to hook up and you will be more pleased.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:51 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
You are just one of many very happy Jim Hall customers. Not only do you have an excellent package but when better tunes come along you are set to upgrade. Also, if you make other changes Jim can change the tune as needed so you can get the most out of the changes you made. Wait until it warms up and you can get the car to hook up and you will be more pleased.
Oh yeah! I'm extremely pleased with the intake and Jim's tune!!

The power comes on faster and the mid-band pull seems a LOT stronger on my SOTP dyno.

And I've got LS2Edit to play around with and learn some stuff about tuning, get updated tunes from Jim, or I can put the stock file back into the PCM at any time.

I highly recommend Jim's package. I got Stage 1 and thought that would be all I'd need, but I'm already thinking about going to Stage 2 with the Kooks headers!

Help!! - I'm modding and I can't stop!!!!

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Installed the Halltech Killer Bee Attack Stage 1

Quick Reply: [Z06] Installed the Halltech Killer Bee Attack Stage 1